1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

how to videos related to our trucks? Please read!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:06 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 712 Likes on 256 Posts
Ax...

I think you have a good idea... and I vote for video for sale versus u-tube. Personally I like written/pictures directions also since that's what I do. The videos would be marketable to more than just the f-100 guys... those Chevy and Dodge lovers have to wire their trucks and install their engines, etc.

I'd cover basic how-tos first... the stuff you see all the newbs ask... how do you get the steering column out... wheel changes... differential change outs...brakes, etc. The complicated stuff i.e. IFS changeouts and serious metal work could come later. I see a small group who are actually interested in beating out new panels and such... but they are there.

I'd imagine it's gonna be time consuming... lots of takes and editing... but I think it would be a very useful tool for a lot of folks... who knows, you might find a market with some of the aftermarket dealers selling YOUR video of you installing their parts... the magazines make money with their articles doing that...

later
John

Old 03-23-2012, 10:45 AM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a shutterbug and have a T5, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, etc all ready... One of the very common things folks do to take the truck from museum piece to daily driver. I already planned on taking a ton of pix (mostly for myself / CRS reasons), but would definitely be willing to record everything I do... Editing it up and making it one "short" 2 hour how to is a lot of work, work that I kinda would like to be paid for since it really isn't part of the project itself....

Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How about going both ways? You could post short-simple couple minute things and add a comment or some kind of reference to the longer, more detailed videos on more complicated stuff.

I'm not sure how the 10 min mark works, I've found full lenght movies on youtube.

Edit: Just thought about the itunes option. There's a lot of people posting music, books and other things on the itunes store.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:10 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 176 Likes on 125 Posts
I think this goes against the idea behind this site. You are asking users of this site about ways to make money based on questions you answered on the site but yet you are not a supporter of the site. I know you have offered up lots of good information on this here but if you don't like repeating answers, then don't. People can use the search function or somebody else will fill the void and answer the question. I don't respond to every thread I have information on because it is not needed and you can do the same.

That is my .02.

Keep sharing your information freely on this site as that it what is for (and maybe become a supporter of the site).

Old 03-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Cooter55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
I think this goes against the idea behind this site. You are asking users of this site about ways to make money based on questions you answered on the site but yet you are not a supporter of the site. I know you have offered up lots of good information on this here but if you don't like repeating answers, then don't. People can use the search function or somebody else will fill the void and answer the question. I don't respond to every thread I have information on because it is not needed and you can do the same.

That is my .02.

Keep sharing your information freely on this site as that it what is for (and maybe become a supporter of the site).
Hate to say it, but I agree with Truckee. There's nothing stopping you from making videos and selling them in the classifieds, or any other retail venue. The premise of this thread kind of goes against the intent of the forum, though. Offer free help if you want, or sit back and not contribute, your call.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:33 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Videos for money

Sorry AXracer but I don't see this as a great moneymaker for you. Also I agree with truckee in that all of us provide this information to each other in the spirit of camaraderie. There might be some members that would be upset if you were using information that they posted to make money.

What we really need is a way to organize the data that we have on here a bit better. The search engine works well but sometimes it works too well. It would be nice if there was some way to classify threads and maybe even posts by specific model years and parts of the vehicle kind of like eBay does. Something to get us closer to what we want to see. There is so much great information here . . .

Once it was organized we could look for key information that is missing and then create or recreate it. Some of the guys have been doing this for a long time. They have things in their head but not readily available.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:45 AM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like your idea but agree with some others that there isn't a big enough market. I searched you tube for info on putting my doors back together and about the only thing I found was "Scott's 56 F100" how too videos. You likely will be more detailed and make a better video but you have to do a ton better than him to get any $ out of you tube. 1956 Ford F100 Vent Window Adjustment - YouTube

Old 03-24-2012, 07:07 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Originally Posted by petemcl

What we really need is a way to organize the data that we have on here a bit better. The search engine works well but sometimes it works too well. It would be nice if there was some way to classify threads and maybe even posts by specific model years and parts of the vehicle kind of like eBay does. Something to get us closer to what we want to see. There is so much great information here . . .

Once it was organized we could look for key information that is missing and then create or recreate it. Some of the guys have been doing this for a long time. They have things in their head but not readily available.
Good point Pete... but we have found the enemy and it is us... search engines are dumb.. all they know is what they are looking for and if two things 'look' alike. One of the major problems with the searching being too well is that our input isn't specific. How many posts have you seen with a title of "I need help". Me and others have preached for years to be specific in your titles... i.e. "help with carb problems on a 351" ... you get results on specifics mentioned in searches get better results.

