2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Questions on a second row modification

Old 03-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Aynesa
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on a second row modification

Hello all, relatively new member here, though I've been lurking a bit. I've got an 08 Expedition limited with a black leather interior. I'm expecting our third child, but I also have large dogs and a large family with big grocery needs, so my rear seats lay down all the time. Now with the third child, I'm concerned that I won't be able to throw the whole family into the truck at once, and the dogs or going for shopping. I've been thinking of replacing my center row captains seats with the 40/20/40 split bench seats. I've taken the truck to 3 different body shops, but they all look at me like I've grown a third head... A couple said if I could find the seat, they could put it in, but so far they're being less than helpful...

I've read the back posts about this general topic, but have a couple of questions...

1) I already have the captains chairs, did I read that there was some way to just add that center 20% section? I've got no problem ripping the armrests off the captains chairs.... or trading my captains chairs for a split bench somewhere.

2) whether I need just the center section, or the entire second row bench, where the heck can I find one?! I've been watching Ebay for 3 months and I haven't seen a center row come up for one of the 07 and later models in black leather. The baby is due in may, so I'm running out of time here.

3) Are there any good mechanics or body shops in Las Vegas, NV anyone can recommend that could help me with this modification? Doing it myself is out of the question right now, but I've got the money to pay for someone else to do it. I've talked to 3 body shops, 2 ford dealerships, and 2 mechanics, and no one seems to know what I'm talking about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:46 AM
chuck s
Elder User
I'm pretty sure (from messages here) the center section will fit between the so-called captains chairs once the center arm rests are removed. Getting one to match may be the problem. The mounting holes should be under the carpet. But this may not be the ideal solution depending on the ages of your children.

Good friend of mine has two children in child seats and finds the open aisle of the captains chairs to be the best way for her three children as the older child can easily access the third row and all three children are not jammed together in the second row. She has no big dogs (plural?) so that's not part of her problem.

Taking all the children and dogs grocery shopping is something I personally avoid!

-- Chuck

Old 03-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Aynesa
New User
Thanks Chuck. I generally don't take the dogs grocery shopping (and yes, plural, there are 3 ), but I do often pile the whole family into the truck for trips to national parks, camping, etc. The problem I have with the Expy is that there's about a foot of cargo space behind that third row with the seats up. Not good. Not enough for groceries. A weeks worth of groceries for our family generally covers the laid down third row from the second row to the door...and with our family's schedule (and the fact that my husband is often gone 14+ hours a day, or even weeks (plural) at a time on TDY), realistically there's no way to avoid me taking all three kids to the grocery store.

Thanks for the tip about the center aisle and third row. That is true, but doesn't alleviate the problem of needing more cargo space I get with the third row folded down, Having a car seat in that third row makes it nigh impossible to fold down.

I'm starting to think it more and more likely that I may have to trade in this truck less than a year after I bought it and get a minivan. :\ It's a shame, cause I love the truck...

Old 03-08-2012, 07:15 PM
RI-Matt
Senior User
What about just using the 40% section of the third row. I have 2nd captains chairs as well and my previous Expy had the 2nd row bench and I much prefer the captains chairs. Anytime we go somewhere that we need just one extra seat we just pop up the smaller seat in the 3rd row.

Matt

Old 03-11-2012, 12:45 PM
07xpyebel
Junior User
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I have the EL Eddie Bauer with two tone black & Camel leather interior, and this company called LKQ Recycling Used Auto Parts from Salvage

had the 2nd row captain chairs that matched my interior but I was too late and they were sold. They have the 3rd row left over.http://www.lkqonline.com/mainstreet/...5fe08dd&size=2

I believe the expy was standard not EL but it doesn't matter with the 2nd row.

In addition, I have read online somewhere that the holes are under the carpet, just lift-up your carpet to see

I lifted up my Ford vans carpet and the holes are there (I wanted to do the van as-well)

Take a look at this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ket-seats.html

Good Luck!

Last edited by 07xpyebel; 03-11-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: more info