New SoCal Member from the Imperial Valley

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Backdraft-14
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New SoCal Member from the Imperial Valley

Hello FTE Southern California Chapter.

I Live in the City of Imperial in the County of Imperial Valley, since this being the Southern CA Chapter I am pretty sure 99.9% of you already know if you have sand toys this s the place for you. (For my self I am not a dunner)

So then a little about me (but not to much lol)

My parents brought my sister and I to the Imperial Valley in 96' from Guam, yep military brat as some like to call us. Graduated High School and never left. At the time I was working (cover your eyes dunners) for the BLM as an EMT and under paid trash man pretty much. I went through the Imperial County Fire academy was with them for 9 months and was picked up by Federal Fire at the military base out here. I have been with them for 9 years and currently hold the rank of Engineer.

Now for my 01' F-250 she has been great to me, picked her up in 04', at the time she had just about 100K miles on the clock. Prior to joining this forum I did the normal scheduled maintenance and towed a 27' Wilderness 5th wheel. Wife and I traveled the Midwest for our honey moon in her. So for 8 years I had no idea what her potential could be. Having to replace the transmission after loosing overdrive and the torque converter as per john wood. That's about the only good part John Wood is 25 min away , and since I was using a "Bucks Zooka Cannon" taken from FTE member Tugly (hope thats ok) I decided to go ahead and do some of the other suggested modifications and so far I am loving it. Each mod is listed in my signature.

It took me about 3 months to get her back on the road. Following pretty much every thread no matter what it pertained to and at the time someone else was doing the same mods so I just sat in the back and learned. Within the short time of being a member I feel proud and very comfortable driving my truck. Before it was get in start up and go go go. Now if something goes array I can fix it and if it stumps me the FTE brother hood will be willing to walk me through it.

That about sums it up, tried not to make it a book but I can get kinda wordy at times apology in advance.

(Side note) Seen the thread of fire trucks and on Thursday when I get back to the station I will snap a few pictures for you guys.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:25 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the SoCal Chapter Backdraft

Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Big_Rob
Senior User
welcome, post some pics of your ride...

Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 PM
RagingBull2k2
Senior User
welcome... I actually grew up in Calexico, but now I'm san diego... good to see someone else from the "valley" on here, haha...

Joey

Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Welcome backdraft! Likely there are more than a few here that grew up in IV, but don't want to admit it. My folks moved there from Redondo Beach in '67 . That was a mistake - so close to Palm Springs, but not the same - same summers anyway. I grew up in EC until 1983 and had a fantastic youth there. I still remember the family driving out to Bombay beach and spending the day at the SSea. Cool as heck for a kid to walk out 1/4 mile and still be waste high water (had to wear tennies 'cause of all the broken shells). I bet it's waste high muck now .

Hmm, maybe I can still retire on salvation mtn...

Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:08 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Welcome backdraft.
Nice introduction.
x2 on the pics of your ride. Give 'em up.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Sounds like yours is a solid truck with mods done for reliability. As you already know, your truck was born to last forever.

Welcome to the Chapter! Are you going to make it in for the El Dorado Park chapter picnic/barbeque on April 14th?

Looking forward to meeting you there!

Pop

Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome! You and I will get along great. You said you were in San Diego. Did you test?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
Welcome to the asylum. As you probably already know this is THE place to be for Ford truck info. Glad to have you here, and enjoy your stay.

Jim

Old 03-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Backdraft-14
Senior User
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Welcome! You and I will get along great. You said you were in San Diego. Did you test?
No I wasn't testing, had to take mom to airport, if you ever want to know more on the Federal Fire system let me know.

Robert

Old 03-22-2012, 07:53 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Backdraft-14
No I wasn't testing, had to take mom to airport, if you ever want to know more on the Federal Fire system let me know.

Robert
We have a base here, but I thought I would have to enlist and risk not getting the fire gig and instead be handed an M16.

Not that I wouldnt do it, I'd just rather ride in a fire engine.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Backdraft-14
Senior User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Sounds like yours is a solid truck with mods done for reliability. As you already know, your truck was born to last forever.

Welcome to the Chapter! Are you going to make it in for the El Dorado Park chapter picnic/barbeque on April 14th?

Looking forward to meeting you there!

Pop

WOW. El Dorado is a 9 hr trip one way. I had to google it. I will probably have to miss this one. As for Chapter meets are their any closer to Southern CA?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:14 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You must have looked up the wrong El Dorado Park...shouldn't be more than about 3 1/2 hours from Imperial:

City of Long Beach, CA - El Dorado Regional Park

Still a long haul, but not quite as bad

Old 03-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Backdraft-14
Senior User
Ok 3 1/2 Hrs is easier to swallow than 9 hrs. Ya I looked up the one near San Francisco, I will be off shift tomorrow so the wife and I will discuss it then. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:13 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Whoa! That is SOME difference!

Here's hoping you and the wife can make it out!

Pop

Quick Reply: New SoCal Member from the Imperial Valley