Sponsored by: DP Tuner

3 hour MOD my @s$

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:38 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
3 hour MOD my @s$

Well its official, I believe I hold the record for the longest 6.0 tranny cooler MOD in the history of FTE. While the day started out with visions of a three or four hour mod, seven hours later I am finally done. Note to self, someone else’s instructions are never as easy as they first appear. So I followed the normal instructions like most others and I got as far as removing the grill. Well I have a winch that sits almost flush with the grill so that was a major delay. When I got to the part about “just take off the two top bolts and the two bottom bolts and slide it out” that is where the second delay occurred.<O</O
<O</O
I had no direct access to the bottom bolts as I still have the undercarriage crash bar or whatever that darn thing is and the bolts were not cooperating with my mod plans. I tried air tools and breaker bars and they would not break. Heck I would have sacrificed a chicken if I thought it would help so I just kept soaking them with PB until I could get them off (another hour wasted).<O</O
<O</O
Putting in the new unit, the damn clips kept falling off every time I came close to getting the cooler in position. Just when I thought about firing up the welder and tacking the damn things in place it finally came together. I love how the wife would look out in the garage every few hours and give me that “look” you guys know what I’m talking about. Hooked up all the lines and let it run for a while to make sure I did not have any leaks and put the old truck back together. If the other four mods that I have in the garage go this smoothly I think I’m going to call in reinforcements.<O</O
<O</O
I did discover that a weeding tool from the wife’s garden bag makes a great tab remover because trying to get them off with a screwdriver is one step shy of worthless. <O</O

Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
U mean the look of "I wonder is he is gonna be done soon but I am not gonna ask?" That is the one I get and it gets eerily quite outside as if nobody is coming out there to ask anything.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL.

Yeah, anytime I tell the wife on Saturday morning that working on the truck "...will only take about 2 hours," she laughs and says, "Well, have a nice day...I hope you're done by bedtime." Unfortunately, she's been right more often than wrong.

Way to get it done.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
My wife quit coming out and checking on me and she also quit telling me dinner was ready. She said if I was hungry then you know how to walk in the house and ask whats for dinner.

I had alot of late night dinners by myself.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
My wife's favorite saying is that it really isn't a true "repair" or "mod" unless it takes 3-4 times longer than expected, requires at least 1-2 extra trips to the parts/hardware store, and doesn't finish until after dark!

I've at least managed to avoid being up past midnight on repairs/mods now, but I'm still working on my time multiplier... hoping to eventually get it down to 2x the time estimate.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I share your frustration. It took me just as long to get my cooler mounted . I still have one of the mounting bolts floating around somewhere. It never hit the ground when I dropped it, but was nowhere to be found....

Old 03-12-2012, 06:16 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The sad thing is, I watched Brian from BTS do mine in less then 15 mins.. I can not imagine how long it would have taken me..

Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 AM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate it when that happens..

Old 03-12-2012, 07:45 AM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

That is funny - My wife just brings me out a drink anymore after years of asking - Now she knows - it's best just to go back inside so she dont have to listen to my beachin' -

Old 03-12-2012, 08:42 AM
kccatpower
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no matter how long it takes to get the job done, when its done it feels good to know you did it.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by just another truck
The sad thing is, I watched Brian from BTS do mine in less then 15 mins.. I can not imagine how long it would have taken me..

That is what I thought. One minute we were talking about putting the 6.0 in and the next thing I know Brians guys are done. I am thinking to 'myself'.... 'I' could have done that 'if' it was that 'easy'....... NOT

Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 AM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Tried to put on an oil by-pass last night….fail. Again, the instructions are not right. They call for a 3/8 extension to remove the plug next to the filter and it is not a 3/8th plug. 3/8ths is too big and Ľ is too small and it is square so I can’t use and Allen wrench to get it out. I did get the Donaldson ELF7405 on and the new oil drain valve so I guess I will have to wait until my next oil change to get this by-pass figured out.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 AM
stemo76
Senior User

Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
Tried to put on an oil by-pass last night….fail. Again, the instructions are not right. They call for a 3/8 extension to remove the plug next to the filter and it is not a 3/8th plug. 3/8ths is too big and Ľ is too small and it is square so I can’t use and Allen wrench to get it out. I did get the Donaldson ELF7405 on and the new oil drain valve so I guess I will have to wait until my next oil change to get this by-pass figured out.
I installed the FS2500 on my truck and they supplied a piece of square stock that I used to remove that plug with an adjustable wrench. Check out your hardware store or steel yard. They should be able to supply you with what you need.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
The instructions say “using a 3/8” ratchet and 6” socket extension, remove the factory installed plug in the engine block located just to the rear of the full flow oil filter”. I’m going to look at the store and see if they sell a square set of heads for removing various plugs. If not I might have to make my own. I need to figure out what size this darn thing is.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 AM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
The instructions say “using a 3/8” ratchet and 6” socket extension, remove the factory installed plug in the engine block located just to the rear of the full flow oil filter”. I’m going to look at the store and see if they sell a square set of heads for removing various plugs. If not I might have to make my own. I need to figure out what size this darn thing is.
Buy a cheap extension and grind it to fit.

Quick Reply: 3 hour MOD my @s$