6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Repeat wheel bearing failures???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lou Braun
Since this is a repeat failure, I'd recommend checking a few things before just replacing the bearing.

The bearing inner and outer races need to be replaced as a unit. Just replacing the bearing and not the race can cause the problem you are seeing. Make sure that the new cup is fully seated in the hub - very important.

The bearing is installed, followed by a flat washer that is smaller than the OD of the bearing. You want the washer to push against the bearing cup and not touch the rollers.

A hub nut goes on next. Tighten to seat the bearing, back off and retighten to about 1 fl-lb to remove play. Install the nut retainer. Install a cotter pin. The hub nut may be a castle nut with the nut retainer as part of the nut. In that case a nut retainer is not used.

With the correct parts and with a properly seated bearing race and bearing, your truck should go for thousands of miles without any problems.

Lou Braun
All of this has been done correctly every time. I always replace inner, and outer bearings as a set, as well as new race, new seal, and new cotter pin. Like I said in the OP I have done many many wheel bearings in the past without ever having a problem. My Grandpaw owned his own shop, so I have been wrenching on stuff since before I can remember. Very good point though.

As for the spindle shaft, I would think the same thing, but when it failed the first time I installed a brand new spindle from ford. That and when ford did the job last time they checked the spindle to make sure it was still in specs.

This thing has me puzzled. Part of me wants to beleave that it might be the aftermarket wheels I put on (18" rockstars), but I just can't see that as the real problem. I think I had 5-10K miles on it with the Rockstars when it failed the first time. After ~110K miles with the stock wheels and bearings

Old 03-23-2012, 07:02 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006lariat
Are your axle shafts wore? My brother has a chevy, and the "stub" shaft, (the one that goes through the unit bearing was wore) and he was eating bearing's till a mechanic told him to replace the half shaft with the unit bearing. been 2 yrs with no problem's.

I don't know if it would matter on a super duty, but the mechanic said the axle shaft on the chevy supported the bearing's.
(I have never had the front of my Super Duty apart)
Don't have axle shafts on a 4X2.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
So is the Steering knuckle and the Spindal all 1 peice???

or can you replace Just the spindal ???

From a pic on Tousley Ford it looked like 1 peice Steering Knuckle/Spindal

You mention that you replaced the spindal but did say anything about Ball Joints

So I guess what I am getting at is maybe a BallJoint is bad causing the spindal to be Cocked and causing Strain and wearing the Hub bearing premature

Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 PM
texans
Postmaster
Oh yeah forgot to mention that. Good thought Benny, but yes I have repalced the Ball joints (twice atcually cause I put a new set in after each spindle replacement).

Yes it's a one piece steering knockle/spindle

Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 AM
77f250sc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check wheel offset???

This thing has me puzzled. Part of me wants to beleave that it might be the aftermarket wheels I put on (18" rockstars), but I just can't see that as the real problem. I think I had 5-10K miles on it with the Rockstars when it failed the first time. After ~110K miles with the stock wheels and bearings

The loading on the wheel bearings could be shifted more to the outer bearing due to the aftermarket wheels having a different offset. No matter how it is assembled, if a bearing is being overloaded, it would fail in the manner of which you are describing.

my $.02

'77

Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM
texans
Postmaster
Thanks for the thoughts. I actually just picked it up from ford a few days ago. They ended up replacing the dust shield to the updated style. Said the old one wasn't working to keep the dust out. Also they installed new rotors/hubs, said that the races didn't fit quiet right. I will buy that the rotor might have been the problem, but still unsure. Either way it's back together now and if I have any more problems out of this I will be trying to find someone to trade me straight across for some factory wheels.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Mich6.0
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like 77f250sc said if the offset is set more to the outside it will put more pressure on the bearings causing premature failure. How far out do the wheels stick out of the wheel well? is the same side failing all the time? I can;t believe Ford would change the bearings and not the races also they should come as a kit.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:36 AM
Wdagron
New User
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
Any strange tire wear? I'm thinking anything that's bent enough to start chewing up wheel bearings would chew up tires even faster. If there's no funny or fast tire wear, you can probably rule out bent suspension or steering parts.

Sounds like a stupid question, but are you sure you're getting the right bearings? I'd take a stab in the dark and say that since the OEM bearings from Ford (presumably based on your VIN when in the shop) lasted the longest, there's an issue with someone's parts computer/book elsewhere, that's listing the wrong bearings. Heaven help us if they're listing ball bearings versus tapered roller?

What brand of bearings? I think Timken may be the only US-made brand left...

