85 F150 I6 need help w/ vacuum lines, choke, i.d.ing parts, etc. - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

85 F150 I6 need help w/ vacuum lines, choke, i.d.ing parts, etc.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:52 PM
New User

dually dude is starting off with a positive reputation.
86 carb vacumn thingy

What is the thing under the carb called and where can I get 1 my 86 was in pieces when I bought it and this plus much more to get it going will help greatly thanks in advance

Last edited by ctubutis; 04-16-2014 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Removed personal information
Old 04-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Post Fiend

1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the forum, dually dude!

I am guessing the part you described is the EGR adapter. It is made of aluminum and is approximately 1" thick. The EGR valve mounts to the side of this.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:22 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986F150six View Post
Welcome to the forum, dually dude!

I am guessing the part you described is the EGR adapter. It is made of aluminum and is approximately 1" thick. The EGR valve mounts to the side of this.
Where can iget one what is the part number or does anyone know of plain spacer plate and where can I get that thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 07:34 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually dude View Post
Where can iget one what is the part number or does anyone know of plain spacer plate and where can I get that thanks
I bought an EGR adapter plate from UHAUL of all places the truck is running now but not on the raod yet still some issues to tidy up will add pics when I figure out how
Old 03-01-2015, 09:28 AM
New User

Jasongross270 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd59 View Post
Cool. Learning is fun!

If anyone can weigh in on that linkage, please do. I'm really stumped there. I could also use a photo of how the choke heat is run from the carb, and where it plugs into the manifold. I've seen other posts on here where people make new lines for the choke stove out of hard brake line or copper tubing, and since I don't have the original lines, I'm going to have to do that. I just need to see where they go into the manifold.

When I get more time later this week, I'll start to re-connect all of the vacuum lines I need, and get the new carb installed. I will update this thread once I do, and I'll post some more pics just because. Thanks again!
I think it was the older style gas petal linkage I have a 1983 Ford F-150 with a 4.9 300 I6 and have the same linkage I was going to take mine off
Old 10-27-2017, 11:33 AM
New User

Salamander Salmon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85 View Post
There is a choke stove chamber made into the exhaust manifold. This chamber will have a hole in the bottom for the fresh air tube, and a hole in the top for the hot air tube. Filtered air is drawn from the carburetor air horn and down the fresh air tube where it passes through the choke stove chamber. From there the filtered air, now hot because it passed through the chamber, routes up to the choke cap through the hot air tube, which is insulated to help hold in the heat.

Attachment 235071

These tubes typically rust off and break in the holes of the choke stove chamber, making removal of the tubes very difficult. You will have to remove the manifold to get the broken ends out. Or you can go to any auto parts store and ask for a Choke Stove Kit. They can usually be found in the Help! section.

Amazon.com: Mr. Gasket 3665 Choke Stove Kit: Automotive

It comes with a length of coiled up aluminum tubing that you can easily bend by hand, the hot air tube insulation, the hardware to mount the tube to the choke cap, and a little "dome" with a hole in one end for the tubing to push into. This dome acts as the choke stove chamber and clamps to the exhaust manifold or header pipe to trap the hot air when the engine is running and routes the hot air up to the choke cap.

The only difference is the universal Choke Stove Kit doesn't use the fresh air portion of the stock hot air choke at all. It is intended to provide outside hot air to the choke. Very simple to install and works great.
So based on what i am reading here. This vacuum that has rusted and broke off for a long time now NEEDS to be replaced. The most simple process would be this kit? And retreiving the broken portion most likely i should takeoff the exhaust manifold to achieve this? Thank you, ive been searching for hours and only came across this thread
Old 10-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Posting Guru

JimsRebel has a very good reputation on FTE.JimsRebel has a very good reputation on FTE.JimsRebel has a very good reputation on FTE.JimsRebel has a very good reputation on FTE.
There is no easy quick fix for this, but it does need to have the hot air source for the choke to open.

Here are some more links to look at. Be sure to read the whole thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16579048

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14501535

Jim
Old 10-27-2017, 11:38 PM
Postmaster

LARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to beholdLARIAT 85 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander Salmon View Post
So based on what i am reading here. This vacuum that has rusted and broke off for a long time now NEEDS to be replaced. The most simple process would be this kit? And retreiving the broken portion most likely i should takeoff the exhaust manifold to achieve this? Thank you, ive been searching for hours and only came across this thread
You can just leave those broken off tubes there. You will not use them if you use the universal choke stove kit I referenced earlier.

The choke stove kit has all you need to get your thermostatic choke system working again. It provides a new hot air tube, so you can even use it on headers.