6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:47 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Bill PM me your address. I have something I still would like to send to you.
That is if you get that computer working so you can read a DVD.

I think you might find the bolt placement if you do some looking in the
images in on that DVD.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 05-21-2016, 09:38 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in Nashville, headed home for the last 1000 mile stretch tomorrow... I am ready to be back home.

Left last sunday with 184,710 miles...somewhere just over 191,000 now. If i had to do this over, definitely would be less driving so often and more time. Another week would have been good...we've just been moving too fast and not seeing things very long and i am beat.

And apparently my oil cooler is clogged again, running 15* delta just going empty down the hwy. My mpg went up a little bit leaving CA, to 17 or so, but now its creeping back down to 14 on the highway. Running about 78 on cruise control and its perfectly flat..

Old 05-21-2016, 09:55 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Complete drain followed by 6 fills and dumps with distilled water. In between I used my pressurized and destilled water filled extinguisher to back flush. In the end 3.5 gallons of straight Rotella ELC and then a top off of the remaining 1/2 gallon mixed with destilled water 50/50.
Lower clamp wouldn't hold anymore and with the new blood red coolant it was easy to find the leak. An added benefit to the switch.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:56 PM
LCR
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Worst exhaust install ever!! The Diamond Eye 4" DP wasn't too bad once I took the ATF tube off. Problem was my girl friend in a fit of rage last week threw my tools every where and I couldn't find my ratcheting 10mm and I already cut the old DP out before I figured it out.

Nothing lined up and I wasn't even sure I had the correct pieces, the final outlet wouldnt, and still doesn't line up correctly. there were two pipes I didn't need and not sure why they were there, 1 for a CCLB but I have a CCSB and there should have only been one(so why 2). I went from the DP back and then the tail-pipe forward and when they met in the middle there was about 12" gap. None of the others pipe combos would add up to the gap and I saw on here some people couldn't fully seat the flanges, even half way seated I still needed 6". To solve it I took one of the extra pipes and cut one down so all the pipes were fully seated.

New problem was the clamps with the hangers didn't line up because I added that piece, again tried multiple combos of order. Luckily there were the extra clamps for the Longbeds so the hangers went where they needed and the connections got clamped as well.

Overall it took somewhere around 9 (FML!!) hours, 2 of which were screwing with the ATF tube without the tools to get in there. I'll call Diamond Eye on Monday to see about getting another tail pipe, it just isn't seating right into the over axle pipe and/or the angle is all wrong.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:15 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by LCR
Worst exhaust install ever!! The Diamond Eye 4" DP wasn't too bad once I took the ATF tube off. Problem was my girl friend in a fit of rage last week threw my tools every where and I couldn't find my ratcheting 10mm and I already cut the old DP out before I figured it out.
Time to loose the tool tosser ./?
Your guess if that really is a question or a statement.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 05-21-2016, 10:19 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,403 Posts
We're the tools really being thrown everywhere or just where you happened to be standing at the time?

Old 05-21-2016, 10:22 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,403 Posts
Originally Posted by Per4mance
Went over the Ex today and looked at all the carnage that the PO did taking it apart. Looks like it needs harness on the main and FICM. Cleaned the intake out down at the marina shop parts washer(it's big) and all the bolts. I got some puzzle to put together as I haven't worked on many early 6.0,I got to find a intake bolt diagram for the studded ones.also need a clutch fan,harness is cut right off. Otherwise it's a nice rig,pretty clean.
If it's an '03 layout I've got the PDFs.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:24 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok thanks it is and it's a mess. I've got to clean up as much as possible.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:53 PM
LCR
More Turbo
2 or 3 locations in the garage. I had brought a bunch of tools in the house and took my travel boxes out of the truck to go over them. A detached garage sucks so I bring them in to do it all at night. She freaked about that and a bunch of other small things, like my dirty dishes in the sink (next to her dirty dishes) instead of putting my dishes in the washer.

Overall I'm kind of in a pickle because I was laid off from oil and gas back in Jan. I started going back to school last year ($$$) and were renting a house together. She claims stress from work (teacher) and her buying a house (that she still wants me to live in??) and that we've been together almost years and I haven't proposed yet ( I know right!!!)

So yea, part convenience part she's bat carp crazy, part I'm an *******.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:02 PM
LCR
More Turbo
But seriously I'm missing 4/5 10mm wrenches (2 ratcheting ones) good thing there's like 5 HFs in this town.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:03 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LCR
2 or 3 locations in the garage. I had brought a bunch of tools in the house and took my travel boxes out of the truck to go over them. A detached garage sucks so I bring them in to do it all at night. She freaked about that and a bunch of other small things, like my dirty dishes in the sink (next to her dirty dishes) instead of putting my dishes in the washer.

Overall I'm kind of in a pickle because I was laid off from oil and gas back in Jan. I started going back to school last year ($$$) and were renting a house together. She claims stress from work (teacher) and her buying a house (that she still wants me to live in??) and that we've been together almost years and I haven't proposed yet ( I know right!!!)

So yea, part convenience part she's bat carp crazy, part I'm an *******.
Can't live with them or without them....if you been with her for a couple years and living with her currently what's the hold up?

Old 05-21-2016, 11:17 PM
LCR
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4
Can't live with them or without them....if you been with her for a couple years and living with her currently what's the hold up?
Blow ups like that. Seems to happen more often, hell we got into an argument about why I didn't take an 11/hr job when I made 53k last year. Unemployment is $479/wk and trying to explain unemployment in Texas is funded by the company that laid me off, not tax payers sent her over the edge.

She was raised an only child to parents in their 50s, never wanted for anything, paid out of pocket for private out of state college, etc. it's 50/50 on ways we mesh and I'm not sure I want to marry into that and eventually have kids

Plus she has relationship problems in the past and crap she needs to sort out from them. I.E broke up with her fiancé, still talks to him, and she doesn't want to talk about what happened between them.

Things like that I'm not excited to dive into marriage.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:20 PM
LCR
More Turbo
Bought a turbo blanket off eBay and trying to figure it out. I think I need to take that heat shield looking thing off the turbine housing and it should slip right on. Anyone ever put one on?

Old 05-21-2016, 11:34 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by LCR
Blow ups like that. Seems to happen more often, hell we got into an argument about why I didn't take an 11/hr job when I made 53k last year. Unemployment is $479/wk and trying to explain unemployment in Texas is funded by the company that laid me off, not tax payers sent her over the edge.

She was raised an only child to parents in their 50s, never wanted for anything, paid out of pocket for private out of state college, etc. it's 50/50 on ways we mesh and I'm not sure I want to marry into that and eventually have kids

Plus she has relationship problems in the past and crap she needs to sort out from them. I.E broke up with her fiancé, still talks to him, and she doesn't want to talk about what happened between them.

Things like that I'm not excited to dive into marriage.
Maybe time to pack up and walk.

So happy I did that with my last GF.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 05-22-2016, 12:27 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well on Wednesday I put my SuperDuty up for sale & Friday I sold it

Was very hard to do, but after selling the 5'er approximately 1.5 years ago & having nothing to pull, plus buying a larger house soon which the SD doesn't fit in the darn attached garage. I figured it was time to sell it, with my new career that doesn't pay as much as my old & the wife being in college over 2 years now, the high cost of the Diesel has taken its toll.

I will miss my big ol' Diesel ALOT though

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?