Sponsored by: DP Tuner

02 F350 oil leak from Y pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
TurfSpecOK
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 F350 oil leak from Y pipe.

Hi everyone, I have a pretty good oil leak coming from the valley on my 7.3. I did some research on this site and came to the conclusion that is was probably the o-rings at the turbo pedestal. However, when I tore into it I discovered the areas where the o-rings in the turbo pedestal go on top and bottom are clean and dry. What I did find is that the oil seems to be coming out of the back side of both of the orange boots on either side of the Y pipe. I also noticed when I was removing the Y pipe that the bottom hose clamps on both boots were a little loose. I can see an oil trail that comes out the back side and then runs down the cover just under the boots and then finally down into the valley. Problem solved right? I figure just to be safe, I will replace both boots and make sure everything is tight when I put it back together. The issue is that a buddy of mine has me wondering if there is even supposed to be that much oil flowing through the Y pipe in the first place and that this might be caused by a more serious problem. Any thoughts?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Yes, it's ok. The clamps come loose and the boots leak. They have a modification for the problem, but there are pro's and con's to it. You will have to do some research. I had the same problem. I took the whole thing off and clean it, then replaced boots. Problem solved. It is a good idea to put a small metal wire under where the boots seat. This gives the clamps something to grab to which prevents the boots from slipping off.

Good Luck

Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 AM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A little oil can look like a lot, and a big mess. It's common on these trucks for oil to weep from the orange boots near the spider and the intercooler. Many guys have done whats called the ccv mod in an attempt to route the oily gasses from the crankcase elsewhere.

If you removed and cleaned the boots and reconnected tightly, you should be good. Keep an eye on it.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 AM
TurfSpecOK
New User
Ok, thanks for the help. Sounds like we are on the right track.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
spongecop
Semper Fi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am beginning to wonder if thats whats leaking down both sides on my truck. did you see it running down both sides of the heads? I thought initially it was my pedestal to block connection but after looking at my boots they leak and run down the intakes onto the rear of the block. Seems like alot of oil for CCV but I'm new to the diesel stuff.

Do the plenum inserts Riff Raff sells helf funnel the oil into the intake better?????

Old 03-21-2012, 05:11 PM
gradyc
wellhead
Originally Posted by spongecop
I am beginning to wonder if thats whats leaking down both sides on my truck. did you see it running down both sides of the heads? I thought initially it was my pedestal to block connection but after looking at my boots they leak and run down the intakes onto the rear of the block. Seems like alot of oil for CCV but I'm new to the diesel stuff.

Do the plenum inserts Riff Raff sells helf funnel the oil into the intake better?????

Not really. The inserts will allow you to be able to tighten the clamps more on the plenium boots.