Am I sitting on a gold mine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 AM
The Confederate
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I sitting on a gold mine?

Well, long story short, I have the stock 302 from my 74 f100, and was GIVEN a 302 H.O. w/roller cam and lifters from a 93 Mustang GT about a year ago. Now, I'm being GIVEN a carbureted 351W SVO with Ford aluminum heads (with roller rockers) that have been ported for high performance, hi-po cam and lifter set (card was lost though!!), high-rise single plane 4bbl intake, full-length headers, (possibly some turbo headers too!) and a ton of other Windsor goodies. All 3 are complete. I know alot of 302 and 351 parts interchange, so what would be the best conglomeration of these engines to make a dependable, more fuel efficient (yeah I know, ) and powerful engine for Stonewall (the F100)? Also, I'm a little more focused on the low end, considering it is a truck afer all...

Old 03-25-2012, 07:55 AM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i guess that would depend on your definition of gold mine. A 351 is a much better truck engine than a 302. The FRPP SVO blocks are better than run-of-the-mill blocks if you're building a hot rod - beefier, 4 bolt mains, and smaller crank journals. Probably overkill for a truck engine but if it's free, why not. What are the casting numbers?

For a truck you'd want a dual plane manifold. That block should be roller ready, if it doesn't already have a roller cam you could use the lifters and dog bones from the 302. Hi-po cam is pretty ambiguous, but if it has a single plane intake I'd wager it's more radical than you'd want in a truck. It might be set up with more compression than you'd want with a smaller cam in a big, heavy truck too.

So, depending on whether the static cr is over ~9.5:1 for ~$600 you could build that 351 into a pretty nice truck engine.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:59 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Ditto, I doubt that 351 is streetable, definately not suitable for a truck. I'd sell it and build you a nice lower compression ratio roller 351W with GT40 heads and a dual plane intake. The 74 motor ? It's a turd. The block is about the only part worthwhile (it's heavier than the roller 302 block) but there are thousands on the market just like it, making it pretty much worthless for resale value. The roller 302 can be built to do what you want, just that a roller 351 will out perform it in a truck. The fuel mileage will be negligible between the two, maybe 1-2 mpg difference at best.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
You could potentially get some decent money out of the SVO shortblock.. if there's a market for it in your area, and if that was the case I'd put that money into a 347 rotating assembly for the '93 5.0 and top it off with those Ford Racing heads. If however the SVO simply won't sell you can make use of it with the HO roller cam but like the others said you're gonna have to take the heads off to check the compression ratio(measure head chamber and piston dish/dome volume), and if that's too high for pump gas swap in some more appropriate pistons. Bottom line though is I think you're gonna be happier with the power that 347 - 351 cubic inches produces.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:33 PM
RFAgrasshopper
Junior User
Using the Best parts from these engines you could build a nice 351W engine. Use the 351SVO block,crank and rods. Get a set of good lower compression pistons and have everything balanced. Use the Cam&lifters and heads for the GT engine as the GT cam is a good roller cam and the heads are very good for building torque and HP on the street. Get a Edelbrock Performer for the 351 and to keep mileage were you want it use a 600 Holley Vac. sec. carb. Then using the Vac. Sec spring kit go to the stiff black spring. This will allow the carb to run on only two barrels till you put your foot in it. You can for better mileage also run the 2 stage power valve.
I built a 302 with a 600Holley for my 1969 Ford E300 and with the 2stage power valve and the Vac. Sec black spring I was able to get 18MPG with a C-4 trans. If you run an AOD or a T-5 you should be able to get an easy 20+ mile per gal!!! That's if you can keep your foot out of it. One last thing,use a vac gauge and use it to shift keeping it the green. This will help big time mileage wise.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 PM
RFAgrasshopper
Junior User
If you want max mile go with a 351W Fuel Injection intake and use the SVO/Ford Racing wiring harness to install it into your '74

Old 03-25-2012, 07:11 PM
The Confederate
Tuned
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm kinda leaning towards what RFAgrasshopper said. I thought (if all the parts will mix like I want) of using the 74 block, the HO pistons (because 1993 is the year Ford used hyper-eutectic pistons in the Mustang), the roller cam from the SVO if its not stupid aggressive (I'll have to mic and see), the SVO heads, the long tube headers, and I think there's a Torker II intake with the other goodies. Also, if clearances will allow, I would like to use the 351W crank and whichever rods for a little longer stroke. And whatever I end up creating will be in front of the awesome Ford FMX transmission with Dana 44 rear (unknown ratio right now). That sound like a good route? I know how to blueprint an engine, but without everything torn down in front of me, it's kinda hard to know what can fit where without epic failure! So, if any of y'all happen to know the parts well, does that sound like a deadly combination or an actual deadly combination?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am here to follow this. Lots of knowledge and good info on the 351W. And that I am in need of. Look for a thread soon on my 85 Bronco guys. I am looking forward to your help.

