6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 12:04 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
i love my 6000 series... catches alot of oil in it every year...

Old 03-15-2019, 03:26 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
I know this Racor CCV4500 should be in Marketplace, but I've never got any traction over there. Maybe 6.0s need a selling thread.

I ended up with two due to a senior moment. Didn't clean it up and it's a bare housing. $100 and I'll pay for shipping Cont USA before it goes eBay.
Jack sending you an email, since I can't PM until I re-up my subscription...
Scott

Old 03-15-2019, 05:32 PM
AWCM1977
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blue Spring Mod

Hey guys, only my second post, although I've been surfing the 6.0 site since August 17, that's when I bought my 2004 F-350 DRW. First owner took real good care from what I could see by the reports I pulled. Second owner...not so much so in that he shelled out about 15K for engine & transmission repairs by a very reputable local diesel shop. The 15K I paid him I suspect was his wanting to get back the repairs cost and he ate his purchase costs.
Today I changed the Blue Spring mod after getting my fuel and oil pressures gauges running last weekend, it was driving me nuts that I was only seeing 50psi on the fuel, even though I have receipts from PO showing the mod done two years ago.

Fuel on the left with the blue spring mod, according to the receipts from PO.

OEM blue spring on right, what I pulled out on the left. Is it possible that the spring on the left is a blue spring?

After priming and running I'm now seeing around 60psi. Still wondering about the other spring I swapped out, but at least I'll sleep tonight knowing for a fact what's in the truck.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:51 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Having been there I know that a bad driver side switch can make it so the window will not work.
ordered a OEM switch , this morning I tried the passenger front switch and it went down , but didn’t want to go back up , went to the drivers side switch with one hand on the rubber door boot and started pinching , found it to be shorting there.hopfully the rear window is the same or switch related , more to come on my findings .

Old 03-16-2019, 12:04 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 04badford

ordered a OEM switch , this morning I tried the passenger front switch and it went down , but didn’t want to go back up , went to the drivers side switch with one hand on the rubber door boot and started pinching , found it to be shorting there.hopfully the rear window is the same or switch related , more to come on my findings .
I've done my fair share of repairs in those rubber boots from Audis to VWs. The wire clean breaks from the open/close action so many times. The last one I just did was an 04 Explorer. It doesn't necessarily short.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:10 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I took apart my IPR metal coolant filter yesterday after 15,000 miles of driving. When I got my 6.0 some 45,000 miles ago, the coolant looked like swamp water. I run Peak ELC made for diesel. Today, the coolant looks like pomegranate juice. The filter had some a small amount of gritty material. It so clean that I wonder how the previous owner could have gotten it so dirty.

I changed both fuel filters. Same story. Clean!

Changed the oil-dirty! I tried installing the FS2500 bypass oil filter and wrote a huge thread on the install. Long story short, it's going back to FS2500.

I have been living with a rhythmic sewing machine chirp for nearly a year after I changed out my alternator and serpentine belt. It may be an alignment problem. Or it could be a bearing. I want to pull the bracket off the radiator to slide the radiator back and get enough room to inspect the pulleys and tensioner. I have the van, so it's an all-day project whenever I "get under the hood".

I gathered all my tax documents today. Sending everything to a tax attorney on Monday. Time to go back to my van for some relaxation!

Old 03-16-2019, 06:19 PM
AWCM1977
4wd Low
Question Blue Spring Mod

Yesterday I did a OEM Blue Spring Mod. After getting the Fuel and Oil pressure gauges running last week it was bugging me that I was only seeing 50psi on the fuel. According to the receipts I was given from the PO a Blue Spring Mod was done two years ago.

Fuel on the left with Oil pressure on the right. Never saw the fuel psi above 51.

Spring I pulled from the fuel bowl on the left with the OEM on the right.

