6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis
Old 11-12-2014, 04:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Coolant System Guides
Print Wikipost

Dealer want $2,200 to replace my radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Corter
No extended warranty. They wanted almost 3k for it and I'm pretty sure my DPF delete would void most of it.
DPF Delete would only affect powertrain warranty, the radiator according to Ford isn't part of the power train. If it was, then it would be covered by the 5/100 powertrain warranty.

That said, adding a delete wouldn't affect the rest of your warranty, only the powertrain warranty.

In any case, since you don't have the extended, it doesn't matter. May want to look at possibly doing it yourself, just buy parts and coolant and swap it out. I know there's a company making aftermarket radiators for our trucks now, can't recall who though. May be worth it to go that route since you don't have the warranty.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:18 PM
dm2059
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right now it only leaks a few drops. I would consider trading it in and spend the $2450 on something else. 52k miles....unbelievable.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Corter
New User
Update...after my last encounter with the dealer wanting to add another $300 to the total repair bill, I pulled my truck from their shop and took it to a local diesel performance shop that specializes in Powerstrokes.

After having the truck for a week, they cannot find any leaks in the cooling system. In five separate test, the system held 17lbs of pressure with no leaks.

When I orginally took the truck into the dealer, it was to have the ECM flashed and to check for an oil leak. The radiator came about when check for an oil leak. I was told the radiator was low on coolant and it had a leak, and that would be $2,500. As stated before, the local shop cannot find a leak, but it determine the coolant loss is due to the EGR.

At the end Of the day, I was already planning on a DPF delete in the next month. Now that I do not have the expense of the radiator, they are working on the EGR / DPF delete, exhaust, and dyno tune. Should have the truck back in a few days.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 PM
ATX F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by Corter
Update...after my last encounter with the dealer wanting to add another $300 to the total repair bill, I pulled my truck from their shop and took it to a local diesel performance shop that specializes in Powerstrokes.

After having the truck for a week, they cannot find any leaks in the cooling system. In five separate test, the system held 17lbs of pressure with no leaks.

When I orginally took the truck into the dealer, it was to have the ECM flashed and to check for an oil leak. The radiator came about when check for an oil leak. I was told the radiator was low on coolant and it had a leak, and that would be $2,500. As stated before, the local shop cannot find a leak, but it determine the coolant loss is due to the EGR.

At the end Of the day, I was already planning on a DPF delete in the next month. Now that I do not have the expense of the radiator, they are working on the EGR / DPF delete, exhaust, and dyno tune. Should have the truck back in a few days.
Now thats a silver lining if I ever saw one!!!! I'm hoping for the same on finding out if I have to pay to replace my home 5 ton AC unit!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:03 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FivePointo
Just my two cents, Ford covered my first 2 radiators and wanted 1500 for the 3rd because it's no longer under warranty. It absolutely KILLS me Ford is aware of the issue but does nothing and will install a radiator of the same quality that failed !!!
I totally agree - I had a thread about this but nobody replied. Maybe I sounded too radical - especially in post#8 of the thread?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html

Old 04-03-2012, 07:45 AM
mrgreencms
Junior User
Originally Posted by LaredoF350
I totally agree - I had a thread about this but nobody replied. Maybe I sounded too radical - especially in post#8 of the thread?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html
I do not think you were too radical, great thought, I agree with you. Maybe if more of us (owners) would call Ford Corporate and register our concerns, they might do something. The way I see it as with any huge corporation they move very slow to change. Lets keep at it.
Dave

Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 PM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
If someone has the contact number and can post it, maybe a phone campaign of complaints (with everyone remaining civil and professional) may help our cause in the future. I have had 2 rads on warranty, and the 3rd on warranty due to Tstat hyperextension. With the same parts going back in, I see a bill that will need to be paid from my bank account. I dont feel that is the way to treat a customer on Fords part!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with complaining. I just had to have a egt Sensor replaced out of pocket. It was only covered under the 3/36 warranty. I asked them, isnt this part of the exhaust system or an engine required component that is covered for 5/100? they said you would think so but its not.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM
mrgreencms
Junior User
Originally Posted by LaredoF350
If someone has the contact number and can post it, maybe a phone campaign of complaints (with everyone remaining civil and professional) may help our cause in the future. I have had 2 rads on warranty, and the 3rd on warranty due to Tstat hyperextension. With the same parts going back in, I see a bill that will need to be paid from my bank account. I dont feel that is the way to treat a customer on Fords part!!!
I think we would need the part numbers of the all components so when we do call and register a concern we can speak specifically about the issue. As an owner of a 2010 F250 4x4 Lariet with 25,600 miles on it, I would like to let them know of my concerns and of the issue that several of our members have gone through. The idea of using the same problem part several times because it is in stock is not acceptable and we as owners should speak up even if we have not faced the issue. (Sounds like I am preaching) I believe that large corporations move slow to change, but if enough customers speak up, it might get the attention of someone who can make a change.
Dave
2010 F250 4x4 Diesel Lariet
no modifications

Old 11-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
I know this is an old thread but I thought I read sometime recently that radiators are now covered under the 100K mile engine warranty. Can anyone confirm this? I just passed 60K miles and IIRC the dealer told me that the trans warranty ends at 60K but the engine goes to 100K.

Is this correct?

Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 PM
FivePointo
Senior User
To my knowledge your powertrain has a 100k mile warranty...Radiator is NOT included

Old 11-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
I think this is what I was referring to...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...000-miles.html

Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
here is a possible option....I emailed them this weekend and this was their reply.

Thank you for contacting Detroit Radiator. At Detroit Radiator we specialize in radiators for class 6, 7, and 8 trucks. We would be able to provide you with a core for your radiator if you are able to provide us with the measurements of your core. We may be able to fabricate tanks in order to provide you with a complete radiator for your truck. We would need to know if your tanks are bolted on or soldered on, and a picture or drawing of the tanks with measurements. Please let me know if you have any other questions. And if you are able to provide me with the measurements and/or pictures I will be able to provide you with a quote on the needed radiator.

Thank you,

Chazidee Henricks
Customer Service Representative

800-525-0011 Toll Free EXT: 1659
734-284-9070 Local
chazideeh@detroitrad.com
Detroit Radiator Corp. Heavy Duty Truck Radiators, Radiator Cores, Charge Air Coolers

Old 11-07-2012, 07:03 PM
FivePointo
Senior User
Yea well they aren't I am on my 3rd the last one was at 69k miles. Ford would NOT cover it. In fact the dealership, I say dealership not Ford service center because they sell cars they are retards when it comes to repairing them. Hardy Family Ford in Dallas Ga. said they had NEVER heard of 6.4 radiator issues. They are either liars or scumbags or both. In any event I asked to speak to the Ford rep. next time he was in. Instead I got a letter of denial from Ford because I was outide the 36k mile warranty period.
I had a local shop put aluminum ends on my radiator and no more issues.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 PM
marspec
Senior User
Originally Posted by jasfaa
Good luck with complaining. I just had to have a egt Sensor replaced out of pocket. It was only covered under the 3/36 warranty. I asked them, isnt this part of the exhaust system or an engine required component that is covered for 5/100? they said you would think so but its not.
It would seem to me that the EGR is part of the anti-pollutiion system. Doesn't that system come under a different warranty?

Quick Reply: Dealer want $2,200 to replace my radiator