3" drop I beams f100 - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

3" drop I beams f100

Old 06-23-2003, 08:20 PM
coacholy
New User
coacholy is starting off with a positive reputation.
3" drop I beams f100

Originally posted by CACWBY
OK here's the deal - I have done this with both, so I have the proof, and I respectfully disagree with Pat67Shorty. AIM (Based on their advertising, and the round type beams pictured in most DJM ads) did seem the better so I bought theirs. They are almost 1 1/2" longer than stock and the king pins fall through the bushings, with like .10 slop. This extra width might not be so bad if you are keeping stock drum brakes, I did not. The MP Disc brake conversion also adds about an I" so no way I could use the 8" wide rims. Oh, and the people at AIM were not the least bit interested in my problem, and insisted that they were same length as stock, and only way they would consider replacing if bushings were sloppy was I ship at my expense and then if they determined a flaw they would replace. So, having more money than brains (or so all the shops and parts house I've been making contributions to for past 1 1/2 years must think) I called the DJM folks. Very nice guy named Grant, took a lot of time to explain that they had tooling that measure exact same as stock, gave me the measurements with no prompting from me, which I checked against my stock axles (which I should have done on AIM). And if you go to their website you can see that the round beams in the ads ARE NOT the ones used for our years F100's! Those are for Rangers, and the ends on all theirs are solid. So I took the leap and ordered theirs. So I Have Bought and own both. The ones on my garage floor that I can't use are AIM, The ones on my truck, with Disc Brakes and 8" rims, and working great are DJM. But as happy as I am that I managed to make this work with the well made and good looking DJM, if I was doing again, I'd investigate the Fatman Fabrication IFS, because I beams suck for lowered trucks. Oh, and one other big help, I ditched the standard 2" lowered springs that I cut , for a set of 2" lower progressive rate ones. I'll see ya'all in Pigeon Forge.
Is there two different size king pins? The DJM beams are $100 motor than the AIM, Are they worth it?

Old 12-30-2006, 07:01 AM
4RANKIE
New User
4RANKIE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dropped Beams

I Am Going Through The Same Thing Right Now. I Bought Aim Beams. I Installed Them With Original Springs That I Had Cut Two Coils Out Of Before Installing The Aim Beams. When The Truck Was Finally Lowered Off The Hoist The Tires Were Slammed So Far Up That I Couldnt Turn The Tires. Bought A New Set Of Springs From Lmc. They Were Different Lengths. Called Lmc To Verify Why The Driver Side Was Taller. They Could Not Tell Me Why But Only That This Is How They Come. Both Tires Are Pitched Way Out, And The Driver Side Is Surely Too Tall. I Have 20in Harley Rims With A Disc Brake Conversion On The Front. Im Going To Try To Air Bag The Front. Any Suggestions??????.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:49 AM
instig8r63
Postmaster
instig8r63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.instig8r63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
IFS set ups are not strong enough for truck use, especially if you're running a 385 series engine. I would not recommend going IFS. I've heard too many stories of spring perch and ball joint failures for me to take that kind of chance.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:55 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
"Beemer Nut" has a good reputation on FTE."Beemer Nut" has a good reputation on FTE."Beemer Nut" has a good reputation on FTE.
On the 67-69 trucks they have a short top spring perch with a short spring, later trucks had a taller perch with longer springs.
I know as the dealer ordered the taller spring with no return until they saw the 69 F250 with frontend 2 1/2" too high and camber way off.

With that said why not use the taller perches with early short springs without cutting coils causing a harsh ride?
If needed why not cut and extend the preches from a donor.
With a aircraft background I would make custom beams out of 4130 tube and flat stock.

Last edited by "Beemer Nut"; 12-30-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Dave Severson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by instig8r63
IFS set ups are not strong enough for truck use, especially if you're running a 385 series engine. I would not recommend going IFS. I've heard too many stories of spring perch and ball joint failures for me to take that kind of chance.
I've installed 4 IFS set ups on the bumpside trucks... I only use the tubular upper and lower control arms with QA-1 Coilovers... No problems yet on any of them. The first bumpside I did now has 30.000 + miles on it, still rides and drives just like the day it came out of the shop. Most of the failures, if not all, on IFS set ups are because folks want to "save money" and use the stamped steel factory arms and 25 year old ball joints and tie rod ends instead of spending a few bucks on quality components. As with most things, you get what you pay for. After reading the dropped I-beams posts here and on other forums, I believe I still prefer the MII suspension.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:49 AM
71fordkid
Senior User
71fordkid is starting off with a positive reputation.
does anyone know what years have i-beams?

Old 12-31-2006, 04:11 AM
jowilker
Post Fiend
jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
kid, The Twin I-beam was first introduced in 1965. That setup remained basically unchanged until 1980 when the steering gear box was moved from behind to infront of the axles. That setup was used until 1997 when the twins were dropped.

I hope that was the answer that you were looking for.

Originally Posted by Dave Severson
I've installed 4 IFS set ups on the bumpside trucks... I only use the tubular upper and lower control arms with QA-1 Coilovers... No problems yet on any of them. The first bumpside I did now has 30.000 + miles on it, still rides and drives just like the day it came out of the shop. Most of the failures, if not all, on IFS set ups are because folks want to "save money" and use the stamped steel factory arms and 25 year old ball joints and tie rod ends instead of spending a few bucks on quality components. As with most things, you get what you pay for. After reading the dropped I-beams posts here and on other forums, I believe I still prefer the MII suspension.
Dave, I agree with instig8r63. He stated that "FS set ups are not strong enough for truck use, especially if you're running a 385 series engine." meaning that most of the slamed trucks no longer can function as trucks but become "rides". Can your truck haul 2 tons of gravel 500 miles, or one ton for that matter?

