Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM
carrzkiss
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 Ford Ranger Fuel Pump

Hello All;

I have a 1983 Ford Ranger.
It has a 1993 Engine and 1997 Transmission.

The issues that I have right now, that I am in the process of fixing is.

Fuel Tank Float (It no longer works)
And possibly the replacing of the Fuel Pump.

Question.
#1 Gas Float (I cannot seem to find out any information on the purchase of this item, could someone provide a link please)

#2 Is the Fuel Pump located inside of the gas tank of a 1983 Ranger?
&
#3 When everything works, when I turn the ignition, you can hear the fuel pump turn on, however, it is no longer doing that.
So, would this be a bad fuel pump?

Thank you all
Wayne

Last edited by carrzkiss; 03-15-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added in more information
Old 03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't help you on the sending unit - unless maybe try Ebay or a salvage yard...

For the pump, from what you described, it sounds like it's bad...

Try this site to see if you can find what you need:

RockAuto Auto Parts

Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 PM
carrzkiss
Junior User
Thanks for the info, it is going to cost $50.00+ to get a new sending unit.
Also.
Could you please let me know where the Fuel Pump is located at?

Old 03-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
An 83 ranger would have used a mechanical pump on the side of the engine. The newer rangers, like your engine/trans came from, used an electric pump, inside the fuel tank, as they were EFI.
Where your pump is, would be anyone's guess, since you have such a conglomeration of different year pieces.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:33 PM
carrzkiss
Junior User
OK, that is an issue than.
The motor is a 95 4.0
And the tank stayed the same, as the newer tank would not fit under the truck.

I found the filter, which is midway to the tank.
I will just have to do some checking, this is starting to be a pain.
Would be better if it was on concrete, instead of grass.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Rangerman Stan
Elder User
Carrzkiss, since you said you used to hear the pump run, did the noise seem to come from back by the tank or some where else? You might also check for a blown fuse for the pump. If the pump noise was around the tank, then it's probably either in the tank or above it, maybe on a frame rail that's close to the tank. (some after market thing) Since you found the filter, follow the fuel line from the filter all the way to the engine and back to the tank to make sure the pump is or isn't there. Before you take the bed off you could use an inspection mirror to see the top of the tank and around that area for the pump. If you need to get into the tank or to the top of it, it's been my experience that taking the bed off is easier and you have better access with it right in front of you. The Torx bolts for the bed are #55. Once you get to the top of the tank, check that the plug for the sender is seated and that the wires are in good condition. You could wiggle the plug to see if it makes the fuel gauge work, and maybe the pump too if it's in the tank. If you find the pump you can check the power wire for having 12 volts with the switch on. There's more to it but this will get you started. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:33 AM
carrzkiss
Junior User
Thank you for the information Stan.
What I have done so far, prior to coming to the forum.

#1:
I dropped the tank, but not all the way down.
I do not see no pump nowhere around the tank.

#2:
The bed, I removed all but one hex bolt, as it has a broken nut,
I am trying to find a way to remove the bolt, but the thing is rusted
And there is no more groves left on the bolt head for the tool to seat in.

#3:
To answer your question on where the noise was heard from, I honestly could
not tell you.
I "think" that it might have been right sort of in front, which would make
Me think that it is under the hood, however, I cannot find it.
If I knew what it looked like, then I would be able to search for it.

#4:
I traced the fuel line from the filter, and will have to go back out there and look again with fresh eyes, and see if I can actually trace it down this time.

#5:
What fuses would I need to check?
There is a relay fuse, and it seems to be working, as I followed a step that I found online, and it made the noises that they said it would make, so the Fuel Relay works.

