Sponsored by:

Redhead Steering Box Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:59 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by njneer1
I am going to need to write myself a note to remember April 16 !
thats funny! i thought i would make it a month out so people could plan ahead and save some money if they needed to....it seems this time around everyone is ready to jump on it now.....oh well....cant win them all.....

Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Nixxx
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested. I have a 2003 V10 4x4. I don't see any info on your main post about that year. Let me know what total cost would be. Just recently started wrenching on my own truck and I don't know what I didn't start doing it sooner.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Nixxx
Freshman User
Bump for this one. I'm Intrested.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:36 PM
riggers
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CrzHelm
when i got this truck even with stock 265 coopers had no steering while stopped. Its not the tires. pump or box is bad. no leaks
Mine does that too and I was told because the power steering pump is tied in somehow you need the motor (if even just a little) to turn it.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:39 PM
jeeplj8
Senior User
The 03 36 spline unit I'd in the first post.

Originally Posted by Nixxx
I'm interested. I have a 2003 V10 4x4. I don't see any info on your main post about that year. Let me know what total cost would be. Just recently started wrenching on my own truck and I don't know what I didn't start doing it sooner.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:18 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
bumpin' it up....

Old 03-26-2012, 11:26 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
With manual steering its almost impossible to turn on pavement with the vehicle stopped. Power steering assists in steering but it doesn't change the physics. On my truck, it will turn at idle when I'm off the brakes, but if I hold the brakes and try to turn the wheels on pavement it can be hard sometimes. I assume this is because the brakes are competing with the power steering for the pump's output and therefore reduce available pressure at the box, which happens at the same time that you are trying a maneuver (steering at stop with brakes on) that takes the most effort from the system.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Nixxx
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jeeplj8
The 03 36 spline unit I'd in the first post.
Don't know how I missed it. Mark me down for (1) 36 spline unit for my 03 then.

Noob question on core charges. Once I have the old one out. I would send it back to RED HEAD for my deposit back ? Just started wrenching on my own rig thx for the help.

nick

Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hasteranger
With manual steering its almost impossible to turn on pavement with the vehicle stopped. Power steering assists in steering but it doesn't change the physics. On my truck, it will turn at idle when I'm off the brakes, but if I hold the brakes and try to turn the wheels on pavement it can be hard sometimes. I assume this is because the brakes are competing with the power steering for the pump's output and therefore reduce available pressure at the box, which happens at the same time that you are trying a maneuver (steering at stop with brakes on) that takes the most effort from the system.
I tested this the other day on my truck and I can turn my wheel lock to lock with ease (with the brakes on)

I think I am going to pass on this group buy. I can always buy one later. I think I've finally gotten tired of dumping money into my truck. Maybe I'll put it on the road next week, perhaps the week after.

I have the last part, the Hellwig Swaybar, I'm gonna bring that down to the shop at the end of the week.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy
I tested this the other day on my truck and I can turn my wheel lock to lock with ease (with the brakes on)

I think I am going to pass on this group buy. I can always buy one later. I think I've finally gotten tired of dumping money into my truck. Maybe I'll put it on the road next week, perhaps the week after.

I have the last part, the Hellwig Swaybar, I'm gonna bring that down to the shop at the end of the week.

I just had my truck on the lift changing brake fluid and had to run the truck, pump the brakes, and turn the wheel.

I noticed with the wheels off the ground while turning the wheel, every time I hit the brakes the steering would stiffen up for a second then come back. The harder I stood on the brakes the harder it was to turn but the steering wasn't effected much, just slightly harder to turn.

So I'm curious if you have bad brakes or air in the brake lines somewhere and have excessive brake peddle travel could the steering be effected enough that a couple people can't steer with their brake on?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:27 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 PM
jeeplj8
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I just had my truck on the lift changing brake fluid and had to run the truck, pump the brakes, and turn the wheel.

I noticed with the wheels off the ground while turning the wheel, every time I hit the brakes the steering would stiffen up for a second then come back. The harder I stood on the brakes the harder it was to turn but the steering wasn't effected much, just slightly harder to turn.

So I'm curious if you have bad brakes or air in the brake lines somewhere and have excessive brake peddle travel could the steering be effected enough that a couple people can't steer with their brake on?
you have failing power steering pump, or amazingly sensitive hands.

these trucks do not intake vacuum for boost pressure in the power brakes, they use hydraulic presure from the power steering pump.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
straying off topic. Should probably start a new thread to continue.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:09 AM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
bump for a week and a half out....save your allowance! april 16th is the day....

Old 04-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Nixxx
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Nixxx
Mark me down for (1) 36 spline unit for my 03 then.
Ya add me to the list please.

Nick

Quick Reply: Redhead Steering Box Group Buy