6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 01:25 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Fixed it for you!
Oh my heck, I forgot all about Mr. Mint, Mint, Mint.

Stewart

Old 11-20-2018, 02:18 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Started on the exhaust system yesterday. I started unbolting at the turbo and should of known
that when the I found the nut on T bolt for the clamp I was in for trouble. I ended up breaking the bolt.
New clamp time. Ree. Then I got under the truck and found coolant dripping down the passenger
side of the engine Nasty four letter word FTE won't let me post. Did some snooping around and
found that it was the cheap assed EGR deleter the PO had used. I took a break and chatted with
Bill (@Per4mance) when I took a short break and tried what he told me to check and sure enough
both clamps on the hose werre loose. We will see how it does now that I took care of that.
I stopped working at 9PM. Don't like to **** people off with noise late at night. So today is get the
clamp and start putting pipe in place and snug it up so I can set all the clearances so avoid any rattling.
BTW I picked up the band clamps for the system and won't be using the other style.

Wish me a good day turning wrenched and I will post back when I finish with a sound recording.
Well I found the part number I think 6C3Z-5A231-AA

Old 11-20-2018, 04:05 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Fixed it for you!

I plan on adding a dually to the fleet alot like yours. There are too many times I need a truck and the towing capabilities of a dually (gooseneck and 5th wheel) and don't have it. With bumper pull, there are only so many trailers
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Oh my heck, I forgot all about Mr. Mint, Mint, Mint.

Stewart
I guess I should of said it's pristine.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:49 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Well I have not gotten any work done. Seems that on the way home some tractor trailer
decides to burst into flame. They were able to unhook the tractor and let the trailer go.
What a mess it made out of traffic. At least it seems everyone is OK. On a different subject
I have an appointment on Monday to take the truck in to get the new bed painted.

Also I did get the part. $45.00 But I needed it NOW.

Question for the ones that tow a lot. What type of abuse does it take to bend
the metal around the bumper hitch pin holes? The more work I do on this truck
the more I want to kick someone in the @ with some ice climbing traction
cleats on my boots when I do the kicking..

Old 11-20-2018, 09:58 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Picked up my outer axle seals from the dealership today. Not sure if the seals come with ALL the seals (not including dust seals) if you order from other vendors but to my surprise.......

It even came with new hub nuts which the timken hubs did not. Came with the paper gasket for the locking hubs and the bolts.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:51 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Well I have not gotten any work done. Seems that on the way home some tractor trailer
decides to burst into flame. They were able to unhook the tractor and let the trailer go.
What a mess it made out of traffic. At least it seems everyone is OK. On a different subject
I have an appointment on Monday to take the truck in to get the new bed painted.

Also I did get the part. $45.00 But I needed it NOW.

Question for the ones that tow a lot. What type of abuse does it take to bend
the metal around the bumper hitch pin holes? The more work I do on this truck
the more I want to kick someone in the @ with some ice climbing traction
cleats on my boots when I do the kicking..
As far as the hitch pin hole is concerned, they do wear and sort of mushroom out. It's only mild steel and the pins are tougher so only the strong survive. Mine is wore enough to where the hole is conformed to the bend of the pin. I can post a pic tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:01 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Busy replacing a front bearing unit and the big axle seal. Man stuff is expensive in Canada. I got the bearing unit from Rock Auto. My guy couldn't come close. The seal was just under 20 bucks difference, got that here cause they had one on the shelf. Finish up Wednesday if the dog doesn't run off with any more nuts.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:56 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
As far as the hitch pin hole is concerned, they do wear and sort of mushroom out. It's only mild steel and the pins are tougher so only the strong survive. Mine is wore enough to where the hole is conformed to the bend of the pin. I can post a pic tomorrow.
Good to know that was the issue.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:34 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Good to know that was the issue.
Heres the pics. First is pin in resting position, second is with it turned up out of the way. You see the material mushroomed out. No worries, it's only the outer edge.
Is that what you were referring to?

Old 11-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
mine looks like that.... just the beveled edge is towards the front of the truck instead of down towards the ground....

Old 11-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Heres the pics. First is pin in resting position, second is with it turned up out of the way. You see the material mushroomed out. No worries, it's only the outer edge.
Is that what you were referring to?

Mine is that way on the inside of the receiver and I had a heck of a time getting one to slide in.
After working at it I was able to slide the hitch in.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:36 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Mine is that way on the inside of the receiver and I had a heck of a time getting one to slide in.
After working at it I was able to slide the hitch in.
when i knocked the insert out i noticed mine had a lip inside too... dremel with the cutting bit took care of it... used it to grind it down...

Old 11-22-2018, 12:21 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Just ordered 3 tunes from Innovative Diesel to try. They're only 1.5 from me and I've heard good things about they're tunes & customer service.
Now I wait.

On another note I started wiring the new doubledin android based head unit I found on Amazon. I'll tell more about it once its installed but for an off brand it has customer support, accessories supporting the unit, and came loaded with some apps. It has multiple USBs, SD slot, 2 bluetooths, Wifi, phone screen mirroring, GPS, & tuner. It supports DVR dash cam, external mic, WiFi antenna, GPS antenna, and backup camera along with aux. Also I got the optional slim OBDII bluetooth connector for Forscan or Torque. It even has a bluetooth app for tire pressure monitor system. So far I'm pretty happy with what I got for around $270. It even came with directions.... in English even!
ATOTO A6 Android Car Navigation Stereo ATOTO A6 Android Car Navigation Stereo

ATOTO AC-4450 Bluetooth OBDII/OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scanner/Scan ATOTO AC-4450 Bluetooth OBDII/OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scanner/Scan

ATOTO AC-44P1 USB ON-DASH CAMERA/DVR Recorder ATOTO AC-44P1 USB ON-DASH CAMERA/DVR Recorder

Old 11-22-2018, 02:19 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
In ENGLISH, You must be seeing things.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:41 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Well after 19+ days of sitting in front of my (now just) Mom's house -- I got relieved from duty by my Sister who'll take over parental health issues. Truck fired right up and never had an FICM voltage below 11 (cold) -- LOVE these Odyssey Batteries! Then I drove 130 some-odd miles home, no radio on, just listening to the 6.0 and turbo whine: chit-eating grin on my face the whole way. Man it's nice to be home! And I just love my truck!!

Nothin' to fix or report other than great delta spread at 70 and guessing I was in the 18mpg range just by how the lie-o-meter keeps going up and the fuel gauge barely dropping...

Scott

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?