Sponsored by: Moser

Big Load - and first problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:12 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Load - and first problem

So I loaded the truck up for the first time with a load of (fresh) firewood. It was full. And heavy. My estimate is close to 2,000 lbs, as the wood was rather wet.
Truck handled the load fine - except one thing: I got a pretty severe shudder on every take-off. With no load, the truck takes off as smooth as it gets, and the shudder was gone after unloading.
Has anybody else seen this, especially with the HD payload option?
It is not a deal breaker or anything, but a little annoying, especially since I suspect it will be there also when I tow the trailer. AT least it's not an issue when empty - at least not for now. If that was there all the time - that would be bad, as the shudder was pretty hefty, the truck was shaking it's **** pretty good.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:17 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just thinking out load for a minute. Is it possible that the rear tires were rubbing?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:31 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have Max Tow, or HD package but my truck does the same thing when towing. I've been told it's from the double drive shafts. It makes sense to me, but I don't know for sure. My truck does it to about 25 mph.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:31 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Thanks, Juneau & efx4!
I don't think it's rubbing - it did sag a bit, but looked about level. With the tires rubbing, I'd also not expect it on take-off only, the shudder was gone at > 5 mph or so.
efx, the drive shaft would make sense. I can live with it - if it does not get worse and/or start doing it unloaded. How many miles do you have on your truck, and has the shudder changed over time?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Old 03-23-2012, 08:35 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Thanks cficare!
Now I have something to do, LOL.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:55 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Okay, I am on page 9 of 18 on that other thread that's linked above - and it does not look promising.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Eric Landstrom
Senior User
Originally Posted by flixden
So I loaded the truck up for the first time with a load of (fresh) firewood. It was full. And heavy. My estimate is close to 2,000 lbs, as the wood was rather wet.
Truck handled the load fine - except one thing: I got a pretty severe shudder on every take-off. With no load, the truck takes off as smooth as it gets, and the shudder was gone after unloading.
It is not a deal breaker or anything, but a little annoying, especially since I suspect it will be there also when I tow the trailer. AT least it's not an issue when empty - at least not for now. If that was there all the time - that would be bad, as the shudder was pretty hefty, the truck was shaking it's **** pretty good.
You have axel wrap. Install a set of Roadmaster Active Suspension to solve.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:13 AM
Ford8502
More Turbo
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts
Yep, axle wrap. I really hoped the HD package would have eliminated that, but the Ecoboost must be too much for the suspension.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:57 AM
spud57
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flixden
In all likelyhood it is the change in the rear pinion & drive shaft angle with the heavy load. This would result in the driveline vibration.

Had the same issue with my 250 when I had the 5th wheel on. Installed air springs to keep the truck at it's unloaded height. Problem dissappeared.

S

Old 03-24-2012, 09:12 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Yeah, I read through the other thread, and I am sure it's axle wrap. Some Toyotas experience the same thing, I had that with my Tacoma sometimes.
Comparing to what people describe in that other thread, what I have is very minor. Unloaded there is no problem at all. Considering that, I'll probably do nothing for now, and will be watching it, especially my first tow. I think the stiffer HD payload springs keep this from happening when empty, and my load was really heavy while the shudder wasn't all that bad considering what others have seen. No problem in second (or any other) gear either.
Only one thing seems to be for sure: talking to the dealer about this appears to be a waste of time.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Parts Jimmy
Senior User
Axle wrap is a common problem in today's trucks because people want a truck that rides like a car. Longer springs give the car like ride but when load heavy can have the wrap problem. The easiest way to combat the problem is with air bags or overload springs.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:15 AM
cameronskidoo
Cross-Country
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
go to another dealer
if you are within the weight limits of the truck they have to fix it

Old 03-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Parts Jimmy
Senior User
A dealer can fix the problem by lowering the drive shaft possibly or adjusting the pinion angle. Fixing the problem with a load may create a problem unloaded. In my opinion a small amount of axle wrap is acceptable. Was your load actually 1 ton or more? I rarely hear customers complain about axle wrap with F150s. On 250s and 350s it is a common complaint for owners with truck campers and 5th wheel trailers on 2008 and newer trucks. The older trucks like mine had shorter springs.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:23 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cameronskidoo
go to another dealer
if you are within the weight limits of the truck they have to fix it
I have not been to any dealer, and I don't really plan to go to see one for this.

Originally Posted by Parts Jimmy
Axle wrap is a common problem in today's trucks because people want a truck that rides like a car. Longer springs give the car like ride but when load heavy can have the wrap problem. The easiest way to combat the problem is with air bags or overload springs.
Jimmy, this is true in general, I think, but does not really apply here. I have the HD payload package, and the springs are far from soft. But that is probably the reason why the issue is not very pronounced, and there is no issue empty or with light loads.

Thanks everybody who chimed in!

Quick Reply: Big Load - and first problem