4.6 liter install in 53-56 F100 anyone do it? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

4.6 liter install in 53-56 F100 anyone do it?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by 55 f350 View Post
or do that swap to a carb and distributor that i mentioned so many moons ago from jailbait choppers and rods or something like that . i think they were wanting 1500-2000 and by the time you get done playing with wiring harnesses and ecu's and tuners , etc. you'll have that in it anyway .....................
but I didn't want to re-invent a carbed engine..

Old 03-16-2012, 06:51 PM
rzns60
Senior User
rzns60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am putting a 2011 FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0L COYOTE ENGINE AND GETRAG MT82 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION in my 1956. The motor will be here next week and I will be documenting all the fun issues I run into.

Attached Images  

Last edited by rzns60; 03-16-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 03-17-2012, 12:48 AM
BACAGrizz
Posting Guru
BACAGrizz has a good reputation on FTE.BACAGrizz has a good reputation on FTE.
OK rzns, now I am jealous!!

Old 03-17-2012, 02:04 AM
TomKo
Freshman User
TomKo is starting off with a positive reputation.
That' s pretty close to truck ****.
Originally Posted by rzns60 View Post
I am putting a 2011 FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0L COYOTE ENGINE AND GETRAG MT82 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION in my 1956. The motor will be here next week and I will be documenting all the fun issues I run into.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 AM
TomKo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
ford makes this reflash harder than others..

so you have to either my an add on board
or one of the programmers, and have it programmed with a custom load.

On my 5.3l GM, it was $75 to send the ecu, programmed and postage back.
on the 4.6l its $150 (used) programmer (SCT X3 ), $100 programming service(cheap), and I haven't even wired up the engine yet.

DetailZone will reprogram the 4.6l ecu for $350. I don't know what happens if u need a change.

Sam
Thanks for the response, Sam. I consider you a valuable source of info. I am keeping this truck all Ford although it may a tougher row to hoe. They are using the 4.6 in older Mustangs and Rangers now and those guys can be a great source of info, also.
Tom

Old 04-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Scot
Elder User
Scot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dallas Mustang quoted me $50 for deleting PATS and a tune, eliminate EGR, rear O2 sensors and air pump if I get a box for it. 1997 Mark VIII.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM
TomKo
Freshman User
That sounds way better than $350. I thought that was way too much. For my application I shouldn't even need a reflash. Not totally committed to this motor yet. I got it cheap ($300 with trans) without hearing it run but that Telorvek harness costs $760. And its' specific for the 93 4.6. That's a big gamble.
Tom

Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
Dallas Mustang quoted me $50 for deleting PATS and a tune, eliminate EGR, rear O2 sensors and air pump if I get a box for it. 1997 Mark VIII.
I bought a used SCT X3 tuner for $150.. off ebay. cheapest I could find.. took a month to find one that didn't get bid up.

make sure it 'unmarried', else SCT charges $150 to reset.. (so $175 ($325-150) is as high as u should go, else buy new one)..

Sam

Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 AM
pgapro
New User
pgapro is starting off with a positive reputation.
4.6L mounts in F100?

Anyone have any suggestions on fabrication of a motor mount setup for the 4.6L in a 55 F100?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pgapro View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on fabrication of a motor mount setup for the 4.6L in a 55 F100?
I am doing the ones from Welder Series
https://www.welderseries.com/blog/on...ane-insulated/

Sam

Old 04-02-2012, 10:40 AM
pgapro
New User
pgapro is starting off with a positive reputation.
4.6L Motor Mounts

Thanks. Had googled but came up with very little. Looks like they will work just fine.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pgapro View Post
Thanks. Had googled but came up with very little. Looks like they will work just fine.
others sell these already assembled as well.. (not cheaper!)

Tin Man Fabrication 109408 - Tin Man Fabrication Motor Mounts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Sam

Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 PM
sparks427
New User
sparks427 is starting off with a positive reputation.
does that dallas mustang still reflash the ecms for 50 bucks?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Scot
Elder User
Scot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Far as I know. I posted the first message shortly after talking to them.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
cmoritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not trying to digress..and still stay on topic...somewhat..
I remember early in my hot-rod magazine reading years..thumbing thru a Hot-Rod magazine, and coming across someone out west (Colorado?) installing a big-block Oldsmobile Toronado engine/trans (front-wheel drive) in an el camino,..
living in the Mid-atlantic and learning how to drive in a little snow..and realizing how little traction the rearwheel drive chevy's were...it made perfect sense to me then... even at a young age, and still does...and I think that pretty much corrupted me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.6 liter install in 53-56 F100 anyone do it?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.