6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

diagnosis needed, new heads, egr delete, ARP's just installed 500 miles ago

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diagnosis needed, new heads, egr delete, ARP's just installed 500 miles ago

I have a 2005 Excursion 6L PSD that was in a Ford dealership for 54 days getting a repaired for blown head gaskets. It was quite an ordeal working with the dealership and the warranty company.

I have now had the truck back for 500 miles and I am having some issues.

Here are the stats on the truck.
6L with 91,000 miles, recently had new heads(both were warped) ARP studs, new oil cooler, new ERG delete from RCD, it already had the upgraded STC fiting, and the truck has been running fine.

I installed a bi-pass coolant filter upon recommendation from the mechanic at the ford dealership. I saw the coolant passages before the mechanic cleaned them out and there was considerable buildup.
Coolant is always 192 degrees +/- 4 degrees when I run drive the truck and it is fully warmed up.

I can get the oil temp up to 235 degrees without pushing the truck too hard at all. Could their be something blocking the flow of oil to the new oil cooler?

I have read on here that I should run with my EGR plugged in to get more fan cooling so I removed the block off plate and reinstalled the EGR and plugged it in. The truck runs exactly the same.

I am monitoring using a SCT Livewire with the stock tune. I intended to load a tune on the truck this past weekend, but with these oil temps I have left the tune stock.

This morning I checked the oil and it was low 5 qts. I filled it with 5 qts of motorcraft 15w40 from the dealership and am currently driving it. It has not leaked a drop of oil, its not smoking, and it has not used any coolant.

ideas?

I am supposed to leave on a 1000 mile trip pulling a 8K TT in 5 days. Ugh

Old 03-19-2012, 01:19 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your sensor after a 12 hour cold soak to see if they're at or even near ambient temperature. If they are, it's possible that something in the cooling system got knocked loose...might be able to back flush the system and blow it out. Lost 5 quarts of oil? There's not that much in the HPOP system...so is your dealership not paying attention or was the dipstick not all the way in?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Originally Posted by zhilton
Check your sensor after a 12 hour cold soak to see if they're at or even near ambient temperature. If they are, it's possible that something in the cooling system got knocked loose...might be able to back flush the system and blow it out. Lost 5 quarts of oil? There's not that much in the HPOP system...so is your dealership not paying attention or was the dipstick not all the way in?

yes, both sensors return to within 1 degree of each other.

I did not check the oil when I picked it up from the dealership. I am confident I did correctly this morning as I checked it multiple times.

I was hoping the oil temp issue would correct with the addition of 5 qts, unfortunetely it didnt change a thing. thanks for the input!

Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Did they change the oil cooler? It sounds plugged up again. Or if they flushed after the new one was installed that can plug the new one. There is a possibility that your eot sensor is off.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Originally Posted by Unrealo4
Did they change the oil cooler? It sounds plugged up again. Or if they flushed after the new one was installed that can plug the new one. There is a possibility that your eot sensor is off.
Oil cooler is brand new. I left the dealership with the old oil cooler, egr cooler, and egr in a cardboard box.

The EOT tracks right with the ECT till they reach 192 (actually the EOT heats up a bit slower), then the EOT keeps climbing.

It does sound plugged up again. The mechanic that did the work gave me his personal cell number and I have shared all of this with him. I am waiting for him to call back and ask me to drop it back off. Vacation in 5 days, I am going to try real hard to stay a gentleman about this!

Could all of this be explained by a cracked piston ring, or something that the dealership and warranty inspector missed in their diagnosis of the truck? Why the heck was a missing 5 qts of oil? I am at a loss as the truck is running fine, not smelling, smoking, etc.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Ask him how much oil he thinks it takes. Sounds like he forgot a whole jug. Have you looked at your coolant bottle to see if it's creamy brown? Could also be a bad water pump/housing with insufficient flow. Was the delta bad before repairs?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Ask him how much oil he thinks it takes. Sounds like he forgot a whole jug. Have you looked at your coolant bottle to see if it's creamy brown?
He drives an 04 PSD and I know he knows, but mistakes happen.

I checked the coolant level this morning, but didnt get on a stool so I could see the color of it. I'll stick a paper towel in there and find out the color tonight. Thanks for the idea

When I checked the level this morning and shook the coolant bottle a bit I could see the level move around with no noticable film line staying on the bottle. Also when I spliced in the coolant filter a few 100 miles ago, I didnt notice the coolant was odd.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus
He drives an 04 PSD and I know he knows, but mistakes happen.

