351w stroker motor wquestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:53 PM
1990f150kid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 351w stroker motor wquestions

ok guy i have a 1990 f150 with a 351w in it and i come from a family of gear heads so i lover performance and i want better mpgs outa my truck and the fun of building it up with my own two hands. im 17 and this is my first truck, got it for $700 and the truck is in perfect shape with no rust and everything works, the guy had to remove the intake manifold to replace a gasket and couldnt put it back together, i got it and put it all back together by myself with no instructions or help, and its all on correctly,and not to mention i have to pay for everything myself and i will do all work myself or have my grandpa help me who is a MASTER mechanic, i was wondering mostly about the 427 stroker, i heard you have to grind alittle bit of the block to get this to fit? if so would a 408 stroker and a 393 stroker need this too and if so how much? i want a torque motor with near 460 bbf specs kinda deal, i will use better heads, i want to use gt40 or gt40p heads, which is better for a stroker and what else would i have to do to fit the stroker? i will do a valve job too because i have them already, i will have a high flow intake on it along with headers into true duals. i have an e4od tranny that needs to be rebuilt and will have it set up to handle the extra power, my truck is efi so the fun part is what cams do you think i will need? and i will get the 1.7 roller rocks too. the motor is 10,000 miles old so no worries everything good, will i also have to get another oil pan to fit it? and i wil have it set up for 93 octane fuel because thats all i will use in it along with 10w40 motor oil and such. my goal is atleast 300hp and 400 lb-ft by the end of this, and more will never hurt, im after gas milage and tourqe mostly but more hp when i can get it is good too

and one day it will get a lift and tires too and thats why i want the high torque numbers to turn them easy, and i will have the correct axle ratios so i will be good, just want a sick first truck i can enjoy driving and showing off

Old 03-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
plan on having the motor stripped down and checked and clearanced at a machine shop this way the correct kit can be ordered. the stock efi system on your year truck doesnt play to nicely with a huge increase in displacement or radicle cam changes/upgrade. not to mention a build like this will generally require larger injectors as well as other goodies. figure a minimum of a $3k build cost and thats you doing engine tear down and reinstall yourself. the efi system upgrades can run anywhere from $200-1500 depending on what tranny you have. research this topic a bit more and i think you will find many of your answers already beaten by others that have traveled this path.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:39 PM
1990f150kid
Senior User
ive got the efi under control, i know what i need there, and injectors are a must, and my grandpa will help me and for the past 50 years hes been doing this to engines so im good, and he has the stuff and the knowledge so i dont need a machine shop because he has one in his backyard lol i know i will need an upgrade intake to help the massive air intake requirements and i know all the parts i need there, but i found some heads that they use in nascar and was wondering if they would be better than gt40 heads? these heads have decently bigger ports and i know with a stroker more air flow is extremely helpful, but i need low end grunt so im not too worried about top end stuff, basically i need a high performance towing motor so i can get better mpgs and tow my mud truck, ast this point i have the heads question and the stroker clearance issues

Old 03-18-2012, 10:43 AM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Hey, 1990f150kid.
Your posts are kind of hard to read with no punctuation or capitalization. A lot of us guys your dads age, with decades of experience ignore these posts because they don't want to take time to decipher them.

Now with that being said, I just built a 408 stroker. You need to clearance the block at the bottom of the cylinder to make sure the rod bolts don't hit the cylinder skirt. Also, the Speed Density computer doesn't like significant changes so a MAF conversion will probably be needed. Or you can switch it to a carburetor. The selection of cam and heads will be critical to meeting your hp and torque targets. Good luck.

