6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

03' F250 Powerstroke 6.0 - Fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:07 PM
CKitts
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' F250 Powerstroke 6.0 - Fuel filter?

I've read quite a bit of these forums over the last few months, and against lots and lots of advice not to, I went ahead and purchased a 6.0.

After 3 weeks, and 3 tanks of gas I picked up my daughter and went to drive out of a parking lot. As I crested the hill the truck stalled out. I immediately tried to turn it over and no luck. It cranked fine, but didn't appear to be getting gas. After several attempts I still didn't smell diesel or hear any change in the engine.

A friend said it could be filters, so I immediately went and replaced both filters. With the crankshaft plug/filter off I turned the key to see if gas would spew. Nothing. After replacing both filters, and putting the plugs back in tight it still wouldn't start.

Last night I read something about checking the fuse for the pump. So first thing this morning, I pulled the fuse, it looked fine so I replaced it. The truck started right up and ran for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes I turned it off, then tried again.. no go. It turns over but sounds like no gas is getting to it.

3 hours later I was told to put 5 gallons of diesel in the tank and put a new fuse into the fuel pump slot. After doing both it started again fine. Ran for 5 minutes then started to chug and shake like it wasn't getting enough gas. I shut it off and tried again. No luck.

The only other thing I have done in the last week was tie a bazooka tube ground into one of the black grounds that feeds into under the truck. (I really dont' think this is the issue but I'm going to move it now that I"m aware it could be the fuel pump ground).

Old 03-29-2012, 02:52 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Is the fuel pump fuse blowing? If so, you may have a bad fuel pump and it needs to be replaced. Or it may be bad wiring. Check the fuel pump connector for corrosion and signs of heat damage.

I don't see fuel filters blowing the fuse.

Just FYI, Motorcraft or Racor fuel and oil filters only, and make sure you have the OEM filter caps.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:58 PM
CKitts
New User
No the fuse for the fuel pump is fine. I replaced it just to remove a variable. Another suggestion was that it could be the Fuel Injection Control Module? The "mechanic" that sold me the truck said it's the fuel pump...

Old 03-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Getsome68
Junior User
If it was trying to pull too much current it would. Any way to remove a hose from the pump and see if it spits diesel all over?

I'm very new to diesels but there should be some type of nipple in the fuel rail where you can check the pressure with a gauage.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:12 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
You said that you replaced the fuse and it ran for awhile. Then you replaced it again and it ran for awhile. This isn't a coincidence.

There is a fuel pressure test port on the upper fuel filter bowl. You probably need to check fuel pressure. If you go down to the 6.0L Diesel forum and read the tech folder, there is a procedure for testing the output voltage of the FICM. The FICM bumps the 12V battery power up to 48V for the injectors. Low FICM voltage is a common problem and will cause some of the issues you have described.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 PM
CKitts
New User
Perfect, i'll go take a look at those forums.

I pulled the fuse, and put the exact same fuse back in and it started. 3 hours later I pulled the old fuse, and put in a new one and it started. I should have tested without replacing the fuse...

Old 03-29-2012, 09:26 PM
URDADDY
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure sounds like the FICM to me, do yourself a favor and look around on here for a used one or places that repair them, much cheaper then new. Replaced mine 2 months ago on a 05 F250

Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just for the sake of discussion, have you check to see if there's any stored codes? May not be any, but never hurts to check before you start throwing parts at the truck.
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
There is a fuel pressure test port on the upper fuel filter bowl. You probably need to check fuel pressure.
You'll need a M12x1.5 fitting to thread into the test port of the secondary filter housing. May have to get an adapter since most gauges sold here in the states are 1/8" NPT.
Originally Posted by URDADDY
Sure sounds like the FICM to me, do yourself a favor and look around on here for a used one or places that repair them, much cheaper then new.
FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair He's a site sponsor

Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 AM
CKitts
New User
Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I've ordered some testing equipment in order to check the above suggestions. However today I thought I'd try to start the truck again..