I checked the coolant level this morning, but didnt get on a stool so I could see the color of it. I'll stick a paper towel in there and find out the color tonight. Thanks for the idea

When I checked the level this morning and shook the coolant bottle a bit I could see the level move around with no noticable film line staying on the bottle. Also when I spliced in the coolant filter a few 100 miles ago, I didnt notice the coolant was odd.
You would notice the color immediately and 5 qts of oil would be puking out of the bottle anyway. It was just a thought.

New oil coolers do get stopped up. You might check the backflush procedure in the tech folder and give it to the tech. Your spread is definitely not acceptable. You might also try swapping the temp sensors. I believe they are identical. You might also try verifying the readings with a different instrument.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
There have been a few that flushed after the new oil cooler was installed only to plug that one up instantly. This sucks for sure, but its also a warrenty issue in my mind. Even the part warrenty should cover the work.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Some of these trucks that have a BIG Diffrence in EOT vs ECT that have a new oil cooler could be a Couple things here

1. the Guys mentioned already but again the new Oil cooler could be clogged

2. If Oil Cooler is good then it Starts pointing to a Coolant FLOW issue from BAD Water Pump or Cavitated Front Cover or Loose Belt/Bad belt Tensioner

Do you know why the HG Blew????? Bad EGR Cooler or??????????Stretched Bolts????????

Was the cooling system ever Flushed and if so was it B4 the new oil cooler or after????????????

Old 03-19-2012, 04:52 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 05 has a spread of 10 give or take and that is with a new oil cooler. Im ok with that unless it passes the 20 mark.

Now i've been told this so dont quote me:
"05 6.0s tend to have a greater spread EOT/ECT than the rest of the years"
^This is from a diesel tech

Now in your case something probably is plugged up

Old 03-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Some of these trucks that have a BIG Diffrence in EOT vs ECT that have a new oil cooler could be a Couple things here

1. the Guys mentioned already but again the new Oil cooler could be clogged

2. If Oil Cooler is good then it Starts pointing to a Coolant FLOW issue from BAD Water Pump or Cavitated Front Cover or Loose Belt/Bad belt Tensioner

Do you know why the HG Blew????? Bad EGR Cooler or??????????Stretched Bolts????????

Was the cooling system ever Flushed and if so was it B4 the new oil cooler or after????????????
I bought the truck used and after 400-500 miles it overheated on the way to the appointment at the dealer as the front and rear heat were not working. It was 1.5 gallons low on coolant.
I accused the dealership of seling me a truck with blown headgaskets and topping off the coolant. I talked with a lawyer and was going to go after the dealer for deceptive business practices. The dealer agreed to pay for everything my warranty didnt cover....now this after just 400 miles.

I have the egr cooler that was taken off the truck and it looks new. The waterpump was replaced prior to my purchase qccording to dealer records. Other than that I dont know what issues the previous owner had.

The cooling system was flushed 3-4 times before the new cooler according to the dealer that put the new cooler and heads on.

I'm guessing there is no chance my coolant filter that has been on for 200-300 miles can clean this up?

The coolant has never reached 200, and oil seems to top out at 235 on the interstate at 65mph.

And I just checked the coolant is clean with no oil mixed in.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Well it may have a New water pump but if the front Cover that houses the Water Pump is Cavitated then it still cant push the coolant like it should Makes me wonder why they changed the WP Before

It very well could be Cavitated being that it had HG problems B4 it was traded in by the previous owner Because it would have been Puking so if they were just adding water there would be cavitation depending how long they ran like that

I honestly would be surprised if the dealer really did flush it 3-4 times prior to changing the oil cooler. They make the same money if they flush1 time or 10 times As far as I know

IMO they still should have drove it after the work to verify the repair

Old 03-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Dropped the truck off at the dealer and emailed the mechanic the coolant flush link that is stickied here in the 6L forum.

It should be getting the reverse oil cooler flush tommorrow.

I also noticed the heat barely works now, when I picked it up after the oil cooler install the heat and a/c both worked excellent.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:10 AM
CAMPINGTOM
Senior User
Originally Posted by lakewood
Now i've been told this so dont quote me:
"05 6.0s tend to have a greater spread EOT/ECT than the rest of the years"
^This is from a diesel tech
Hey Lakewood, did our buddy John tell you this?

Since he did my delete about 2 years ago my temp spread has stayed around 6 degrees.

Quick Reply: diagnosis needed, new heads, egr delete, ARP's just installed 500 miles ago