5.4 OIL LEAK - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

5.4 OIL LEAK

Old 03-19-2012, 11:49 PM
timellis
Junior User
timellis is starting off with a positive reputation.
5.4 OIL LEAK

I bought a 2001 Superduty 5.4 yesterday. I was aware of the spark plug ejection system Ford offered, but didn't know about the oil leak at the head gasket. I saw/ smelled oil burning on the passengers exhaust. I fig'd it was a valve cover. I'm pretty sure it's the head gasket oil leak. The truck runs GREAT, 150,000 miles, passed pollution test EASILY. Looks like at least one post says the leak isn't a potential failure for the head gasket, but more of a annoyance, because of the smell? Is this correct, or does it lead to a blown head gasket. I see lots of guys have replaced the head gaskets, but if it is just smell, little smoke I'll deal with it another way. Whatcha think???

Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 AM
F250CCowner
Senior User
F250CCowner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would take this time to freshen up the top end and replace it. I would do the plugs, coil packs and boots and replace any necessary gaskets it needed. With that being done I wouldn't be surprised to see another 150K out of the engine.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
You're mostly correct----both heads leak oil but only the right passenger's side is visible to the eye---and nose in your case. There was an issue with that year heads and its not always a death knell for the engine.

I"m not sure but I believe a new head gasket corrects the problem--the head itself maybe needing re-surfaced but not replaced. Head gasket selection is important as I've heard since it needs to be one designed for this very problem. Sorry I can't be more specific but can't find the thread recommending a brand and type---its been within the last year IIRC.

FWIW the left driver's head is the same as the right side so it leaks behind the front cover and you never see it, also not a huge issue IF you check your oil level frequently.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 AM
timellis
Junior User
Thanks for the replys. Anyone out there whose truck has had the head oil weepage for lots of miles and not replaced the head gasket? I found the bulletin that says" e. Oil weepage is not considered
detrimental to engine performance or durability." http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...les/022207.pdf

Old 03-22-2012, 04:48 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by timellis View Post
Thanks for the replys. Anyone out there whose truck has had the head oil weepage for lots of miles and not replaced the head gasket? I found the bulletin that says" e. Oil weepage is not considered
detrimental to engine performance or durability." http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...les/022207.pdf
I have access to and drive a '99 E250 with the 5.4 motor, exact same condition as you describe. We've put a good 20K miles on it since discovering this issue--apart from watching oil level between changes its not that big a deal. In fact its extremely rare to find even one small drop of oil under the van after having driven it. Not sure if that's enough mileage to answer your question though.

We were quoted just about $1400 labor and parts to fix it---we're not cheap but it just doesn't seem a necessary repair at this time.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:35 AM
flyinghi3
New User
flyinghi3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have the same problem on my 99 5.4 E350 114k miles. on the back side of the passenger side head it has been leaking for who know how long( im the original owner). you can see this big caked on oil mess between the head and block. but it does not leak any oil down the block from it because it is so caked on. i was going to spray some Gunk engine cleaner on it, but i figure it stopping the leak. i only go through 1 quart of oil per 3k miles, but thats the way its been since day 1 with the truck.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:45 AM
timellis
Junior User
Yeah, if I had a caked on mess I wouldn't remove it, I'm sure it would just let the leak hit the exhaust and stink. Also good to know JWA has put on 20k+ since the leak began. Any others?

Old 04-03-2015, 11:05 AM
martinek
New User
martinek is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a nice big puddle under my 5.4 Expedition every day of oil. I have 2 expeditions, a 98 Eddie Bauer 4X4 and a 99 XLT. They both have nice sized puddles of oil under them everywhere we go. What, if any, is/are the common problems and places of origination of these leaks?

Old 04-03-2015, 12:25 PM
timellis
Junior User
From what I understand the 5.4 has oil leaks at the front of the driver's side head and the rear of the passenger side head. Mine was only a drip, but it drove me nuts because the rear leak dripped directly on my exhaust and you could always smell it.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:21 PM
finn
Elder User
finn has a good reputation on FTE.finn has a good reputation on FTE.
I picked up a 2003 Super Duty today to replace my Chevy plow truck. It's sort of rusty (it's a Yooper truck so that goes with the territory), but seems to run great and the price was right

The seller disclosed the head gasket leak. I plan on living with it. Looks like a big job to replace the gasket.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:50 AM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru
bayou barataria is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a 2008 f250 5-4 with 105k on it and it started showing oil leaking at the rear of both heads about 25k ago but has not gotten any worse and does not use oil between changes so I will leave it alone for now. Can't tell if it is valve covers or not.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Jessie Olson
New User
Jessie Olson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford f250 5.4 oil leak

I am just saying I have a 2008 Ford F-250 that is currently leaking oil it looks like it's coming down onto the oil pan and my front differential is covered in oil and I was wondering where it could be leaking I have not yet determined where it is as wondering if anyone knows anything they could help me figure out where it could be leaking the truck has little over 260 K miles on it.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:37 PM
lv2race
Posting Guru
lv2race is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lv2race is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would pressure wash all of the oil first, clean the area around the oil filter, then check the oil filter adapter gasket behind the oil filter.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:32 PM
martinek
New User
martinek is starting off with a positive reputation.
Most of the 5.4 Tritons begin to leak oil at the oil filter adapter plate. This is what the oil filter screws on to. The plate is bolted to the block and it's THAT gasket that begins to leak. Both of my Expeditions leaked there. My 99 XLT and my 98 Eddie Bauer 4X4. I've replaced them both and no more leaks. To my knowledge, this is the spot where all 5.4's begin leaking oil. On my XLT, I let it continue to leak and kept adding oil, (about a gallon a week), until the oil leaking was normal clean oil. Then I knew I had flushed out my entire oil system of sludge and nasty oil. Then I fixed the leak and did an oil change. Ahhh, no more leak and ahhh, nice clean engine internals.