Started.. let it idle for 15 minutes. Drove forward.. back.. forward... started blowing black smoke then stalled. It posted p0275 Cylinder #5 contribution balance. From the posts I'm seeing on this forum it looks like a bad injector.

I keep hearing/reading stories that if you get a good 6.0 it's rock solid, but if you have any issues.. it's better to get rid of it right away.

Thoughts?

Old 03-31-2012, 01:17 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,711 Posts
The fuel pressure gauge is highly recommended.

Usually if you sell something that isn't running well, you take a hit financially. MIght as well fix it IMO.

Could be that you are sucking air into the fuel system (usually a poorly installed primary fuel filter cap will cause this) or an injector is slowly leaking combustion gasses back into the fuel system. There is a video out on the "bubble test" that will show you if that is happening. I will look for the link.

A scangaugeII will help you troubleshoot. Look for the FICM parameters (MPower, VPower, FICM sync, etc)

Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,711 Posts
INJECTOR BUBBLE TEST
6.0lit Powerstroke Fuel System Tests - YouTube
Remove the FICM relay and the fuel pump relay
Remove the upper fuel filter cap and the upper fuel filter
Crank engine and check for bubbles with a level of fuel in the filter bowl
If you see bubbles, remove the fuel inlet line to the passenger head (right side) and test by cranking again.
If the bubbles go away, the issue is an injector (or injectors) on the passenger side, if the bubbles remain, then the issue is on the drivers side
Reconnect the fuel line to the passenger head and proceed with removing glow plugs (one at a time) on the appropriate side to isolate the leak
Compression leak into the fuel can come from: Bad copper sealing washer, bad injector cup, insufficient torque on the injector hold down

Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM
CKitts
New User
Thank you everyone for the input. I've passed along most of this information to the guy that sold me the truck and he's having someone try to correct the problem.

Today he drained the fuel tank and said it is really watery, almost as if I filled the tank with regular gas. I told him no I did not, however I guess I "could" have made a mistake but I vividly recall grabbing the diesel pump. Plus I drove the thing for 290 miles before it gave any indication something was wrong. He's now guessing perhaps bad gas?

I'm tempted to pay a tow truck to bring it to Santa Fe to a Ford dealership and have them plug it into their computer. Perhaps I'd save money in the long run by getting it properly diagnosed...

Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CKitts
Today he drained the fuel tank and said it is really watery, almost as if I filled the tank with regular gas. I told him no I did not, however I guess I "could" have made a mistake but I vividly recall grabbing the diesel pump. Plus I drove the thing for 290 miles before it gave any indication something was wrong. He's now guessing perhaps bad gas?
Unless it smells like gas (the smell would be strong even after it's been mixed with diesel)...it ain't gas. Now it's possible you got some bad fuel if you have been buying it a low volume retailer that has crap in their storage tanks. The WIF (water in fuel) light should have lite up if you had allot of water in there. Figure out if there is something that caused your #5 injector to go south (low fuel pressure, bad o-ring, crappy fuel)...replace the injector and go on with your life. That's how I'd address the problem.
I'm tempted to pay a tow truck to bring it to Santa Fe to a Ford dealership and have them plug it into their computer. Perhaps I'd save money in the long run by getting it properly diagnosed...
You could do that, and in theory the truck should be fixed properly afterwords. But be forewarned they're going to charge you allot more for labor than you could do it yourself with the knowledge here. I'm not saying don't take it to the dealership...I'd take my truck to a dealership before I took it to several of these 3rd party clowns. But if your mechanically inclined, you can fix the truck yourself and save some money.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:29 PM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you everyone for the input. I've passed along most of this information to the guy that sold me the truck and he's having someone try to correct the problem.

Where in New Mexico are you. Your chapter leader has AutoE, and is willing to do scans for beer

Call me at 505-506-592 three.

Quick Reply: 03' F250 Powerstroke 6.0 - Fuel filter?