6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:39 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,403 Posts
Got another RA Christmas package yesterday.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Parts are coming in as I type this, but Rockauto sent the parts USPS, hopefully they'll be here before February.
Don't forget that USPS is also very good and crushing and mangling.
Ever wonder where the Samsonite Gorilla is working now?

Old 12-18-2018, 05:45 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
got the hubs greased... trucks a bit quieter and smoother... think the rest of the noise is the tires...

Old 12-19-2018, 12:00 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Got another RA Christmas package yesterday.
Will you be making a video showing off how to use your new tool?

Originally Posted by Yahiko
Don't forget that USPS is also very good and crushing and mangling.
Ever wonder where the Samsonite Gorilla is working now?
A friend I used to work with worked for the USPS before he became Logistics Manager of the company I worked for. I once asked him if I should ship something USPS and his response to me was: "How long do you want it to take? It may also end up in Siberia for 6 months before it gets to where you shipped it to"

These are parts I need to put my truck back together and if they don't show up tomorrow, I'm strongly considering getting a refund from RockAuto and paying the extra $32.96 it's going to cost me at O'reilly for the parts so I can get my truck back together and running.

Originally Posted by Sparky83
got the hubs greased... trucks a bit quieter and smoother... think the rest of the noise is the tires...
Did you use Lucas Red n' Tacky?

You'll probably have to do it again if you didn't. Ask me how I know...

In other news, I had my heads checked again for flatness and they passed the test with flying colors. Yet another relief in this process, now I just need an engine hoist and CALIBRATED torque wench.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:13 AM
markw365
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put another 1300 flawless miles on the truck this weekend. Drove it back east to my buddies place in New Mexico to pick up a Lance 815 slide in camper, this is replacing my class C RV. Zero issues driving there and back, except for the engine temp was 182-186, so much for Motorcraft quality thermostats, ordered a Mishimoto to replace it. This is 12k on the truck since doing the oil cooler and replacing all the belts/hoses/waterpump in June when I got it.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:14 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend

Was going to do them with royal purple but the tube i had ran out and couldnt find my spare. But ended up buying Mobile 1 synthetic grease. There was no wiggle in them. I wouldnt be surprised if they needed it again. I never got the grease to come out between the housing and the flang like everyone said it should. That was with me doing 30-40 pumps on both (stopped counting after 22). They were both kinda stiff to turn. More so on the pass side.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:25 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Went and looked at mine is it part way disassembled state.
The heavy work starts in the AM.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:48 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83

Was going to do them with royal purple but the tube i had ran out and couldnt find my spare. But ended up buying Mobile 1 synthetic grease. There was no wiggle in them. I wouldnt be surprised if they needed it again. I never got the grease to come out between the housing and the flang like everyone said it should. That was with me doing 30-40 pumps on both (stopped counting after 22). They were both kinda stiff to turn. More so on the pass side.
Guess which grease I used that let me down?

Old 12-19-2018, 06:27 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Will you be making a video showing off how to use your new tool?

A friend I used to work with worked for the USPS before he became Logistics Manager of the company I worked for. I once asked him if I should ship something USPS and his response to me was: "How long do you want it to take? It may also end up in Siberia for 6 months before it gets to where you shipped it to"

These are parts I need to put my truck back together and if they don't show up tomorrow, I'm strongly considering getting a refund from RockAuto and paying the extra $32.96 it's going to cost me at O'reilly for the parts so I can get my truck back together and running.

In other news, I had my heads checked again for flatness and they passed the test with flying colors. Yet another relief in this process, now I just need an engine hoist and CALIBRATED torque wench.
Parts from RockAuto, not tools. I guess I’m making TooManyVideos.

You can track your parts with RockAuto. Go to your account and open the order, tracking number is there. I do wish they had a better choice when selecting shippers, but for me it’s DHL that gets longer ship times. That and you never know the warehouse it’s coming from, so it could be close or across the country.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:45 AM
HTM101
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Went and looked at mine is it part way disassembled state.
The heavy work starts in the AM.
What's being done to it?

David

Old 12-19-2018, 07:56 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Guess which grease I used that let me down?
any of them lol?? i dont hold the hub units for these trucks in high regards to begin with... i was hoping to just convert it to a free spin kit.. (yes i know it already free spins but the ability to just change the bearings cheaply and easily like the old school wheel bearings woulda been nice) but not really in the budget right now and the company i would have liked to have bought a kit from doesnt make one for the truck yet...

plus i dont think my hubs are all that healthy either since i been driving on them for awhile without them being extra greased... driver sides over a year old.. the passenger side i think is somewhere around 6-8 months old now..

Old 12-19-2018, 08:07 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

205k on factory hubs. Added a little grease at 175k. Maybe the one blessing with this truck.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:14 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
205k on factory hubs. Added a little grease at 175k. Maybe the one blessing with this truck.
ive had 2 sets of MC hubs... they didnt last real long on mine..

Old 12-19-2018, 08:34 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I don't know if the Motorcraft service items are the same as the Dana assembly line items. Ford doesn't always get the service items from the OE supplier or require the same specs as the assembly line parts. The concern for warranty and labor during the new car warranty period is much different than the 2-year service parts warranty. Seeing how many people had issues with replacement hubs of all suppliers, if/when I need hubs I'll be buying Dana.

However, that also doesn't mean that the Dana service parts are the same quality either, as what they supply for the assembly line axles. Thirty years of working for an OE/Aftermarket supplier reveals some inconvenient truths, worse than Global Warming.

Its a mad dash in the competition for who can sell at the price the consumer wants to pay.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
I don't know if the Motorcraft service items are the same as the Dana assembly line items. Ford doesn't always get the service items from the OE supplier or require the same specs as the assembly line parts. The concern for warranty and labor during the new car warranty period is much different than the 2-year service parts warranty. Seeing how many people had issues with replacement hubs of all suppliers, if/when I need hubs I'll be buying Dana.

However, that also doesn't mean that the Dana service parts are the same quality either, as what they supply for the assembly line axles. Thirty years of working for an OE/Aftermarket supplier reveals some inconvenient truths, worse than Global Warming.

Its a mad dash in the competition for who can sell at the price the consumer wants to pay.

annoying part is ive never found Dana MFG hub assembly for this truck... every other mfg but not the dana ones...

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?