6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Bed Cap Hoist System

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:30 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed Cap Hoist System

I've been doing some research on the net for a bed cap hoist system. I was hoping others on this forum would be willing to share their ideas, systems, and photos.

I was hoping to have a ceiling mounted hoist to lift the cap as I probably won't have any help removing the cap.

I have ordered a Leer 100XR with a ceiling locker and roof rack.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:44 PM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two ceiling bike lifts may do it. If mounted correctly to the ceiling they may handle the weight and be able to be operated by one person. It's a low cost option but I'm thinking they wouldn't handle the weight if the cap. What's your total weight? On second thought they only handle 50 lbs each so not an option.

But something like it would be good with a higher weight rating. They would probably work for a flat fiberglass bed topper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00006...&robot_redir=1

Old 05-10-2014, 04:50 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
I think it will weigh a couple hundred pounds but not sure.

It will have a ceiling locker. So that will be a bit heavier than a shell without one: http://www.leer.com/Videos

I'll have it installed in a week, so I'll get back to all and advise.

I've been looking at electric winch type systems so I could use it for other purposes as well. Hopefully someone has a hoist system they want to show off so I don't have to be the topic trailblazer.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:16 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Old 05-10-2014, 10:20 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
EZ lift system

I'd seen this option. It seems to lift the cap vertically to allow for more room. Its not a way to lift a cap off for storage.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:34 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Harbor Freight has a good priced option with two different electric hoist models. One for 880 lbs and one for 1,300 lbs which is sufficient capacity for your topper. Just need to rig a 4 point attachment system that won't scratch/damage the topper.

Electric Hoist - 880 Lb. Capacity Electric Hoist

1300 lb. Electric Hoist with Remote Control

Old 05-11-2014, 09:41 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
And another option - they want over $200 for the higher capacity one at the bottom (#7806) but may be easier to mount than an electric hoist.

Garage Strategies™ - Harken

Old 05-11-2014, 03:11 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
Thank you for the suggestions

I hadn't seen those options. I saw some interesting concepts on you tube but nothing overly convincing to indicate that one option was better than the others. I like the electric hoist options.

Here's an idea that I hadn't thought through yet. I have an old garage door opener. I'm not sure that it could handle the the weight though. Thoughts?

Old 05-11-2014, 03:17 PM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Originally Posted by brmccolley
I hadn't seen those options. I saw some interesting concepts on you tube but nothing overly convincing to indicate that one option was better than the others. I like the electric hoist options.

Here's an idea that I hadn't thought through yet. I have an old garage door opener. I'm not sure that it could handle the the weight though. Thoughts?
I think I would avoid the garage door opener. I've switched all mine to DC jack shaft openers because I can't stand the noise or rely on the capacity of the old style openers. Most of the work on all types of garage door openers is done by the springs so they aren't that powerful.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:11 PM
garmford
Senior User

When my wife and I decided to switch from a travel trailer to a fifth wheel I has to do something with my cap too. Last thing I wanted to do is lay it in the weeds somewhere behind the house. I found a person online that did some similar to what I have done. I ordered most of it from Harbor Freight but I am sure you could find most of it at a good hardware store. I think Harbor Freight is the only place to get the winch for the wall. The 2x4's are screwed into the roof trusses. I have never let it down since I raised it up five years ago. The only advice that I could give is to cut the eye bolts off that hang down past the nut under the 2x4. I didn't and it scratched the paint on my truck box but that's what I get when I rush things. I had the lumber laying around the house already and probably spent less than $100 on the rest of the hardware. Good Luck!!

Old 05-11-2014, 05:56 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
That's awesome

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to study the photos but I like the way you have your system set up.

Thanks much...

Old 05-11-2014, 06:05 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
Cross bracing

It appears there are some wood braces going side to side above the supporting members. Is that to prevent the top from flexing over long term storage?

Old 05-11-2014, 06:53 PM
garmford
Senior User
Originally Posted by brmccolley
It appears there are some wood braces going side to side above the supporting members. Is that to prevent the top from flexing over long term storage?
The 2x4's on ceiling are perpendicular to the roof trusses above. It allowed me more options of where to put the pullies. I also think it helps disperse the weight as well.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 PM
brmccolley
Senior User
Inside the center section of the shell..

There appears to be a piece of wood going side-to-side, and then it appears there is a piece of wood attached to that wood member going to the back of the shell, and it appears that attaches to the rear supporting plank. I wasn't sure if the center piece of wood was to prevent the shell from flexing because it didn't seem to be supporting the weight of the shell.

I also noticed that you used the bed mounts to secure the shell to the supporting piece of wood at the rear. I may have overlooked that idea without having seen your set up.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:50 PM
garmford
Senior User
The wood you see in the cap is a shelf that I used along with the cap. I am a carpenter by trade, I always kept coffee cans with different fasteners along with various hand tools on the shelf. It helped to keep fewer thing on the floor of the truck bed. Yes the clamps worked well keeping the cap fastened to the 2x's.

Quick Reply: Bed Cap Hoist System