As far as I remember, bearings don't fail unless they're either the wrong size, or are not lubricated. You're using HIGH TEMP wheel bearing grease, right?

I'm covering the basics here in order to clarify everyone's thought process.

Normal bearing operating conditions are such that failures show up FAST; properly lubed and assembled bearings last for hundreds of thousands of miles before failure.

HOW do the bearings fail? Does the cage come apart? Do the bearing rollers shatter? Do the races pit, gouge, groove, or otherwise degenerate? Note that the bearings on the 4x4's have plastic(!) cages.

I'm thinking here that you're getting the wrong bearings, which are listed incorrectly in the parts book or computer. The inner and outer race diameters are such that they fit the hub and spindle, but the bearing rollers are the wrong size, probably too small. This makes the bearing too narrow, and so the "proper" torque on the spindle nut doesn't properly pre-load the bearings. The "excess" weight (since the bearing is too small) quickly overloads the strength of the rollers, and the whole thing shatters.

-blaine
I've had my right front bearing replaced twice in thirty days, the right spindle replaced, and the left front bearing repacked then replaced twice as well. All in 30 days... Which has been covered under the warranty of my mechanic for the original repairs, but shouldn't he be looking for other reasons for the bearings failing like this? I left the truck at the shop tonight after the left front seized up, the abs kicked on, and it started smoking from the bearing! I had a front brake job a couple months ago by another shop, could they have over tightened something that my mechanic missed? Or do I just need a new mechanic?? Or do I need to cut my losses now at 115,000 miles with this 2011 ranger? Any advice is appreciated!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:29 AM
heduz
New User
wheel bearing failures australian F250 right front has failed twice last 2000km comes complete as i

My Australian F250 dual cab 2002 has had two failures to right front bearing which has been replaced bu mechanic as far as i can see they come pre greased as it seems to be a sealed unit complete with wheel studs attached so why has the same front wheel bearing failed twice last 2000km, i have fitted steel wheels and 35" General Grabbers and a 4" lift but this is supposed to be a super duty truck

Old 02-15-2017, 07:33 AM
SparkyAl
Junior User
Here's a thought, you probably drive the same route on a pretty regular basis, so it involves constantly turning in one direction more than the other. When you make a turn at higher speeds, the vehicle will tend to roll into the turn shifting the weight vector on the suspension, and if braking while turning, you tend to shift the weight vector forward due to inertia, and it's even more extreme in pickups due to the most of the weight being forward already. I had 3 failures of the right front wheel bearings on my old Dodge pickup before I figured it out that every day I made a high speed braking right turn as I came off the highway on my way to work. Coming home, the turns were in the opposite direction, but since they were mostly left turns I had to stop before making them, hence less weight shift. Just something to think about...

Old 03-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Cobra_F150XL
New User
Unhappy Repeat Front Hub Failures -- 2WD

Try this situation -- Purchased 2006 F-150 XL with 57,000 miles. Truck built on 05/24/2006.
Sept 2011 68,621 miles -- Left front hub failure -- Wheel bearing grinding -- Done by Bell Ford in Phoenix.
2013 -- Left front hub failure -- wheel bearing grinding -- done by independent shop.
Sept 2014 -- Left front hub failure -- wheel bearing grinding -- done by independent shop.
Sept 2016 -- Upper & lower control arms, struts, strut mounts, springs replaced -- Quality part used -- Complete front end alignment -- Brake job front and rear.
Nov 2016 -- New performance exhaust system due to exhaust leaks.
Dec 2016 -- Failed automatic transmission -- Remanufactured FORD transmission installed w/ 36 mo warranty. Sanderson Ford gets an A+
March 16, 2017 151,000 miles -- Left front hub failure -- wheel bearing grinding! Verified by jacking up truck and spinning left front wheel -- GRIND! This is coming from down in the hub. This is a 2 wheel drive truck.
NO Towing! NO Overloading! It only hauls maybe 200 to 300 pounds of electronic equipment at the max, once in a while.
This is driving me crazy! I always use FORD PARTS for the HUB ASSEMBLIES.
Anyone have any ideas. Really loosing faith, the front right hub is OEM original - NEVER CHANGED!
Anyone from FORD please chime in on this issue.
HELP PLEASE!
Wallace

Old 03-18-2017, 08:36 PM
Cobra_F150XL
New User
Forgot --- Ford OEM XLT Style 17" Aluminum rims with Michelin LTX M/S2 (Defender LTX) tires all around.
Wallace