Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Accel COP's

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Fuha
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Accel COP's

First off let me say I see and read that EVERYONE says MOTORCRAFT MOTORCRAFT MOTORCRAFT...

but i am going to be that pain in the butt and ask about Accel

I am planning on doing a couple each week until I get all 10 done.. Motorcraft is what I have now. Just wonding about the Accel COPS

Motorcraft is $66.99
Accel is $ 36.99

So for the price of 1 motorcraft i can almost get 2 accel.

Thoughts please.. be harsh as you wish wont upset me a bit

Old 03-23-2012, 02:53 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Fuha
Cargo Master

thanks Trdltly... I saw those post but the first one with the MOST information is over 2.5 years old. The other doesnt really have anything as most people are talking about cheap ebay cops.

Price dont really bother me I was really looking hard at some Borg Warner cops as they carry a lifetime warranty.

Just thought about the accel as I have had good luck with there product in the past just never used COP's until now.. and didnt know if they have changed there design over the time to improve there product

Old 03-23-2012, 03:15 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
There was a recent post that gave a link to the company that makes the COP's for Accel. Can't remember what thread I was in.

$44 MC COP's - (DG-508)Motorcraft DG508 Gasoline Ignition Coil-DG508. - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

Old 03-23-2012, 03:54 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I picked up OEM COPs from our sponsor Rock Auto for maybe $10 more each.

That's an extra $100 for all 10.

If those cheaper ones fail on you when you're least expected, would it cost you less than the $100 to get you out of where you are? Consider towing, lost time, hotel, etc. and the cost of a replacement COP(s). Is it worth the hassle? It's like buying insurance.

If you're still set on the cheap ones, I would keep a few of the old ones on hand as a back up, just in case.

My luck would be my wife would be driving it and wouldn't know how to replace it even though all the parts and tools are available at her finger tips. The "not hear the nagging" alone is worth the $100.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Fastbird
Junior User
Save yourself time,money and headache and get Motorcraft coils.I bought 10 Accel coils,2 went bad after 50 miles,1 after 200 miles,1 after 600 miles and so on.
Watch e Bay,I bought 8 OEM coils for $ 140,new in the box.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:41 AM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have customers bring me Accel all the time. They're back shortly wanted Motorcrafts installed. Then they are pissed when I charge them again.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,051 Posts
I installed 10 Accel COPs in my van. Two lasted 100 miles. I replaced them. When another went bad 50 miles later I replaced all of them with Standard brand coils. They were still working 50,000 miles later when I sold it.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:41 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I installed Granatelli COP's in my 5.4 V8 but since its essentially the same engine I have to agree generally aftermarket COP's seem to be more problem prone than the MotorCraft branded versions.

One failed within a few months and was replaced under a one year warranty--things happen, not that big a concern. About one year later several begin sending CEL codes for misfiring which seems to be random and cold weather related. Fortunately when the misfire happens shutting down and restarting is the cure---until the next cold snap.

When I'm more motivated I'll change out the remaining Granatelli's for my original MC COP's, check plug torque and inspect/replace the boots as needed. I've learned my lesson and won't recommend or use anything but MotorCraft again for such parts.

Just my $0.02 worth mind you!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:28 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by JWA
I installed Granatelli COP's in my 5.4 V8 but since its essentially the same engine I have to agree generally aftermarket COP's seem to be more problem prone than the MotorCraft branded versions.

One failed within a few months and was replaced under a one year warranty--things happen, not that big a concern. About one year later several begin sending CEL codes for misfiring which seems to be random and cold weather related. Fortunately when the misfire happens shutting down and restarting is the cure---until the next cold snap.

When I'm more motivated I'll change out the remaining Granatelli's for my original MC COP's, check plug torque and inspect/replace the boots as needed. I've learned my lesson and won't recommend or use anything but MotorCraft again for such parts.

Just my $0.02 worth mind you!
That is some good advice. I think everyone that has gone out on a limb to try the aftermarket ones seem to go back to MC. I tried the no name ones. I am going to buy a couple of MC ones at a time as to not throw off the budget. Take advantage of some free shipping to keep the cost of replacement down.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Fuha
Cargo Master

yeah.. I was going to go against the grain and do the accel's, However it wasn't my orginal plan. So when I called and ordered my parts I ordered the MC ones. When I went in to get them I asked for Accel and they didnt have them in stock so I ended up with the MC cops. After reading TRDLTLY thread on taking care of his I wanted to make sure I didnt have any OTHER issues before dropping a ton of cash on something that was going to need something else.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:19 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by Fuha
yeah.. I was going to go against the grain and do the accel's, However it wasn't my orginal plan. So when I called and ordered my parts I ordered the MC ones. When I went in to get them I asked for Accel and they didnt have them in stock so I ended up with the MC cops. After reading TRDLTLY thread on taking care of his I wanted to make sure I didnt have any OTHER issues before dropping a ton of cash on something that was going to need something else.
Thomas, Glad you could feel my pain and glad to help others. It was a lesson learned.

Scott (aka TrdLtly)

Old 03-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Fuha
Cargo Master

yeah after reading all that I Wont say i was a bit worried.. cause I had 2 and 4 missing and i could just see the things lining out

Old 03-26-2012, 05:43 PM
mrad
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fastbird
Save yourself time,money and headache and get Motorcraft coils.I bought 10 Accel coils,2 went bad after 50 miles,1 after 200 miles,1 after 600 miles and so on.
Watch e Bay,I bought 8 OEM coils for $ 140,new in the box.
After browsing Ebay, I found numerous DG 508 coil packs for under $200 for a set of 8-10. Some of these included spark plugs. If the add says OEM motorcraft DG 508, are they original motorcraft cops? This seems like quite a savings when some are paying $46 to $70 apiece?

Example:

OEM Motorcraft DG508 FORD LINCOLN MERCURY IGNITION COIL #IC91 SET OF 10pcs NEW | eBay

This link has 10 cops $262. Is this what everyone is recommending?

This sale is for 8 cops but at half the price, however I do not see any Motorcraft packaging

OEM Replacement Ignition Coils Ford, Lincoln, Mercury | eBay

Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by mrad
After browsing Ebay, I found numerous DG 508 coil packs for under $200 for a set of 8-10. Some of these included spark plugs. If the add says OEM motorcraft DG 508, are they original motorcraft cops? This seems like quite a savings when some are paying $46 to $70 apiece?

Example:

OEM Motorcraft DG508 FORD LINCOLN MERCURY IGNITION COIL #IC91 SET OF 10pcs NEW | eBay

This link has 10 cops $262. Is this what everyone is recommending?

This sale is for 8 cops but at half the price, however I do not see any Motorcraft packaging

OEM Replacement Ignition Coils Ford, Lincoln, Mercury | eBay
Great finds MRad. Those are both really good prices for MC COP's. These are the one's to get and at a really good price.

Just have to watch out for a new thing that is being listed on eBay. They post an unlabeled OEM COP. They claim to be for fleet vehicles. The part numbers are supposedly scratched off. These don't appear to be those though.

Quick Reply: Accel COP's