John

Old 12-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jowilker

Dave, I agree with instig8r63. He stated that "FS set ups are not strong enough for truck use, especially if you're running a 385 series engine." meaning that most of the slamed trucks no longer can function as trucks but become "rides". Can your truck haul 2 tons of gravel 500 miles, or one ton for that matter?

John
Sure, I could put a couple tons of gravel on the trailer and pull it anywhere.... Sorry I didn't specify that this was a Hot Rod or Kewl Truck mod, and not a farm truck option.

Really, how many of these old trucks are still used as trucks??? Yours and a few others for sure. I would venture a guess that the majority of trucks discussed on this forum have long since ended their days as a "work truck" and have become a project for the owner to modify and restify to his own personal taste....

For that matter, why would I want to haul 2 tons of gravel in a pickup??? Then unload it with a shovel when I get 500 miles away??? I don't see where that is even a reasonable test for a pickup. Heck, around here I can get Hilde's gravel to deliver it with their truck that is made for hauling gravel and has a hoist under the box to dump it....

IMO, the restification of these old trucks into a comfortable driving, well optioned ride with updated suspension, brakes, power train, and a double throw down way kewl paint job is as much a "good truck" as one with a dented up and bent box floor and sides from hauling gravel in them....

The original post in this thread concerned lowering a truck, which to me would indicate the writer's primary concern is NOT how much he can increase his payload, but rather his concern was modifying his truck to make it, IN HIS OPINION, more aesthetically pleasing.....

I guess it's just another case of different strokes for different folks. If I want a work truck, and I had many of them over the years, then I'd just go lease a new F-350 and write off the payments as operating expense as I did for many years when I needed a work truck.....

Nowadays I have a Toter and enclosed trailer to haul toys in, a nice street rod to play with on Sunday afternoon, and a soon to be completed nice '71 Ford bumpside to cruise in when the weather is nice.... The closest thing I have or want to a "working truck" as a Bronco 4 wheel drive that is a parts chaser and occasionally pulls an 8 foot utility trailer to haul whatever it is I have that needs hauling and doesn't warrant dragging out the toter and big trailer.

I won't apologize for using my pickup for something other then it's intended purpose in your opinion, nor will I cease to chop, drop, slam, section, shave, and otherwise modify these wonderful old Ford Pickups to suit my taste and my intended purpose for them..

Last edited by jowilker; 12-31-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:49 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
"Beemer Nut" has a good reputation on FTE."Beemer Nut" has a good reputation on FTE."Beemer Nut" has a good reputation on FTE.
Dave, you have too many toys i'm jealous.
Post pictures of the 71 when your done, sounds
like a great project.
For years the 69 and now a 68 truck are daily drivers
hauling materials, motorcycles besides aluminum pontoon
boats from S.F. bay area to Shasta lake the last 800K
miles. No shine and show queen a working truck.
Hats off if to you having the space and time for a retired
truck, some day i'll do the same.

Last edited by "Beemer Nut"; 12-31-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Thanks Beemer. Got the paint on the interior yesterday so I should be able to cut and buff it later today. I'll get some pics when I get it all shiny and put together and update my gallery. I figure the least these old bumpsides deserve after a hard life's work is a re-do as a nice shiny cruiser..... I have another bumpside, and a newer extended cab, not sure which I will be starting on when this one is finished.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:16 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
So many toys with short hours time to work on them.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beemer Nut
So many toys with short hours time to work on them.
Well, these long, cold South Dakota winters have to be good for something!!! Put in a few more hours on mine today, and helped a buddy for a couple hours on his "brand X" truck. I never can put in a full 8 hour day due to health considerations, but a few hours here and there I can accomplish a little every day. Just takes a lot of patience to get much done is all.... But, as my old pal Dean sez, "getting old ain't for sissies".....

Old 01-01-2007, 03:58 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Man this is getting bad, you have health problems your two years
older than me, Russ has a bad back, he's two years younger and now my old
back injuries plus new ones are catching up with me. I'm looking early out disability. I know the feeling when you can't bust butt a full 8 hours and employers dump you like a turd, that has happened to me many times last year. Best part is some punk snot nosed kid busting butt to show up the older workers, their day will come with body and back pain.
On pain pills, no drinkie and it's new years, now that sucks.

Last edited by "Beemer Nut"; 01-01-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beemer Nut
Man this is getting bad, you have health problems your two years
older than me, Russ has a bad back, he's two years younger and now my old
back injuries plus new ones are catching up with me. I'm looking early out disability. I know the feeling when you can't bust butt a full 8 hours and employers dump you like a turd, that has happened to me many times last year. Best part is some punk snot nosed kid busting butt to show up the older workers, their day will come with body and back pain.
On pain pills, no drinkie and it's new years, now that sucks.
LOL, know what ya mean, Beemer. Nobody in their right mind would want me on their workmen's comp insurance, let alone company provided health insurance....
I'm very fortunate to have a "full coverage life time warranty" from the VA, medical bills alone would have had me living in a cardboard box (if still living at all) years ago!!!!! Just gets down to the old thing of playing the cards your dealt and knowing what your limitations are.....

Old 01-02-2007, 08:27 AM
jowilker
Post Fiend
jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
Let's get back to Ford trucks! This not the Ol Geezers whining forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3" drop I beams f100

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.