Looking at another truck, but how much is it worth? - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Looking at another truck, but how much is it worth?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:48 AM
4601ton
Senior User
4601ton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice! Congrats bud!!!!!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:11 PM
terryknight
Senior User
terryknight has a great reputation on FTE.terryknight has a great reputation on FTE.terryknight has a great reputation on FTE.terryknight has a great reputation on FTE.terryknight has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Nice! Although I did chuckle at the 16.5" rims. Once you start shopping for tires that fit it, you'll have a better understanding as to why he may have 'given' them to you.....
they are uncommon, but it can still be done. i do know what you are saying and it's why i brought brand new rims when i went rim shopping. even though there was a great deal on a set of 16.5 locally

Old 03-21-2012, 12:41 PM
ghanson
Elder User
ghanson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ghanson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I know 16.5's are hard to get tires for but it doesn't matter to me since I'm jusy getting rid of them.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:27 PM
zombiekiller
Senior User
zombiekiller is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wow, nice truck. I am actually in the market for one just like that. Still not sure though if I want gas or diesel. Nice Find!

Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 PM
burnout400m
Posting Guru
burnout400m is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
Wow, nice truck. I am actually in the market for one just like that. Still not sure though if I want gas or diesel. Nice Find!
Well you WANT a diesel. It's whether or not you want to PAY for one...I ended up with a 460 myself. Didn't think I'd be driving it as much as I do.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:51 PM
zombiekiller
Senior User
Originally Posted by burnout400m View Post
Well you WANT a diesel. It's whether or not you want to PAY for one...I ended up with a 460 myself. Didn't think I'd be driving it as much as I do.
Are the diesels a lot more to have serviced? The gas is more, but I was told they get better gas mileage. I don't have have anything to tow yet, and it would be more of an "around town" kinda truck. If I don't get a diesel, I would want a 460 though.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:28 PM
terryknight
Senior User
terryknight has a great reputation on FTE.terryknight has a great reputation on FTE.terryknight has a great reputation on FTE.terryknight has a great reputation on FTE.terryknight has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by burnout400m View Post
so true

Originally Posted by zombiekiller View Post
Are the diesels a lot more to have serviced? The gas is more, but I was told they get better gas mileage. I don't have have anything to tow yet, and it would be more of an "around town" kinda truck. If I don't get a diesel, I would want a 460 though.
460 used to be gas hogs, but the last one i drove was an 85 or 86, maybe they are better now. I love my diesels and would never get anything but. i feel that they are a little more to maintain, but i can get in the low 20s for MPGs so that offsets it a little bit, but then again diesel fuel is about 30 cents a gallon more around here, so maybe not. I also tow all the time and like the diesel for that.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 PM
zombiekiller
Senior User
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post
so true

460 used to be gas hogs, but the last one i drove was an 85 or 86, maybe they are better now. I love my diesels and would never get anything but. i feel that they are a little more to maintain, but i can get in the low 20s for MPGs so that offsets it a little bit, but then again diesel fuel is about 30 cents a gallon more around here, so maybe not. I also tow all the time and like the diesel for that.
Yah the gas here in phoenix is about 30 cents more as well. I also heard that you can get like 300,000 miles plus out of a maintained diesel engine. Is that true? Do they have more life than a gas? I know most of the gas engines I have seen, right around 200k plus, its need for a rebuild, or something newer.

Thanks for the advice.

Matt

Old 03-21-2012, 06:12 PM
terryknight
Senior User
my knowledge is mostly about Powerstrokes. I have 156K on one of mine 254K on the other. I know people with over 440K on theirs (all powerstokes) I have heard of but you seen nor can i verify of much higher numbers 700+K. I also work with a guy who has over 250K on his 302. I believe that with proper maintenance that most engines will last a long time.

