1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GCWR opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
I had that talk with several DOT officers in California and there is no such thing as technically legal GCVW.
What the Police care about is how much allowed weight you are PAYING FOR. Meaning if you put 25,000 lb sticker on Ranger and haul 25,000lb without making situation -the Police have no business to stop you.
Lot of 1-ton pickup are used commercially for pulling 25,000 to 30,000 gooseneck trailers.
Other concern is your license. Have to go commerical or Non Commerical for over 26,001 lbs.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:49 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with the regiatration numbers being the ones they really care about. Just about 2 months ago I realized the dummy dealer I go my truck from registered it at 9k so the fees were less. Just put it back to 12600 like the door sticker says. Coat me $30 but I'd like the full use of my 4995 payload as they go by what you paid for on the registration. Just bought a dump trailer and had it derated from 14k to 13200 to put me at 25800 so I don't need a cdl. So it's what's on the GVWR sticker and whats on your registration that matter in NY from what I can tell.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senix
Other concern is your license. Have to go commerical or Non Commerical for over 26,001 lbs.
Even without CDL you can legally drive 36,000 lb set.
Make it 26,000 lb truck and 9,999 lb trailer.
Funny part how states react to the weight stickers. I do have 30k sticker, what in CA is big sticker on the side of the door. Got pulled out at scales in WA and the officer spend 45 minutes trying to find a law I might break. His main issue was that for the set RATED above 26k in WA I would have to buy fuel permit. I was towing a boat and was at about 17k actual weight, but that didn't matter.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
I agree with the regiatration numbers being the ones they really care about. Just about 2 months ago I realized the dummy dealer I go my truck from registered it at 9k so the fees were less. Just put it back to 12600 like the door sticker says. Coat me $30 but I'd like the full use of my 4995 payload as they go by what you paid for on the registration. Just bought a dump trailer and had it derated from 14k to 13200 to put me at 25800 so I don't need a cdl. So it's what's on the GVWR sticker and whats on your registration that matter in NY from what I can tell.
I would not call the dealer dummy before checking your state law.
The 12,600 lb sticker makes your pickup a truck. Meaning you might have to go via scales in several states. Have fun with that

Old 03-22-2012, 10:42 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
I would not call the dealer dummy before checking your state law.
The 12,600 lb sticker makes your pickup a truck. Meaning you might have to go via scales in several states. Have fun with that

I dont do any interstate travel and if I left it at 9k and put in a full payload i could get a weight ticket....so.....

Also on the DMV form it asks for the Max Gross Weight...why lie

Old 03-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
How could you get weight ticket if you don't go via scales?
Now you better observe the 12,600 limit.
I had exact situation on my F450 that was used for 8 years by PO and me on 9000k registration. Than I got pulled over hauling tractor and the officer read the 15k door label and made me changing the registration. Than I was required getting CA number, what required commercial insurance. Than I got fix ticket for having registration sticker on rear plates, while on truck it needs to be on front.
Bottom line my registration and insurance went from $600 a year to $3000 a year. That is why I bought F250 and am in process of selling F450.
Even if you stretch the law with underregistration, not doing commercial you can get away with it. Just stay low profile and don't let the load stick too high from the pickup.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
How could you get weight sticker if you don't go via scales?
Now you better observe the 12,600 limit.
I had exact situation on my F450 that was used for 8 years by PO and me on 9000k registration. Than I got pulled over hauling tractor and the officer read the 15k door label and made me changing the registration. Than I was required getting CA number, what required commercial insurance.
Bottom line my registration and insurance went from $600 a year to $3000 a year. That is why I bought F250 and am in process of selling F450.
Even if you stretch the law with underregistration, not doing commercial you can get away with it. Just stay low profile and don't let the load stick too high from the pickup.

I think you are too used to the heavy regulation in CA. I went to my DMV office filled out the form and put in my GVWR in the Gross Vehicle Weight section on the form which is what you should do as that is what it is asking for, that is all. Increased my registration fee by $30. There is a whole section documenting fees for registration of commercial vehicles here in NY. It goes until you get over 18,000lbs then doesn't list fees. If I find different I will definitely let you know but really I believe your CA regulations are probably some of the most strict out there.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Ticket meaning DOT decides to weigh you.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
I believe your CA regulations are probably some of the most strict out there.
I don't think it has anything to do with being strict, but a lot with being cash-starved.
As I said - nobody enforced those things in the past, but now pickups and delivery truck are commonly targeted at scales. THEY MAKE EASY MONEY REVENUE. Especially trailers with discharged break-away battery.
Bad news for you is that most of the states follow CA, especially in the ideas how to make the citizens wallets lighter.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
I don't think it has anything to do with being strict, but a lot with being cash-starved.
As I said - nobody enforced those things in the past, but now pickups and delivery truck are commonly targeted at scales. THEY MAKE EASY MONEY REVENUE. Especially trailers with discharged break-away battery.
Bad news for you is that most of the states follow CA, especially in the ideas how to make the citizens wallets lighter.

I completely agree with you about the cash starved states. I just want to make sure that when there are DOT check points for NY I have my fire extinguisher, three emergency triangles, and have the proper weight listed on my registration. I dont want my registration listed as 9k (eventhough the manufacturer door label says 12,600GVWR) when I have 2500lbs in the bed and my trailer hooked up fully loaded and get the scales to say I'm at 10,500lbs on my truck but only registered for 9,000. But yea they will be more concerned with my breakaway battery being charged. I charge that sucker all the time. I'm not sure we are on the same page but oh well. Also I do not need to have a weight sticker on the outside of my door. Just my DOT #'s. I looked through CA DMV's website and they talked about having those numbers on the outside of your truck. Not here in NY, not yet...

Old 03-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Not here in NY, not yet...
Sounds like you've got my point
DOT # is necessary for commencing business over state line. Why do you need them?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:44 AM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Having trouble finding out exactly who can answer as to whether TN can change the weight limits on the truck or not. I did talk to a THP officer at a weight station who said, "we don't enforce that, though that doesn't mean we can't." Sounds like I won't be bothered, but I am still checking into this.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Per my experience the law is so complicated and so murky that no officer will have definite answer. Lately I asked about definition of "pickup" at the scale office. They had to pull a book to find it (it is 11,400 lb limit in CA). When I went commercial I had to get 3 different permits from the state and than each state I drive via is having additional requirements. Oregon is most liberal per my experience. Cutting corner of AZ with a boat I had to pay $15 their permit fee. That was for about 25 miles I did in this state.
Wait for TN to have budget problems

Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselVol
Having trouble finding out exactly who can answer as to whether TN can change the weight limits on the truck or not. I did talk to a THP officer at a weight station who said, "we don't enforce that, though that doesn't mean we can't." Sounds like I won't be bothered, but I am still checking into this.
I would probably check with the DMV about increasing the registered weight of your truck. They may or may not be able to do that.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:22 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Per my experience the law is so complicated and so murky that no officer will have definite answer. Lately I asked about definition of "pickup" at the scale office. They had to pull a book to find it (it is 11,400 lb limit in CA). When I went commercial I had to get 3 different permits from the state and than each state I drive via is having additional requirements. Oregon is most liberal per my experience. Cutting corner of AZ with a boat I had to pay $15 their permit fee. That was for about 25 miles I did in this state.
Wait for TN to have budget problems
That particular officer is the one who runs the weight station that I have pass on the way to my farm, so I'm encouraged that he doesn't much seem to care.

Quick Reply: GCWR opinion