Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Monitoring using Bluetooth OBDII Port Scanner - Not Scangauge or Ultragauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:58 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPatMan
William - Which app did you use with the Xoom?
Torque?
Yes. Torque..

Old 03-29-2012, 05:49 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the OBD2 port transmitter - working good so far with the free Torque app. Going to upgrade to the full version tonight and play some more tomorrow. I was a little disappointed the transmission temp isn't one of the options - maybe it will be in the full version. Things are updating pretty quickly - slight lag but not enough to be an issue. I'll try and get some pics of the layout once I upgrade. I'm using my Lenovo Ideapad - 10" display - but going to try my phone as well with just a couple of gauges on it. Love new toys!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:50 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by TrdLtly
I love this idea, but a little narrower.

I like that - I was just looking at an 08 King Ranch F250 and it had one installed. Looked pretty good but didn't match as close as those pictures. Any ideas on where to get that or was it custom?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:56 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by tdappleman
I like that - I was just looking at an 08 King Ranch F250 and it had one installed. Looked pretty good but didn't match as close as those pictures. Any ideas on where to get that or was it custom?
Very custom. I did see an ad on Craigslist over in CA for a guy that makes them. Starting at $500.

As for the Torque App, make sure that you check out Torque OBD2 Wiki There are predefined sensors and plugins that can be added.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:26 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Here's an update after a couple of days of tinkering with this app.

I got just about everything working that I wanted to see on my 6.0l diesel. In the upper left hand corner is intake pressure, which I need to figure out how to subtract atmospheric pressure. Otherwise, the update resolution, and accuracy look great.

For work I drive an 03 F450 w/ V-10. I plugged into that, after setting up an appropriate vehicle profile, with a different display of gauges. The vehicle connected right up and started reading with no problem. For that truck I look at ECT, instantanious MPG, average MPG, throttle position, avg trip speed, load, and timing advance. It will read many more, but those are the ones I was most curious about.

This morning, on the way in to work, I set the phone on the dash and tried the HUD mode. My phone has a +4" display and it looked pretty good in the dark. I can only imagine my tablet reflecting up on the windshield.

If you've got an Android based phone, it's well worth the $5 for the app, and $30 for the adapter.

Once I have a solid day off I'll try some of the performance logging/recording features.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
That is an incredible display. I love it. Way more information then anyone ever needs.... it is perfect. LOL

I am sold. Have to get one now. Thanks for the screen shot.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:41 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by TrdLtly
That is an incredible display. I love it. Way more information then anyone ever needs.... it is perfect. LOL

I am sold. Have to get one now. Thanks for the screen shot.
That's not enough data for a 6.0l guy like me. FWIW, you can set up additional screens with even more stuff, that you access by swiping left or right.

As far as aesthetics, that's just a simple theme that I picked, and am using my tablet for these examples. With my phone I stick to only digital readouts with that many gauges. The V10 profile I set up has fewer gauges displayed so I've been able to use needles, and graphing displays. There are several different ways you can display data. It can also log gauge data and play it back over Google Maps so you can see how environmental influences affect performance. It's pretty damn cool.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:28 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
I'm not getting trans temp - it gives you two methods and neither work for me. Oil temp isn't working either on the full app. You do anything special to get those to work?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
I'm not getting trans temp - it gives you two methods and neither work for me. Oil temp isn't working either on the full app. You do anything special to get those to work?
Did you check the wiki link that I posted? You may be able to figure it out by reading through that... at least until he answers.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

The screenshots I posted are for my diesel. I checked trans temp quickly this afternoon on the V10, and it came right up.I didn't have to do anything special to get it to read. I'll check oil temp when I get a chance.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:07 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Finally got some time to play some more and got it to work today. Trans temp works and I need to play with the PIDS some more on the oil temp - if it works it seems way too high. Spiked to 397* which I know isn't right - may need to tweak it some since it may be looking for 6.0 data. Heading to Florida tomorrow so I'll let my daughter drive while I play some more.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
I have the one with the USB cable from OBDCOM Diagnostic Systems for ALL vehicles
It looks like a quality product, but I haven't played with it yet. I'll be messing with it soon. the Excursion is almost done.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:52 PM
AzPatMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
William - where did you find the HPOP and IPR settings? I've been digging through the menus - can't find those anywhere.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:41 PM
scottf4444
Elder User
William...that is awesome. Nice job.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:20 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
eBay has the NEW VERSION! Bluetooth Wireless Car V1.5 ELM327 OBD2 Diagnostic CAN-BUS Scanner's for real cheap with free shipping. Originally I was planning on the $16 Amazon one's but might try a couple of these.

bluetooth obd2 | eBay

Quick Reply: Engine Monitoring using Bluetooth OBDII Port Scanner - Not Scangauge or Ultragauge