3" drop I beams f100

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Huh????

Originally Posted by jowilker
Let's get back to Ford trucks! This not the Ol Geezers whining forum.

My, aren't we cordial tonight!!!!! The discussion WAS about Ford trucks... and how much or little time we have to work on them because of other issues. I guess related topics don't count, what's important is who's truck can haul two tons of gravel 500 miles?????? Maybe you should re read the posts and try some comprehension this time..... YOU originally went off topic with your rant about my truck not being able to haul gravel in a thread that concerned lowering a truck!!!! Rules are rules, right?

Last edited by Dave Severson; 01-02-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:13 AM
68murc
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still on the topic of lowering front ends... I have installed two sets of springs under the front of my truck. One set was stock, the second set had 1 loop cut of the top. Both times, the passenger side sits about 1" lower than the drivers side (it's noticeable when you look at the truck. I measured both sets of springs, and each pair was exactly the same length when standing on the work bench. I was going to cut another half loop from the drivers side to even it out, but I 'm not to keen on that. Also, can I shorten/ remove the bumpstops to get a little more travel? Thanks in advance from the frosty north.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Were these the stock springs that you cut???? Had the same issue using the stockers, one seems to be a higher rate then the other. Maybe some of these oem guys know why that would be. ?????

Old 01-03-2007, 06:10 PM
68murc
Elder User
Yeah, they were stock springs! My Merc originally came with a 6, so when I put in the 460, I swapped in a set of 3/4 ton coils from a wrecking yard truck. The front sure sat high then! The truck had that 'lean' that I mentioned. I figured it was cause the springs were old, and sagging. So, this past fall, I took another set of springs from a '79 F 150 that had a 460. The parts truck sat level, so I figured they were O.K. I took the new/ used springs and cut the top loop off, to bring the front end of the Merc down. After I put them in, I noticed the truck still had the same 'lean' What gives? And what about the bump stop question?

Old 01-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Not too difficult a task to retain the bump stop, and just move the mount bracket higher.....

Old 01-03-2007, 06:31 PM
68murc
Elder User
My bump stops are mounted directly to the underside of the frame rail, that's why I would need to trim them. I guess I could make some brackets to position them outside the frame.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 68murc
My bump stops are mounted directly to the underside of the frame rail, that's why I would need to trim them. I guess I could make some brackets to position them outside the frame.
Yup, that works best. A piece of 5/16" or 1/4" bent to an L shape and welded to the outside of the frame rail works great, doesn't hurt to gusset the open side of the L either....

Old 01-04-2007, 04:22 PM
OleRed04
Freshman User
does anyone know a web address for the fatman ifs? I have a 69' f-100 that I am going to start as soon as my shop is done.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:15 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OleRed; check into www.fatmanfab.com or www.hotrodsworldwide.com/catalogs/fat-man.htm

Dang it you guys lowering your twuks is starting to
look good to me, stop that.

You and Dave keep us posted.
Good lowering!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:36 AM
lucky no. 7
Senior User
when ya put in the dropped sprangs did yall run into interference with the rubber bumpstops?

Old 01-09-2007, 03:17 PM
custom cabby
Senior User
i had a similar problem when i flipped my axle, removed helper spring and put a mopar perch in to align. i got about 6'' drop but the passenger side is a ful 1.25'' shorter than the driver side. any idea? it pretty much evens out when i put my kiester in but i cant stand how it looks when i look at it from the out side. bought a new set of 6 cyl. springs and planning to cut a coil and putting some old style wheels and lower profile tires. anyone done similar cuz kinda would like an idea before hand.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:33 PM
4RANKIE
New User
Has Anyone Ever Done An Airbag System On A Twin I Beam. Ive Got Dropped Aim Beams. Not To Happy With The Way The Alignment Is. And It Doesnt Look Good By All The Talk. Is There Really No Way To Bend These Things. Has Anyone Ever Seen The A.r.r.o.g.a.n.t.f100 Slammed To The Ground On The Internet. He Is Showing Dropped Beams!! My 71 F100 Is 95 Percent Done. This Front End Is Really Messing With Head. When Done This Will Be A Harley Retro Street Rod

Old 01-09-2007, 09:07 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
I remember when I replaced the springs on the 69 F250 back in the 80's that there were two part numbers for left and right springs. To in stall them wrong allowed for app 1" sag left vs right, ask me. Corrected all was well.
To cut springs to get get your ride heigth is a gamble, I would run the scales like the ones stock cars use to get the proper pressure on each wheel to prevent a ill handling vehicle.
Far as air bags I see nothing wrong as long as the bags are protected from injury and the pressures are seperate to prevent body roll. JMO's be them little.

Last edited by "Beemer Nut"; 01-09-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:03 PM
68murc
Elder User
I'll try switching the springs side to side, to see if it makes a difference. As far as getting the I-beams aligned/bent, I went to the Ford Dealership. This dealership has been around since these trucks were new, and they still have all the old tools to align these trucks. I was lucky, one of the mechanics there still knows how to use the old equipment. I'll be taking it there as soon as I get this 'lean' figured out.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:58 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
To be dead on when you bend and align go in with full fuel and tools you drive with daily plus 200 pounds of weight to place on the drivers floor board simulating your butt in the seat. Have proper air pressure all 4 corners.
Tight kinkpins and tierod ends? Most good beam benders of the day are retired or dead by now.

Quick Reply: 3" drop I beams f100