Diesels are built a little more heavy duty (they are used in the medium duty trucks called T444Es) and are designed to be worked harder than gassers. However, I feel that that is changing and gassers are getting up there in mileage. Ask around here and see what people are getting out of their 460s before they need to rebuild something

Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
zombiekiller
Senior User
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post
my knowledge is mostly about Powerstrokes. I have 156K on one of mine 254K on the other. I know people with over 440K on theirs (all powerstokes) I have heard of but you seen nor can i verify of much higher numbers 700+K. I also work with a guy who has over 250K on his 302. I believe that with proper maintenance that most engines will last a long time.

Diesels are built a little more heavy duty (they are used in the medium duty trucks called T444Es) and are designed to be worked harder than gassers. However, I feel that that is changing and gassers are getting up there in mileage. Ask around here and see what people are getting out of their 460s before they need to rebuild something

Makes sense. I guess whatever engine you have,if it is properly maintained, it will last a while. Maybe I will stat a new thread and ask and see what people are getting out of their 460s.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:27 PM
sdj
New User
sdj is starting off with a positive reputation.
When gas prices drop (if they do) diesel will always stay high. Unless you drive a lot, the savings on MPG will not pencil out for the difference in cost.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 PM
terryknight
Senior User
Towing all the time is where it will pay off

Old 03-22-2012, 02:49 AM
ghanson
Elder User
ghanson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ghanson is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Well, the gas vs. diesel debate is a heated one, but I will always love the diesel. Diesel's are way more expensive when you're first buying them but the fuel savings means I end up paying significantly less for fuel compared to my gasser. And that is referring to the 5.8L parked behing the new truck! The 5.8 got 13-14 in city and hwy. I drive responsibly and cruise at 65 on the fwy. The diesel, even in the city, gets better mileage despite having a bigger cab, being 4x4, and having larger rims and tires. Also, a diesel will blow the doors off any gasser.

As for the 460, it is a strong motor but doesn't have the torque of the diesel, and my buddy who has a 95 EFI 460 can't get past 10 mpg no matter what he does. That just isn't worth it to me. I like that my diesel has twice the mileage on the freeway which means I drive twice as far on each tank. This will make the road trip I have planned much easier on the wallet! Oh, and these diesels don't get smogged!!!!! California smogs diesels 98 and newer so that's even more money I save over the gasser.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:22 AM
burnout400m
Posting Guru
burnout400m is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ghanson View Post
Also, a diesel will blow the doors off any gasser.
well a powerstroke will beat most gas motors but even the '93-94 turbo-diesels had less power than the 460, though only just a tiny bit and I forget at what RPM so the turbo-diesel would probably still outpull or at least equal a 460. before the turbos a 460 was the motor for outright power but the diesel would always get better MPG. Also the V10 in the super duty redlines around 7000 rpm so with a few minor HP upgrades to match the PSD numbers the V10 has RPMs to spare which means they can pull away when the powerstroke tops out. And gas engines tend to have better throttle response. Once I was at a stoplight in my '84 blazer with a 220HP 350 crate engine/700r4 trans next to my buddy's duramax and I left him in the dust but he caught up pretty quick and blew me away. But still the diesel is king because there is more bolt-on potential for extra power and you can still get decent MPG while the gas needs more serious going through and it'll usually get worse mileage and a shorter life while the oil-burner doesn't take much of a hit in either. The throttle response can be improved with a full exhaust system to reduce turbo lag and will probably get you the mast gains for the money spent.

Basically the gas vs diesel debate comes down to use. If you pull and haul a lot the diesel is usually worth the extra expense, especially if you'll be keeping it for a long time. If it's not a rig that gets used every day then probably a cheaper gas engine is the way to go.

Beautiful truck BTW

Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 AM
ghanson
Elder User
You make good points Burnout, those old IDI's were build to be efficient rather than powerful (though they were pretty potent for their time). As for off the line performance, if you power break a diesel and let the turbo spool up it'll take a gasser off the line. Case in point; my 6.0L took a GT mustang from a stop on a freeway onramp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at another truck, but how much is it worth?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.