I like to use Google with "" quotes around my search stuff and specify this forum as the "site or domain" parameter

AFA the going against the premise of this forum... I gotta disagree. Chuck never said he wasn't going to contribute to this forum anymore.. and over the years he's done lots. Look at his post count. And being a supporter isn't so much to help Internet Brands as it is help to the forum member...less ads , and popups etc. I've written several articles on things I"VE personally attempted and some were published and paid for nicely. Some of that knowledge I had in my head, some of it came from things I've read on here, some of it came from other people in other places. I think Chuck's intent was to make some useful knowledge available in a high quality format and if possible to cover the cost of time/labor. No one is going to lose anything if his endeavor fails...but him. He's been around here a long time and contributed a great deal... Whether or not he does the video thing won't change that IMHO

soapbox back under desk

my $ 0.0125 after taxes

j

Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
Sorry AXracer but I don't see this as a great moneymaker for you. Also I agree with truckee in that all of us provide this information to each other in the spirit of camaraderie. There might be some members that would be upset if you were using information that they posted to make money.
I have to agree for the most part......I don't see a lot of people paying for info they can find for free on the net. The folks on this forum are very generous with help and as long as they (we) are willing to answer the noob questions, most aren't gonna pay for it. I personally will continue to offer up help for free, this is just a hobby for me after all........

Guys like Ron Covell an Chip Foose can sell videos because they have made a name for themselves building show cars and being in the public eye.

So AX, a couple questions......who is your target audience? Is this an internet sales only deal? How do you plan to market these videos? You cannot advertise them on THIS forum (unless you are a paid sponsor).....heck, I got a nastygram from admin just for having "I have parts for sale" in my signature line.
If you have to pay to advertise, there goes your profits.....

Old 03-24-2012, 02:13 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I think a couple posters here have missed the point. I have contributed a LOT of my information skills and knowledge here out of the love of the hobby and to freely help others, and will continue to do so.
I just felt there were some topics that come up here regularly that would be better covered visually rather than in words. If "A picture is worth... etc." then a moving picture can be worth 10X as many words, IMHO when you can see and hear the process being done. (how do you explain in words how hard to hit a piece of metal to shape it, or how to make it smooth?) I certainly can demonstrate making and using a simple die form on a video much easier and clearer than I could in words and which would also need a lot of time consuming to produce diagrams and photos to go with it. I can't explain how to begin to MIG weld without writing a small book, but I can demonstrate it in less than an hour.
I have no intention of stealing anyone else's information from here or anywhere else and sell it, I don't know where that came from? I find that is one of the biggest problems with much of the how to literature on the market, it was written by writers not experts who simply read what others have said, and regurgitate it as fact without ever verifying it by personal experience to see if it is actually true in the real world. That's how old wives tales become "fact": if it is told enough times it "must be true".
My strength is I test "facts" and never take them at face value. I am also an excellent teacher (my education degrees back that up, as do my students.) I can explain things in such a way as to make them understandable and easy to remember without becoming boring.
No, I don't have the name like Chip Foose or Ron Covell in this field mostly because I've done this as an advocation while making a professional name for myself in another field. That doesn't mean what I am offering here isn't valuable or worthwhile.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:56 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
I agree wholeheartedly Chuck... I can learn something 10x faster watching it done or helping do it than I can reading a how-to.. I hate written instructions... now written instructions with pictures I can live with.

your examples are spot on... trying to tell someone how to solder... is complicated... but letting them watch as the solder/wire reach proper temp and the solder wicks into the wire is explanation enough

I don't like the format that the magazines are taking now... little bitty 1.5" pictures... there is no detail OR some guys fat fingers take up 2/3s of the pic...... but evidently the paying sponsors love it cause they keep paying.

do your videos Chuck...

j

Old 03-24-2012, 05:02 PM
TWODOGS522001
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you show me and I learn it twice as fast with less mess ups.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ax, in the first post of this thread it sounded as if you were not going to answere the same questions over and over anymore, but make the videos instead. This may not of been your intention, but I think, that is why the negative responses. Imo several folk on the site have offered side busisness such as panel making, or parts selling, and I think having these types of things available to membersis a posative thing, as would be the abilaty to buy an in depth how to video, like you have mentioned. Also Imo as long as these types of offerings are generaly kept low key like mentioned in a signature ect. and do not take the place of free advice they are a plus, but the atractivness of this site is free advice from one builder to another should always be honored. I read this thread from the start and can see that possably your intentions may have been misunderstood. I dont know. Thats my 2 cents, ment to calm and not inflame.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Jim, thank you. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, I just felt that some of the questions that are asked over and over may seem simple on the surface, but to do a good job answering them often takes a number of involved posts and even then would be better shown than explained. I would love to give hands on classes, but I sent up that trial balloon a while back and it sank right back down.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:08 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK - Settled - I'll give you $25.00 US for the first video
Now that we are talking actual money Take it to the swap/sell/buy section.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to videos related to our trucks? Please read!