Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Wanna Share Your Local Restaurant Reviews?....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
We're also staying downtown. Las Polomas, IIRC. Short walk to everything. Been there several times, but still have fun going back. Celebrating Janey's BD tomorrow, so will do some serious shopping.

Sitting in the plaza in Taos, having driven in this morn. Lotsa mountains with fresh snow. Dentside making good small-block noises sitting at the light. Beautiful blue sky above and just enough chill to make the jacket feel good - along with the sun. Tough life.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
Good Review: My family and i discovered Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers this past Saturday. The location we visited was on 71st in Tulsa. Awesome fresh, hot food at fair prices. The portions are big. The place was clean and the younger wait staff really seemed to enjoy working there and it showed with their great service. Cant wait for the one to open up here in Owasso. Woohoo.

Bad Review: dont waste yer money on the chicken meals at Red Robin in Owasso. My wife and i had lunch there last week and it was way overpriced for everything. over $3 for an iced tea. That was bull. Her burger was nothing close to as good as a home made burger and it cost over $9. What a waste. My chicken salad was gross. The chicken was rubbery and flat. It was something i'd expect from a microwave dinner. Gross gross gross. And to top it all off my iced tea was delivered with something rolling around in the bottom of the glass. And no it was not a lemon seed as there was no lemon in either of our teas. Dirty dirty dirty. I doubt we'll ever be going back there.
Glad you found that place Ron(Freddy's). I eat there a few times a month. I cant believe I have never thought about posting it here. The steakburgers are great and the custard is fantastic. Their fountain drinks are actually soda and not the regular carbonated pop we have at all of our restaraunts. I love the little shoestring french fries. I get a sundae when I eat there. My favorite is the Hawaiian,but, I like the turtle also.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes, Janey and I like Freddy's as well. And, we can have a filling meal for less than $10.

Btw, stopped in a nice B&B for the night on our way from Albuquerque yesterday to Nashville tomorrow. The scenery isn't quite what we had in Santa Fe, nor is the service as you have to pour your own cereal. But, there seems to be a nice shop out back and what appears to be three old Ford trucks sitting around in various states of disrepair.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
But, there seems to be a nice shop out back and what appears to be three old Ford trucks sitting around in various states of disrepair.
I thought you wanted only creampuffs?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I thought you wanted only creampuffs?
That's how I found out how onerous it is to revive derelicts.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've tried the new Freddies in Owasso twice now. Both times it is to loud, food is OK, great fries though. They could also add something to their "fry sauce", to bland and seems to much mayo in it.

It also seems that the quality at Legends has gone down a bit, while prices have gone up a bit. The shredded chicken we got the other night, was on the chewy/rubbery side.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
We tried Freddies as well. It was certainly loud and busy, but the food seemed about the same as the one on 71st Street.

But, Skiatook has a new Italian place and we love it. Luigi's is at the west light in downtown Skiatook and has excellent food. One of the ladies there is from Sicily, and I'm guessing that the older gentleman and lady are her father and mother, but don't know that. Anyway, try it out. The food is good, the service is good, and the people are friendly.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
That sounds like it could be a good place to eat Gary. The wifey loves Italian and that place could be authentic from the way you described it.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I'm pretty sure it is authentic. Ma and Pa look authentic, and I forgot to mention that people we took in there on Saturday thing one of the guys must be authentic. And I know for sure that one lady is from Sicily as I've talked with her numerous times. It may be that having asked if that picture is Positano, which is close to Sicily, that got her attention. But she remembers us and greets us with a smile every time. Please try it out and let us know what you think.

It is on the corner of OK20, which is our main street, and Osage. That's the last light in downtown Skiatook, just before the car lot on the north side that has JW's Bronco. In the old Woodrow's restaurant building, or the coffee shop if you've been there.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Gonna have to try Luigi's one of these days.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My family and I stopped by The Rock Café, on Route 66 on the way to Six Flags in Mid July. The service was surprisingly good, as it was one of their young sons taking the order and delivering the food. We had breakfast. The portions were big. My sons loved the custom big omelette, blueberry crepes, fresh juice. My wife and I enjoyed all of our food too. The bacon was especially good. I'm a bacon conossuer and have never tasted bacon smoke flavored like that. It was really really good. If you ever drive through Stroud, stop by the Rock Café on old Route 66.
(In case you didn't know, the lady owner was the inspiration for Sally the Porche on the movie Cars.)

Old 08-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Ron,
We've eaten there a couple of times, but never for breakfast. We are going to have to try it! Thanks.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Ron,
They must have changed things up after their big fire. Although we've never been there, most I've talked to said it was just OK and not really worth the trip. Might just have to try it one of these days.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:55 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whew, don't waste your time at the Charlies Chicken drive thru on 86th street in Owasso. My family and I tried that on Saturday. Their intercom system was static filled and they could not hear us. We had to drive up to the window to order, not seeing the menu. They gave us a paper menu to look at. After placing the order it took quite awhile for them to prep it. We sat with the engine off while we waited. That was too long for drive thru. When the order was ready they messed up the sides on my meal but gave me the correct sides in a separate bag. Then they forgot to give us the last drink.

The jalepeno chicken nuggets were good, and the chicken chunks and mixed pieces were good. All the meals came with some very tastey rolls. They reminded me of the hawaiin rolls. The mashed potatoes and gravy were awesome. The fried okra was blah-not worth it-odd taste. The cole slaw was good. The potato salad used semi crunchy potato bits---wrong texture.

I don't plan on going back.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:27 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Well that's too bad. That actually used to be a different chicken place before Charlies bought it. I cant remember the name , but man was it goo. hat place used to be so packed for lunch that you would have to wait.

Quick Reply: Wanna Share Your Local Restaurant Reviews?....