And don't forget - use punctuation and capitalization.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 PM
1990f150kid
Senior User
im typing so fat the capitalization isnt big to me and im bad at punctuation i know but i will give it alittle more effort. but ok so you need to do alittle shaving to fit a 408? would you think it would require a good deal more to fit a 427? and i have been trying to find out if my truck is mass air or speed density, ive heard conflicting ideas but what would i need to do to make it MAF? My cams will decided after i figure out which heads im going to get but i will ask the experts on the cams. And as much of a serious pain the fuel injection is and the cost, i dont want to put a carb on it because of that slight decrease in efficiency

Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 963 Likes on 762 Posts
This series of trucks didn't get MAF until 1995 for the most part so there is virtually no chance yours has it. Better milage with your truck will involve adding an overdrive transmission.. it likely has a C6 now, and adding some mild mods(cam and longtubes) to the stock 5.8EFI. With those things it is possible to see high teens from this powertrain when cruising and city driving should remain around 12-13. A stroker motor will not get better milage, it will make a ton more power but that requires a ton more gas so improved milage isn't likely.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 PM
1990f150kid
Senior User
i have the e4od trans which needs a rebuild soonish, starting to shift hard into gear, so i will take care of that for more power wen i rebuild it, but yeah longtubeheaders are gettin put on after i get new power window motors lol i want to get more power out of it and i know a stroker will kill it but its about a year away atleast and by then i would be towing stuff so it would help, im thinking i will go with the 408 cause ive heard about the hassles of the 427, and im going to get some good heads and cams for sure, and tune the computer so high teens is very possible, then comes the lift and tires, thenstroker motor if plan goes along without a hitch

Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 1990f150kid
ok guy i have a 1990 f150 with a 351w in it and i come from a family of gear heads so i lover performance and i want better mpgs outa my truck and the fun of building it up with my own two hands. im 17 and this is my first truck, got it for $700 and the truck is in perfect shape with no rust and everything works, the guy had to remove the intake manifold to replace a gasket and couldnt put it back together, i got it and put it all back together by myself with no instructions or help, and its all on correctly,and not to mention i have to pay for everything myself and i will do all work myself or have my grandpa help me who is a MASTER mechanic, i was wondering mostly about the 427 stroker, i heard you have to grind alittle bit of the block to get this to fit? if so would a 408 stroker and a 393 stroker need this too and if so how much? i want a torque motor with near 460 bbf specs kinda deal, i will use better heads, i want to use gt40 or gt40p heads, which is better for a stroker and what else would i have to do to fit the stroker? i will do a valve job too because i have them already, i will have a high flow intake on it along with headers into true duals. i have an e4od tranny that needs to be rebuilt and will have it set up to handle the extra power, my truck is efi so the fun part is what cams do you think i will need? and i will get the 1.7 roller rocks too. the motor is 10,000 miles old so no worries everything good, will i also have to get another oil pan to fit it? and i wil have it set up for 93 octane fuel because thats all i will use in it along with 10w40 motor oil and such. my goal is atleast 300hp and 400 lb-ft by the end of this, and more will never hurt, im after gas milage and tourqe mostly but more hp when i can get it is good too

and one day it will get a lift and tires too and thats why i want the high torque numbers to turn them easy, and i will have the correct axle ratios so i will be good, just want a sick first truck i can enjoy driving and showing off
I know someone's already brought this up, and you may not want to hear this, but trying to read thru your posts is like listening to someone who talks non-stop all the time and does not stop to "take a breath". You do not use punctuation properly, or you don't capitalize your letters when you should. And you should also check your spelling. It's hard to get your point across when the reader has to stop to try and comprehend what your point is due to all the mistakes. Now, all that aside, you really don't need a stroker kit to attain your HP/Torque goals, a well built 351 with GT40 heads will do this. And it should do it on 87-89 octane fuel.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 PM
1990f150kid
Senior User
hey if i can attain that kinda power with that simple stuff then woo hoo, but more never hurts. and yes it was brought up and i do tend to talk without a breathe really fast because i think lot faster than i can talk. im working on it alittle here and there. not to mention my key board sucks and i mess up to works alot cause the keys dont always want to work. but i do want a stroker motor because like ive said this will become a big toy for me and then a mud truck so power is fun, not to mention i want to blow my friends truck out of the water

Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Sounds like you have it all figured out then, good luck.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 PM
1990f150kid
Senior User
yeah i guess so. all i need is the money lol good thing im great at saving and getting good deals, most likely i will get all the parts and put them all on at once itstead of soon as i get the part. headers will be first, then cams and heads along with intake tuning, then comes lift and tires i guess