'08 F350 stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 PM
acstator
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 F350 stereo upgrade

Hopefully somebody out there has some experience with the issue I'm facing and has some suggestions for me.

I just bought a 2008 F350 Lariat Crew Cab pickup and it has the single disc CD player. The system appears to have the standard speakers and no subwoofer. I'd like to upgrade to the Ford 6 disc changer or the Ford Nav system and add some additional power and a subwoofer.

I went into my local Stealership and talked to one of the parts guys. He was virtually no help at all. He took the VIN for my truck and told me he could get me replacement parts for what was originally installed, but nothing else. He said that he wouldn't even look up a part number for the 6 disc changer because he didn't think there would be any plug-ins for it in the wire loom. This makes no sense to me.

I've been looking on places like eBay and I can buy a 6 disc changer and/or Nav that was originally intended to go in this truck but I want to make sure my steering wheel controls will still work.

I'm also curious as to what parts are required to upgrade to the Ford Audiophile sound system. Is there an external amp for the speakers or do they get powered directly from the head unit? I know the stock subwoofer has an amp attached to the back of the enclosure.

I have a lot more questions, but I think this is enough for this post. Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:21 PM
boulderguy
Senior User
Probably the worst thing you can do is stick with OEM equipment for this, the quality is far below most anything aftermarket & it will cost much more.

Many aftermarket decks will have a separate input for steering wheel controls, they're very common. Some require an adapter to interpret the signals & translate but they're cheap (check PAC steering wheel control adapter).

Old 03-04-2012, 08:02 AM
RI-Matt
Senior User
acstator, I did this exact thing on my 06 F150, so it can be done.
I replaced the front speakers with the Audiophile setup which includes tweeters and a crossover mounted to the door speaker.
I also installed a factory NAV unit. It had to be programmed to the trucks options ( model, steering wheel controls, subwoofer, audiophile etc.... )
I installed the factory subwoofer with amp under the rear seat just as it would have come from the factory. The hardest part for that was the wiring harness. Some trucks came with the harness already installed others did not. Mine didn't so I had to fab one up using factory connectors. Yours being a Lariat you may get lucky.
There was no other amp to install, the factory head unit powered the door speakers and the sub had its own. The system sounded great and looked totally factory. Most thieves arent interested in the factory stuff so that was another factor in my decision to do all factory components, plus I prefer the factory look over aftermarket stuff.

Matt

Old 03-28-2012, 04:53 PM
4x4coots
New User
As others have mentioned, the stock speakers are fairly sub-par and if you have a good ear for music, you will want to upgrade both the headunit (for adjustability) and the speakers as well. Keep in mind, the install is also very important and can make or break the overall results.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
I'm in the go aftermarket crowd.

Aside from better quality all around, your money will go farther.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Chrsnl05
Freshman User
I have a Pioneer HU in my 09 and even without upgrading the speakers (which are next on my list) there is a substantial increase sound clarity. plus If i trade the truck in i can pull the HU and install in in the next provided it has a double din opening. This HU has been in 2 trucks already and my last one was in 2 so you get your money's worth unless you want a new stereo for the new truck in which case just leave in it. I can take a pic if you would like to see it. Its a pioneer with a 5.8" (I think) screen. Dvd with rear outputs and nav, sat ready. There are lots of other brands too if your not into pioneer.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 PM
acstator
New User
Changed my mind

Well, I really appreciate all the input. I'm going aftermarket. I was considering staying stock mainly because nobody wants to steal the stock stuff and I was hoping to just add a little to what's already there and save some money. In researching what's available, I'll get more versatility out of an aftermarket setup and much better sound quality. I can also build and install it the way I want it with all the bells and whistles I'll use. The neighborhood I live in is very safe and if someone decides to rip me off, it's going to happen no matter what I have in there. That's what insurance is for.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:29 AM
boulderguy
Senior User
Good call.

Even if someone breaks in, 99% of car stereo theft is just the head unit. With a NAV unit that can be expensive obviously. But the speakers & amp are all tucked away & much harder to steal. So your only real exposure is the headunit.