6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis
Old 11-12-2014, 04:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Coolant System Guides
Print Wikipost

Dealer want $2,200 to replace my radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Corter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer want $2,200 to replace my radiator

Over the past few weeks I have noticed small drip of antifreeze on the driveway, so I dropped the truck off at the dealer to see if it might be covered by the tsb that I have read about on the forum.

The truck is a 2008 F250 6.4 with 52,000 miles. I got a call back from the dealer this afternoon to tell me it does have a very small leak on the right side of the radiator and it's not covered and they need $2,200 to replace. After looking over the quote, no wonder it's that much. They want to replace everything on the cooling system (radiator, overflow tank, both rad hoses, thermostat, etc) with a charge of 5.5 hours of labor @ $110 an hour.

Is it just me, or does this seem a little excessive? Do I really need to replace everything or just the radiator.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:21 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Latest TSB directs them to replace all that.

Vista pro makes and aftermarket radiator for the 6.4. Not sure of the cost though.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Corter
New User
Originally Posted by senix
Latest TSB directs them to replace all that.

Vista pro makes and aftermarket radiator for the 6.4. Not sure of the cost though.
I referred the tsb and was told it only covers up to 3yr/36,000.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Corter
New User
It gets better, just got a call from the dealer. They forgot to add the labor for the themostat. We are now up to $2,450!!!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ROFL, got a good laugh when I read everything the TSB states to replace but then they refuse to cover it under warranty. All comes down to where the leak actually is as to what is covered and what isn't. I was denied because they claim it leaked at the split point on the lower hose and only replaced the upper and lower hoses. If it leaks on the ends it gets coded to the 5/100K warranty. If the actual radiator is leaking I can't remember the coverage, too many things have changed over and over to remember what is current.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Average cost for radiator replacement with new coolant is around $1,200 and all what there trying to replace is nonsense, unless they all went bad over night.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Corter
New User
Originally Posted by galaxie641
ROFL, got a good laugh when I read everything the TSB states to replace but then they refuse to cover it under warranty. All comes down to where the leak actually is as to what is covered and what isn't. I was denied because they claim it leaked at the split point on the lower hose and only replaced the upper and lower hoses. If it leaks on the ends it gets coded to the 5/100K warranty. If the actual radiator is leaking I can't remember the coverage, too many things have changed over and over to remember what is current.
I was told it didn't matter where it was leaking or what caused it, it wasn't covered under warranty unless it fell under the 3yr/36,000. Where they got me was the $250 diag fee. They did tell me that I can transfer the diag fee toward the repair if I choose to use the dealer.

If I choose to use an Indy shop in town that will do it for less, I still have my $250 fee from the Stealer (I mean dealer).

Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 PM
FivePointo
Senior User
Just my two cents, Ford covered my first 2 radiators and wanted 1500 for the 3rd because it's no longer under warranty. The dealership claimed my tuner caused the leak. Ummm what about the other two?? Anyway get an aftermarket radiator I did hope that solves the problem. Seriously Ford crimped on plastic end caps with an aluminum core... and it's more than 600 bucks... Just the radiator man nothing else is needed. It absolutely KILLS me Ford is aware of the issue but does nothing and will install a radiator of the same quality that failed !!!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Corter
New User
Originally Posted by FivePointo
Just my two cents, Ford covered my first 2 radiators and wanted 1500 for the 3rd because it's no longer under warranty. The dealership claimed my tuner caused the leak. Ummm what about the other two?? Anyway get an aftermarket radiator I did hope that solves the problem. Seriously Ford crimped on plastic end caps with an aluminum core... and it's more than 600 bucks... Just the radiator man nothing else is needed. It absolutely KILLS me Ford is aware of the issue but does nothing and will install a radiator of the same quality that failed !!!
My cost on an aftermarket radiator from O'reillys is $760. The delear wants $850 for an OEM replacement. Not sure if the O'reillys replacement is any better. If I can get the $65 an hour indy shop to do the repair, it would save me half the labor as the dealer is $110 an hour.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for a factory tech. My dad ran a BMW shop to ten years. I have a problem with the way they are figuring the labor. I think they are charging the labor piece by piece. Example...they want .5 hours for the radiator hose replacement, but you have to pull them to change the radiator. And three hours for the thermostat seems a little excessive.

I'm not diesel mechanic, but I have restored three frame off hotrods. I think they can cut the labor in half.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:42 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Corter
I was told it didn't matter where it was leaking or what caused it, it wasn't covered under warranty unless it fell under the 3yr/36,000. Where they got me was the $250 diag fee. They did tell me that I can transfer the diag fee toward the repair if I choose to use the dealer.

If I choose to use an Indy shop in town that will do it for less, I still have my $250 fee from the Stealer (I mean dealer).
You are either in a high dollar area or that dealer is a scammer, my guess is the latter. Diag fee here is $100 and they are definitely covered for more than 36/36 as has been discussed on this forum to death.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 AM
BASSHUNTER
Mountain Pass
I just got my 1st radiator installed a couple of weeks ago.The dealership installed radiator and new overflow tank as per TSB and Ford warrantied it.Don't know how they coded it but Ford covered it.I have paid for upper hose and was losing small amount of coolant every few months and they couldn't locate leak.Finally found leak on top LH corner of radiator.Mabe because they had tried to find coolant loss since before 36000.Have drove 1500 miles and no coolant loss in overflow bottle.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:53 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm guessing no extended warranty?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by Corter
My cost on an aftermarket radiator from O'reillys is $760. The delear wants $850 for an OEM replacement. Not sure if the O'reillys replacement is any better. If I can get the $65 an hour indy shop to do the repair, it would save me half the labor as the dealer is $110 an hour.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for a factory tech. My dad ran a BMW shop to ten years. I have a problem with the way they are figuring the labor. I think they are charging the labor piece by piece. Example...they want .5 hours for the radiator hose replacement, but you have to pull them to change the radiator. And three hours for the thermostat seems a little excessive.

I'm not diesel mechanic, but I have restored three frame off hotrods. I think they can cut the labor in half.
It definitely sounds like they're milking it. Go the independent shop route. Like you said....dealership mechanics do good work (at least from what I've experienced). However, they don't do anything that you can't get for less $$$ from an independent shop.

Another option is to ask around and see if any diesel mechanics in your area do any moonlighting on the side.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Corter
New User
Originally Posted by smotrs
I'm guessing no extended warranty?
No extended warranty. They wanted almost 3k for it and I'm pretty sure my DPF delete would void most of it.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Corter
New User
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer
It definitely sounds like they're milking it. Go the independent shop route. Like you said....dealership mechanics do good work (at least from what I've experienced). However, they don't do anything that you can't get for less $$$ from an independent shop.

Another option is to ask around and see if any diesel mechanics in your area do any moonlighting on the side.
Truck is schedule for Monday morning at a local diesel performance shop. I trust their work and their shop rate is almost half of the dealer.

I had a local Ford Diesel tech that would do some moonlighting for cash money, but he has recently stopped. Heard the dealer caught wind of his practice.

Quick Reply: Dealer want $2,200 to replace my radiator