So what did you do to your 6.0L today? - Page 1361 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Old 07-14-2018, 02:40 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Useing something like the Radvac to fill the cooling system removes almost all bubbles in the system.
I have the Ex in the garage right now because the floor is flat. I drove it earlier today on some errands to get it hot. I am sure there is air in it but I am getting it out. I took the small return hose off of the degas and fillled the hose with coolant repeatedly using a turkey baster, the liquid definitely was displacing the air. I ran it again and it is cooling down,

Old 07-14-2018, 06:31 PM
IHateCommieCars
Posting Guru
IHateCommieCars is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.IHateCommieCars is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Cursed the PO of my shuule bus today. Changing tranny fluid and fuel filters - all the caps were torqued on. Got the tranny and lower fuel caps off but the bolt head on the upper fuel cap broke completely off.

I assume the only way to get it off now is with hammer and chisel. There's not much access on these Eseries. I broke one before and did that, Can't recall if it was a truck or van. IIRC I actually broke a hole in the top getting it off. Sure don't want pieces falling in the bowl.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:57 PM
Sparky83
Posting Legend
Sparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputationSparky83 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Shawn that valve is open until you go max A/C then it turns off.
well then there goes that ider... no clue where it went then...

Old 07-15-2018, 02:06 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Sparky83 View Post
well then there goes that ider... no clue where it went then...
If ony it was an Ex then you could blame the back heater core for the MIA fluids.

Well I got the steering gear into the project truck and can't find the bolts that hold the drag link. Never fails that some thing
would be missing. I looked in the box that I put all the hardware from the front and no love. Guess I'll have to go buy some
nuts. I'll take a look again just incase I missed something.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
chick
Junior User
chick is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tried to back up on Saturday, truck would not move until I pulled forward a few feet. So yesterday pulled the calipers, and one piston on each side was totally fractured, I had to pry them off the rotors. So off to the parts store (1 hour each way) for calipers, pads and rotors. Got home, stated the install, one caliper was no good. The bleeder was obviously cross threaded, hack at the refurb shop should have seen this, but let it go anyway. So back to the parts shop, another 2 hours of driving, swap it out, and back home. Finally got all back together. This would explain why the mileage was down to about 12.5 mpg. I hope it goes back up now.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
npccpartsman
Post Fiend
npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Excurvelle View Post
How is the best way to bleed the system, I think mine has an air pocket.
I just drive mine until it's at full operating temperature and when I get to where I'm going to be for several hours I crack the cap SLOWLY to let the pressure off then tighten it back down and let it cool completely. Next time I drive it I do the same thing. I notice that the DEGAS bottle will change slightly (usually goes down a bit).

I do this twice a year because I change thermostats for summer and winter and it works well for me. Occasionally I'll see it burp a few bubbles, but not often.

Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM
m54sam
New User
m54sam is starting off with a positive reputation.
DTC P0673 just showed up this weekend...and just ordered from Amazon Glow Plug harnesses (right and left in the same kit) and will be starting there...following this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...dtc-p0673.html. From what I understand the harness tends to go first, but I can't help thinking maybe I change the glow plugs at the same time while I have it apart. Thoughts?

Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Excurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant futureExcurvelle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by npccpartsman View Post
I just drive mine until it's at full operating temperature and when I get to where I'm going to be for several hours I crack the cap SLOWLY to let the pressure off then tighten it back down and let it cool completely. Next time I drive it I do the same thing. I notice that the DEGAS bottle will change slightly (usually goes down a bit).

I do this twice a year because I change thermostats for summer and winter and it works well for me. Occasionally I'll see it burp a few bubbles, but not often.
Been doing that but my "new" replacement Mishimoto thermostat still has wild swings. I may put the old thermostat back in and be done with it or buy a Motorcraft.

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
Turd-250
Postmaster
Turd-250 has a brilliant futureTurd-250 has a brilliant futureTurd-250 has a brilliant futureTurd-250 has a brilliant futureTurd-250 has a brilliant futureTurd-250 has a brilliant futureTurd-250 has a brilliant futureTurd-250 has a brilliant futureTurd-250 has a brilliant futureTurd-250 has a brilliant futureTurd-250 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by m54sam View Post
DTC P0673 just showed up this weekend...and just ordered from Amazon Glow Plug harnesses (right and left in the same kit) and will be starting there...following this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...dtc-p0673.html. From what I understand the harness tends to go first, but I can't help thinking maybe I change the glow plugs at the same time while I have it apart. Thoughts?
i'd sure be inclined to at least pull out GP #3 and ohm it, see if its in spec. that's me tho!

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Excurvelle View Post
Been doing that but my "new" replacement Mishimoto thermostat still has wild swings. I may put the old thermostat back in and be done with it or buy a Motorcraft.
You want an IH T-stat the Motorcraft nes don't last long.

This is what I put in my 2006.

​​​​​​​

Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM
m54sam
New User
m54sam is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Turd-250 View Post
i'd sure be inclined to at least pull out GP #3 and ohm it, see if its in spec. that's me tho!
Will do, thanks!

Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM
KDAVID1
Postmaster
KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.KDAVID1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Nothing to the truck....but I am searching for real estate near grapevine tx.
Any input greatly appreciated

Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
JaySVX
Posting Guru
JaySVX is a name known to allJaySVX is a name known to allJaySVX is a name known to allJaySVX is a name known to allJaySVX is a name known to allJaySVX is a name known to all
I wanted to install my new EBP sensor and tube, however my father broke his ebrake on his motorhome, and ran into some landscape timbers. And he's supposed to go to myrtle beach in a month. I'm terrified, at his age he shouldn't be driving a 37' motorhome 800 miles. He suggested that I drive him and fly back.

Old Today, 07:52 AM
Excurvelle
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
I wanted to install my new EBP sensor and tube, however my father broke his ebrake on his motorhome, and ran into some landscape timbers. And he's supposed to go to myrtle beach in a month. I'm terrified, at his age he shouldn't be driving a 37' motorhome 800 miles. He suggested that I drive him and fly back.
I feel your pain. My mid 80's parents are all the time driving to Maryland/Pennsylvania/Ohio from North Carolina. I hear the stories about how they ran off the road and got tired or cut somebody off but what can I do? I am glad they are driving a car not a MH.