Thanks once again guys.
Wayne

Old 03-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Bill Carpenter
New User
Fuel System Ranger

I have an original 1986 Ranger with dual tanks, a 2.9 Liter V-6, and fuel injection. I restored this truck top-to-bottom a couple of years ago. If your truck is set up like mine, you will have a low-pressure pump inside the tank and a high-pressure pump between the tank and the engine, probably mounted inside the left frame rail just below the driver's door. I cannot hear the low-pressure pump, but I can hear the high-pressure pump kick on for a few seconds as soon as the ignition is turned on. My fuel system has three pumps - low-pressure pumps inside both tanks, and a high-pressure pump inline. I have found that this dual tank system is pretty rare, although I have the original documentation proving it was actually a factory system. I would think the single-tank system has two pumps as described. By the way, it is much easier to simply unbolt the bed and lift it up a bit until you can get to the tank, than drop the tank down. Don't forget to block it for safety. I would check the electrical connections to the pump first before tearing it apart; I had two problems with mine - the connector at the high-press pump, and the inertia switch, which is found just below the glove box inside the cab on the passenger side firewall. It is actually just under the forward limit of the carpet. The outboard pump I found at Auto Zone, the switch was still in stock at my local Ford dealer, and you can get the original Ford-branded internal pump(s) at Green Sales. Hope this helps. - Bill

Old 03-16-2012, 11:40 AM
carrzkiss
Junior User
Thanks Bill

The High Pressure pump, that you state is under the driver door.
I found, what looks to be a fuel filter canister there.
That is all that I could find in that area.

I checked the wires under the glove box, and am unsure what to look for there.

I have been trying to hunt for an inline pump, but have been unsuccessful in that search.
I am going to put my 2 heavy truck jacks under the front of the truck and raise it up, and see if I can get a better look, and see if I can actually trace down the fuel lines and see where everything goes.

Thanks everyone for your information.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It sounds to me like you will need to wire in an inline electric fuel pump. You will need a high pressure type, the regulator on your fuel rail should maintain the pressure at the proper level. Walbro makes pumps suitable for this use. Something in the ballpark of 160 lph flow rating should do nicely. 255 lph is too much flow and might work, but could also jam the FPR open. You will need a relay to run the power from the battery to the pump, and the relay is trigged on by the computer.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 PM
carrzkiss
Junior User
Thanks Khan
However, that still leaves me in the dark as to where the existing pump is located at.
It has to come out in order for me to do anything.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Bill Carpenter
New User
Ranger

From the fuel filter, which in my truck is a round unit about 4" diameter, with a base that unscrews exposing a round paper filter (might be a good time to replace that) go forward following the gas line until you come to a plate. The line will go under this plate and you'll probably lose sight of it. Underneath that plate nestled inside the "C" channel of the frame is the high-pressure pump. Unbolt the plate and you'll see it; it's shaped like a long cylinder, horizontally mounted and the fuel line passes right through it. Wires will be connected to it. Doesn't look much like a standard fuel pump.

The tank unit contains the pump, intake, intake screen, and float all in one. That's easy.

Bill

Old 03-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Bill Carpenter
New User
Ranger #2

I forgot a word of caution: be sure you depressurize the fuel system before you remove the pump, lines, or even change the filter. To do this, unplug the inertia switch and then start the truck. Run it until it quits. Or, if it won't start, just unplug it and crank it over for a few seconds. Then carefully release the pressure. A good way to release the pressure safely is by depressing the schrader valve on top of the fuel rail (left side of engine, on the top, near the intake horn). This is critical, since the fuel is normally at a pretty high pressure, and if you don't disengage the pump first, it will shoot all over and keep going until the fire starts, after dousing you with gas and blinding you. Keep a camera handy with a good photographer to record your last moments alive for U-Tube if you don't. Remember, the inertia switch is on the passenger side, just at the junction between the very front of the floor board and at the base of the firewall. It is a small black square about an inch or so in size, with two wires attached. Unclip the wires and it will be off. To reset it afterwards, re-plug the wires and push the little square button to reset. The whole purpose of this little gadget is to shut off the fuel in case of a collision so you don't burn to death, so don't ever bypass this!!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM
carrzkiss
Junior User
Thanks Bill.
I cannot crank the truck period.
So I will follow the rest of the information.
I am going out there now, to jack up the front, and will post back my findings.

I will also look for the little black box.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Rangerman Stan
Elder User
Carrzkiss, since you say that one of the original pumps is still there, it's possible that it is being used as the main pump for your truck. Look in your owners manual for the location of the fuel pump fuse. There should be a page or two that has a picture of the fuse block with fuse locations. If you don't have a manual, you can find one on line to see the reference.

Quick Reply: 1983 Ford Ranger Fuel Pump