Now showing the psi I've been reading about.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:42 PM
AWCM1977
4wd Low
Today I drained the HFCM and finished replacing the rear shocks, Rancho 7000's, that I started back in October. I was not able to get one bolt on the bottom bracket loose, so today I decided that it was getting cut off. That project is now done.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:18 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by coolfeet
I took apart my IPR metal coolant filter yesterday after 15,000 miles of driving. When I got my 6.0 some 45,000 miles ago, the coolant looked like swamp water. I run Peak ELC made for diesel. Today, the coolant looks like pomegranate juice. The filter had some a small amount of gritty material. It so clean that I wonder how the previous owner could have gotten it so dirty.

Changed the oil-dirty! I tried installing the FS2500 bypass oil filter and wrote a huge thread on the install. Long story short, it's going back to FS2500.

I have been living with a rhythmic sewing machine chirp for nearly a year after I changed out my alternator and serpentine belt. It may be an alignment problem. Or it could be a bearing. I want to pull the bracket off the radiator to slide the radiator back and get enough room to inspect the pulleys and tensioner. I have the van, so it's an all-day project whenever I "get under the hood".

I gathered all my tax documents today. Sending everything to a tax attorney on Monday. Time to go back to my van for some relaxation!
Do some reading on lifter failure along with chirp sounds.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:41 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
If it was a lifter I doubt it would make it a year. Easy check for drive belt component issue and chirp - remove belt start truck for 10 seconds.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:14 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Got the turbo back together and in the truck...

only took me 3 times to get it stuffed back on top of the engine... KC changes the orientation of the Compressor housing bolts.. so instead of them being on the front side of the compressor housing theyre instead on the rear side of the compressor housing... this became a problem because one of the bolts decided to push against the drain tube keeping it from seating in the hole...

i pulled the turbo and tried to reclock the housing so that the drain tube cleared the bolts... unfortunately when i put it back in and it seated on the tube i then discovered that the intake outlet on the turbo was way too high.. ended up bending the boot 90* when i tried to test fit it... so out it came again...

this time i clocked the housing the opposite direction and stuck it back in... this time it was a fight to get it back in.. but eventually it sat on the drain tube.. bolted the turbo down.. got the down pipe reconnected and the oil feed tube in... but thats as far as i got i was tired of working on the truck today after fighting with that thing all day... the up pipes are still disconnected from the turbo and the piping from the air filters still not connected.. havent changed out the manifolds yet (reason i havent connected the up pipes to the turbo yet.. figured itd be easier when i disconnect them from the maifolds). and still need to install the EGT probes...

ntm i still need 2 new batts.. but lets get the truck back together first before getting batts..

Old 03-16-2019, 10:24 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
I've done my fair share of repairs in those rubber boots from Audis to VWs. The wire clean breaks from the open/close action so many times. The last one I just did was an 04 Explorer. It doesn't necessarily short.
took the boot out of the door only , tomorrow I’ll get the whole boot slide back so I can see the wire loom , I’m definitely not getting power to the passenger front window , pulled fuse 32 and 41 and the Relay , could it be the Relay even though I still have radio and drivers side rear and front windows working ? , hopefully the switch will come in , before I start tearing things down to far .

Old 03-16-2019, 11:27 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Is this in the tech folder? i will post the sound.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:51 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Is this in the tech folder? i will post the sound.
Before going nuts I'd suspect the belt making the chirp. The water pump pulleys can cause this. Do like Jack said, loosen/remove the belt and start it to see if the noise stops.
My belt talks to me on shut down. A customers 7.3 did it on cold starts and was the water pump pulley. Good luck on the hunt, it can be tough to track sometimes

Old 03-17-2019, 12:00 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Before going nuts I'd suspect the belt making the chirp. The water pump pulleys can cause this. Do like Jack said, loosen/remove the belt and start it to see if the noise stops.
My belt talks to me on shut down. A customers 7.3 did it on cold starts and was the water pump pulley. Good luck on the hunt, it can be tough to track sometimes
as does mine... i think its in part due to how tight it is and how many pulleys it runs around.. when its shut down i think the crank stops turning so quick that the belt slips just a bit under its momentum..

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?