I'm not trying to hi-jack yer thread Bud. Please continue.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:17 PM
The Confederate
Tuned
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I am here to follow this. Lots of knowledge and good info on the 351W. And that I am in need of. Look for a thread soon on my 85 Bronco guys. I am looking forward to your help.

I'm not trying to hi-jack yer thread Bud. Please continue.
You're perfectly fine, sir! I may get around to Frankenstein-ing these things together within the next month. I'll post any info and results I find for myself here for you and anyone else to see. Hopefully I can make something neat! A 1974 302 HO SVO?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by The Confederate
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm kinda leaning towards what RFAgrasshopper said. I thought (if all the parts will mix like I want) of using the 74 block, the HO pistons (because 1993 is the year Ford used hyper-eutectic pistons in the Mustang), the roller cam from the SVO if its not stupid aggressive (I'll have to mic and see), the SVO heads, the long tube headers, and I think there's a Torker II intake with the other goodies. Also, if clearances will allow, I would like to use the 351W crank and whichever rods for a little longer stroke. And whatever I end up creating will be in front of the awesome Ford FMX transmission with Dana 44 rear (unknown ratio right now). That sound like a good route? I know how to blueprint an engine, but without everything torn down in front of me, it's kinda hard to know what can fit where without epic failure! So, if any of y'all happen to know the parts well, does that sound like a deadly combination or an actual deadly combination?
Keep the 93 short block together. The roller cam and lifters (together) will not work in the 74 block. The cam will (with linkbar hyd roller lifters) or the stock lifters will (with a reduced base circle cam) but not both together. Chances are the 74 block will need a rebore too, so the 93's pistons won't fit. And forget using the 351 crank in a 302 block. It just doesn't fit. The main journals are 1/4" larger in diameter that the 302's mains. The heads on the SVO motor may or may not be suitable for a smaller displacement engine (likely be too big)

Old 03-25-2012, 10:09 PM
RFAgrasshopper
Junior User
Yes I'd not mix the GT parts with the '74 engine. Also the 351 crank is too much to fit into a 302 block without a lot of work(to it and the block). The 351 with the GT cam&lifters and heads would be a good torque engine. The Torker II is not a real good street manifold, it better for a bracket racer setup.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:30 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't turn your goldmine into a minefield. Just check the compression on the 351, if it's okay get a roller cam from Comp, Isky, whoever with ~210-220 degrees duration at .050" and swap the single plane manifold for a Performer RPM or Stealth. If the compression is too tight swap out the pistons for something street friendly.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:08 PM
The Confederate
Tuned
Thanks y'all! I actually took a bunch on stuff to NADC with me today and measured, the 302 has a 3" stroke where the 351 had a 3.5" stroke, and as baddad457 said, the main and throw journals are about a 1/4" bigger than 302. I will be dreaming about micrometers and dial bore gauges tonight!! Also, I think baddad457 was watching me or something, because the 74 block has a heck of a ridge and is very worn out. The skirt-to-cylinder clearance was almost .050". To quote Stewie Griffin, they were like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. lol. So with that, my first idea is toast.
So the new route I'm taking, is using the SVO heads on the 302 HO block. I cc'd them and they measured 64cc. And the 302 HO's pistons are dang-near flat-topped. The dish is a little more shallow than a dime is thick. So I think the heads will work fine and keep a good compression ratio. I will need to check valve clearances, but that's easy enough to do when the time comes. Now, if the wife lets me have a few dollars for new bearings gaskets, and seals, (y'all that are married know how that goes) I can get started on this thing!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:37 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Your comp ratio with those heads on a stock 302 HO short block is going to be right around 9 to 1.(same as it's got with the E7TE heads) I'd have em milled .030 to pick it up a half point.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 PM
The Confederate
Tuned
Originally Posted by baddad457
Your comp ratio with those heads on a stock 302 HO short block is going to be right around 9 to 1.(same as it's got with the E7TE heads) I'd have em milled .030 to pick it up a half point.
I'll keep that in mind, but the SVO heads are not completely bone stock. They have been professionally ported and polished. I flow tested them today and they moved some serious air (like 220 CFMs at only .400"). I think the added port volume, velocity, and 351W SVO valves (larger than stock 302) will actually put me around 10:1. Plus I want a little wiggle room, after all, NADC may toss some of their smaller turbos. Lol

Quick Reply: Am I sitting on a gold mine?