6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Dealer Only Computer Mods, What Have You Guys Had Done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 AM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer Only Computer Mods, What Have You Guys Had Done?

I'm planning to book my truck in ASAP to get my dealer to reprogram a couple things that have come up here. I want them to set the TPMS to 50psi (or whatever the minimum is) on all four tires and elminate having the headlights come on when the doors are opened.

What else have you guys had done or would you reccommend?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Brandon Bloomquist
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can also add DRL for the Americans. I recommend it for the folks who live in a consistently grey environment. The Autolamp feature can't quite figure out overcast.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM
my996duc1
Elder User
Originally Posted by Brandon Bloomquist
You can also add DRL for the Americans. I recommend it for the folks who live in a consistently grey environment. The Autolamp feature can't quite figure out overcast.
Is there a way to kill the DRL once the dealer activates them ??

Such as, on my wife's trailblazer... the DRL come on when the vehicle starts but you can turn the switch to "parking lights" then to "off" and the DRL will stay off until you restart the vehicle again.

_

Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Brandon Bloomquist
Senior User
Originally Posted by my996duc1
Is there a way to kill the DRL once the dealer activates them ??

Such as, on my wife's trailblazer... the DRL come on when the vehicle starts but you can turn the switch to "parking lights" then to "off" and the DRL will stay off until you restart the vehicle again.

_
I don't know for sure (I like them on, period), but I guess I would call the behavior more like Toyota's than GM's. They are on in the off position, lamps on and autolamps. I just don't know for sure about the parking lights position.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:22 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Hey B&L, if you find a dealer in cowtown that will lower the tpms to 50 PSI for the rear can you PM me the dealer? People ask me all the time where to go and I don't know. In 2010 I tried a few in Cal and could not find one that would do it. But that was a while ago!

Thanks

Old 03-29-2012, 12:37 PM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Originally Posted by darren32
Hey B&L, if you find a dealer in cowtown that will lower the tpms to 50 PSI for the rear can you PM me the dealer? People ask me all the time where to go and I don't know. In 2010 I tried a few in Cal and could not find one that would do it. But that was a while ago!

Thanks
Will do.

As for the DRLs, I'm in Canada, so they're on from the factory.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:11 PM
xrated
Senior User
I had my TPMS set down to 55psi right after I bought the truck in Oct. 2010. The dealer really didn't want to do it, but I explained to the Service Manager that I was 56 years old and I'm sure, that after having driven for 40 years, I could take care of my tire pressure all by myself. They charged me $35 to do the work and I got a free pep talk. Well, they tried to give me a pep talk but pretty much I declined their offer.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
why does anyone wanna lower the tpms setting? also, does the alarm only go off if the pressure is too low, or does it have a max limit too that will set it off

Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,972 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
why does anyone wanna lower the tpms setting? also, does the alarm only go off if the pressure is too low, or does it have a max limit too that will set it off
The want it lower because for everyday driving the ride is nicer with 55 psf in the shoes. Sure towing, you crank it up the pressure, but not for running around town. I have no idea if it warns you if the pressure exceeds a value. I doubt it...

Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
FishingNut
Elder User
Tux,
The monitoring system will only tell you that there is a tire below the minimum pressure...it's up to you to figure out which one

Savage,
You are correct as those of us that drive around town more than we tow like to ease off on the pressures (especially the rear) as it does ride better unloaded, as you said.

And those are the two reasons I had it done but I went for 60psi (still need to test it ) as the fronts are 65 and rear are 80, so it gives me a few pounds for temp changes. I believe the main reason for some on the 55psi is due to the larger aftermarket tires.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:14 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by FishingNut
I believe the main reason for some on the 55psi is due to the larger aftermarket tires.
Yes sir, the stock 275/65R20's have a load rating of 3,750 lb at 80 PSI.
My 325/60R20's have the exact same load rating of 3,750 lb but at 65 PSI, which IMHO is a lot more reasonable!

I normally run them at 55 PSI so I set my tpms to 50 PSI.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone care that softer tires mean worse mpgs?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,972 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Define care. I realize it, but I spend a lot of time pulling my enclosed trailer in and out of off-road areas and need the traction. I know that I'm loosing economy in fuel as well as wear. So I care, but not as much as I do about actually getting my rig in and out of staging areas to ride the atv's. There are trade offs with everything. I try to compensate by driving with a light foot as much as possible. I don't feel like I'm wasting fuel then.

I'm also OCD when it come to towing and knowing my tire pressure. Most people that tow frequently do as well. Lower pressures lead to heat. Heat leads to blow outs. Blow outs lead to me swearing a lot.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Does anyone care that softer tires mean worse mpgs?
Not me, I don't pay for fuel

Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 AM
FishingNut
Elder User

Originally Posted by darren32
Not me, I don't pay for fuel
OK...I'll bite.

How do I join that club?

If it means moving out of the country, I can do that too.
Did that in '89, went to the UK for 11 years

Quick Reply: Dealer Only Computer Mods, What Have You Guys Had Done?