Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Monitoring using Bluetooth OBDII Port Scanner - Not Scangauge or Ultragauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
try re-pairing. You also need to select the adapter inside the torque app.
I have, but I think the adapter is toast. It has a row of 5 lights that used to flash in some sequence when I plugged it in. Now just the red one on the end lights up and stays steady. I might crack it open just for curiosity sake, but I wouldn't know how to troubleshoot it.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPatMan

I'm going to have to disagree with that statement...
Even in 100* weather, the trans temp with - with no load on it, just cruising - should not exceed 180* (Cruising at 45mph - i'm nominal between 160 to 170* roughly)
Towing up to 6000lbs flat grade - I've never seen 200*
It's not until I start going up hill that I start breaking over 200* and I try not to push it over 210*
Once you're hitting 220* and higher - you're starting to burn up stuff.

I'm still running the factory trans cooler for the 7.3's-4R100, and stock pan.
Next year - i'm going to get the bigger/deeper pan and the 6.0's trans cooler.
I should never see 200*+ after that (well, that's the plan anyways...)
There's a thread/video out there that explains this and that are the proper temps.
But once you're over 220* - you've lost your cooling efficiency and you need to start being vary careful.
/
I mistakenly thought he was talking coolant temps
Trans temps are lower I've seen under higher temps at 115 outside. Solo it never goes higher than 180

Now if you add that 6.0 cooler you might want to think about adding the derale thermostat. Otherwise the temps will stay too low which is also damaging in the long run.

Choice of trans fluid will also make a difference in longevity as well as flush frequency.
I use mobil synthetic fluid and did the full flush recently as described by Mark K.
Shifts like new.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:59 PM
AzPatMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No worries - I think the Trans Temp ranges I was referring to was actually from one of Mark's Posts.
But yea - I'm doing my upgrades slowly, It'll be a while before i'm at that point.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 PM
ycis
Senior User
Originally Posted by AndrewWV
I have, but I think the adapter is toast. It has a row of 5 lights that used to flash in some sequence when I plugged it in. Now just the red one on the end lights up and stays steady. I might crack it open just for curiosity sake, but I wouldn't know how to troubleshoot it.
not sure if you got this working or not, but mine does the exact same thing until it syncs up with the phone...it wont start blinking and doing its thing until they are talking. if I turn off the torque app it will go back to the solid red light on the adapter.

I finally got this all setup last night and downloaded the extended FORD PID's from the advanced settings.

reads oil temp, coolant temp (which I was thrilled to discover stay within a single degree of each other while the truck is moving..oil gets a tad hotter when stopped, but only by a few degrees).

both when up to running temp hovered at 180-186.

trans temp never got above 150

boost seems to be working better after I changed the VE to 95% from 85% (someone suggested that in another thread)

MPG also reads "believable" at regular speeds when you are cruising, but reads some ridiculous numbers when you are coasting to a stop even on flat ground. Now ive gone down a hill in cars and put it in neutral and seen the mpg readings go up to crazy levels, but the torque app will read 90s-100s when just letting off the pedal going 40mph or so.

yet getting back on the gas puts the mpg in the 10-20 range when driving in the city....who knows.

next goal is to find a cheap little tablet and hardwire it into the dash somewhere so i dont have to stare at my phone in my lap while I drive.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by ycis
not sure if you got this working or not, but mine does the exact same thing until it syncs up with the phone...it wont start blinking and doing its thing until they are talking. if I turn off the torque app it will go back to the solid red light on the adapter.

I finally got this all setup last night and downloaded the extended FORD PID's from the advanced settings.

reads oil temp, coolant temp (which I was thrilled to discover stay within a single degree of each other while the truck is moving..oil gets a tad hotter when stopped, but only by a few degrees).

boost seems to be working better after I changed the VE to 95% from 85% (someone suggested that in another thread)

MPG also reads "believable" at regular speeds when you are cruising, but reads some ridiculous numbers when you are coasting to a stop even on flat ground. Now ive gone down a hill in cars and put it in neutral and seen the mpg readings go up to crazy levels, but the torque app will read 90s-100s when just letting off the pedal going 40mph or so.

yet getting back on the gas puts the mpg in the 10-20 range when driving in the city....who knows.

next goal is to find a cheap little tablet and hardwire it into the dash somewhere so i dont have to stare at my phone in my lap while I drive.
I guess I wasn't persistent enough the first time. I did FINALLY get it to work again. The phone kept saying they were paired, but the adapter icon in Torque wouldn't quit blinking.

I still wish I could get EOT for my 6.8L out of this thing. I was smelling some really hot motor oil on the way home tonight. Everything I can see looks OK, so I don't know what is leaking or why.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:51 PM
ycis
Senior User
did you try downloading the ford PID pack from the advanced settings in the torque app?

this was the only way I got EOT to display on mine...it would not worth otherwise.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:54 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Yes, I did. The EOT shows up for the diesels, but seems not to be available for the gassers. :-(

Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
That's because there's no sensor for EOT on a gas engine.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is VE ?
The mpg readings going up very high when coasting is normal. Some vehicles shut off the injectors completely, others inject minimal fuel.
The excursion has a lot of mass and will roll for quite a while so i think it would be correct.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 AM
ycis
Senior User
ve Im assuming is volumetric efficiency...its one of the settings to configure for the vehicle profile within TORQUE.

and yes I get that coasting makes MPG improve substantially, but I even see it jump up to over 100mpg when towing the boat and coasting to a stop.

who knows...might be super accurate...ill find out when this tank runs dry and I refill to do a hand calculation of overall MPG compared to the settings in torque.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:12 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User

I just don't believe the MPG using any of the settings I've tried. I haven't really tested it in the Excursion much, but I tested it in my Saturn for a while. I ran Torque every time I was in the car for a few weeks and had it displaying the trip, average, and instantaneous MPG and THOUGHT I was getting really great mileage by adjusting my driving. Each time I filled up the calculated mileage would be much different (lower) than what Torque was showing. There is an option in the settings for enhanced MPG calculation. If I recall, when I turned that option on it was just as far off the opposite direction as it was with it off. There is a setting in the vehicle profile that you can use to adjust the MPG numbers if you know they are off. I haven't played with that setting any.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:41 AM
ycis
Senior User
I doubt its terribly far off on level ground at a regular speed.

It would read between 8.8 and 12.1mpg at 65mph on a super flat highway this weekend when towing...thats at least believable.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:41 AM
AndrewWV
Senior User
I doubt its terribly far off on level ground at a regular speed.
Level ground! THAT's my problem!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:28 PM
ycis
Senior User
:lol

I live in florida...biggest elevation we get are overpasses!

Old 09-04-2013, 01:16 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Haha! Driving TO work is nearly free, but driving home is expensive!

Quick Reply: Engine Monitoring using Bluetooth OBDII Port Scanner - Not Scangauge or Ultragauge