Go Big or Go Home? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go Big or Go Home?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:07 AM
jmcquarry
Senior User
jmcquarry is starting off with a positive reputation.
Go Big or Go Home?

Three months ago I installed a 2.5" Daystar Leveling Kit (2.5" rubber spacer on front springs) and was very happy with the height. However, the suspension never felt right, after 4 attempts the front end was never able to be aligned correctly, continually pulled to the right and felt sloppy. I even took it to Ford for an alignment (fifth time) and they advised the leveling kit caused a misalignment and could not be zeroed in. I then contacted DayStar, they advised this was not possible and it should not be a problem. I then contacted a very helpful tech at Carli Suspension. They advised they do not offer a 2.5" Leveling kit for just this reason. They advised an adjustable track bar will help, but there are several other issues including the radius arm, sway bar stress, etc and it may be best to remove the leveling kit. They advised the suspension was re-designed in 2011 and is more complex and is not suitable for a Leveling kit and basically advised to go big or go stock. Not sure I want to put out an additional 8-9k for a 4" lift when I only want 2-2.5" lift in front. So,,,,,,,I will most likely remove the leveling kit, fortunately the Bilsteins I installed will also work with the stock configuration,,,,,Someone on FTE suggested the snow plow prep springs, as it raises the front, however back to the other suspension misalignment issues with the extra height, Ford advised they are not sure what it would take to do it factory, but they would contact corporate and get a figure for me,,,,I assume the retro fit would not be cost effective,,,,,so either go big (4" lift from Icon or Cali-2.5 Pin Top) or go home-----any thoughts?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Junior User
7.399 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Love my carli 2.0 4.5" lift. Rides and handles way better than stock. I'm in flower mound tx, I see you are in Dallas. Call Jared Pugh at rock n roll off road in north Richland hills. You can go cheaper but carli and icon are top notch.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:43 AM
jmcquarry
Senior User
I am in Plano, a little bit of a drive, but Carli actually referred me to them,,,,I think that will be the best option in the long run,,,anticipate 8-9k for parts, install, tires and wheels,is that about right? Tried to call them this week,,,think they are closed till next week due to an off road race,,,,,

Old 03-24-2012, 12:56 AM
FONRDAY
Elder User
FONRDAY is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am going with the king oem coil over shocks up for and there rear shock kit lifts the truck 3 inches and levels it out its about 3500 installed rides like a lincoln towncar with 14000# 5th wheel

Old 03-24-2012, 01:05 AM
FONRDAY
Elder User

Bad Boys had them on my last truck

Old 03-24-2012, 01:14 AM
jmcquarry
Senior User
Originally Posted by FONRDAY View Post
I am going with the king oem coil over shocks up for and there rear shock kit lifts the truck 3 inches and levels it out its about 3500 installed rides like a lincoln towncar with 14000# 5th wheel
Very nice,,,but how did it affect the suspension alignment issues? Did you install drop down brackets, extended sway bar links etc?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 AM
darren32
Post Fiend
darren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputation
I have the Carli pintop king 2.5 and you definately can't go wrong. It is AWESOME. I would highly recommend it. It's a completely different truck.

But I know Epic and a bunch of others have level kits that seem to work fine.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...and-after.html

Old 03-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Hdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputationHdslider has a superb reputation
When you raise them with shall we say the cheap kits. Everything is outta wack. Most do need the track bar as as you go up the frt diff goes to the left. Then when you bit a bump the frt diff just goes left to right. The biggest thing that gets screwed up is your caster goes way neg so that makes it feel like it wants to keep going in circles as well as you killed the stability of the truck. A good frt end shop can correct caster. But as mentioned here carli there is a video of a truck with it. Sweet

Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
EpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant future
You do have to be careful with the leveling kits. I got mine from AutoSpringCorp and they said no alignment is necessary after installing the spacer. I beg to differ though. My steering was extremely light and wandered badly on the highway. After a couple of attempts, I learned the same things as what has been described above. The caster angle was lost but was easily fixed by a competent alignment shop. But even that is a crap shoot. You can take your truck to several alignment shops but until you find one that knows what they are doing, they will do more harm than good. I got lucky and am completely happy with the level and the front end. My axle is shifted to the driver side a half an inch and is "just" noticeable if you look carefully. The alignment corrected for this.

Bottom line is the front end geometry is complex and a highly tuned piece of engineering. When you mess with any component, it will have domino effects on others. Carli understands this and effectively re-engineers a lifted suspension and corrects all the dominos. If you go it piecemeal like I did, you'll have to correct the alignment and other things. I also had a bit of steering wobble which I corrected with additional stabilizers. Can't say for sure if that was related to the leveling spacers or larger tires or what. Everything is working fine now but it was a bit or work to get it there.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 PM
jmcquarry
Senior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick View Post
You do have to be careful with the leveling kits. I got mine from AutoSpringCorp and they said no alignment is necessary after installing the spacer. I beg to differ though. My steering was extremely light and wandered badly on the highway. After a couple of attempts, I learned the same things as what has been described above. The caster angle was lost but was easily fixed by a competent alignment shop. But even that is a crap shoot. You can take your truck to several alignment shops but until you find one that knows what they are doing, they will do more harm than good. I got lucky and am completely happy with the level and the front end. My axle is shifted to the driver side a half an inch and is "just" noticeable if you look carefully. The alignment corrected for this.

Bottom line is the front end geometry is complex and a highly tuned piece of engineering. When you mess with any component, it will have domino effects on others. Carli understands this and effectively re-engineers a lifted suspension and corrects all the dominos. If you go it piecemeal like I did, you'll have to correct the alignment and other things. I also had a bit of steering wobble which I corrected with additional stabilizers. Can't say for sure if that was related to the leveling spacers or larger tires or what. Everything is working fine now but it was a bit or work to get it there.
Epic, I think you nailed it! All the the issues may be minor, but it drives me crazy. Gunna lose the 2.5" DayStar kit and go back stock, good news the Bilsteins stay, same shock for stock application. I will then consider the Carli system in a year or so when the tires give up the ghost. I will need to research the impact of the install, towing the fifth wheel and front end/driveshaft etc. From what I can tell the Carli system may be pricey, but the better way to go if a lift is desired.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 AM
FONRDAY
Elder User
Originally Posted by jmcquarry View Post
Very nice,,,but how did it affect the suspension alignment issues? Did you install drop down brackets, extended sway bar links etc?
You dont need anything else for the king oem coil shocks maybe a bigger block in the rear and if you run bigger than 35 tires you need stablizer up front. They are valved and enginered for the superduty.I just added traction bars and sway bars. cUz I ran 37

Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM
darren32
Post Fiend
darren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputationdarren32 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by FONRDAY View Post

Bad Boys had them on my last truck
Finally remembered who has these, lousy brain.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...w-picture.html

Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 PM
farmerdave
Senior User
farmerdave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.farmerdave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I am very happy with my Icon 2 1/2" leveling kit.

Just throwing it out there.

I agree with the pryer post. Camber correction is vital.