1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

New here- just bought a 2003 E350 "adv van"

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:31 PM
klinquist
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here- just bought a 2003 E350 "adv van"

Hi!

Thank you for all that have contributed here - I searched the forum a lot during my search for the right van. I definitely over-research all of my purchases, and this was a huge help.

I am an avid motorcyclist (street and just getting into dirt. I rode my street bike round trip from CA to the Arctic Ocean (Prudhoe Bay, AK) and back this past summer!). I decided I wanted a vehicle to transport bikes when necessary (especially as I get more into dirt riding). I also race cars - autocross, teach car control clinics, and compete in the 24 Hours of LeMons series. I don't have my own race car yet but it's in the plans, so I wanted this vehicle to also tow. Finally, I go camping regularly, and I always thought it'd be nice to have a vehicle I can sleep in. Turns out vans were the same price or cheaper than comparable pickups and more practical!

After too much research, I decided that an E350 V10 was what I was looking for. Has the towing capacity I was looking for and a diesel was mostly out of my price range. After searching for a month or two, I found one about 400mi away from me - I flew down to it and drove it home!

It's a 2003 E350 V10 cargo van w/ power doors/locks/cruise, 3.73 LSD, aux battery, towing package! Lifted with the Action Vans kit including a steering stabilizer & 33" tires. 109k miles, picked it up for $5500.

So far I've added a nice reverse camera, in-dash nav. I've also changed the air filter, wipers, oil, & transmission fluid (18L, holy crap!). I also have a bunch of sound deadening & insulation waiting to install. After that I'll put down some plywood covered in indoor/outdoor carpet, some e-track to tie motorcycles down to, and some fold-down platforms that sit above the wheel wells to put a queen size air mattress on for camping.

Here are some pics:

I also ordered the personalized plate ADV VAN (adventure van) .

Old 03-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice van, enjoy!

(just be sure to put a BIG trans cooler on it, the 4R100 can get pretty warm when working)

Oh and contact Mike @ 5Star for some tuning and maybe a Y-pipe upgrade. (I think the pre04 V10s had some bottlenecked exhaust) You'll thank me

Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 PM
klinquist
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bbasso
nice van, enjoy!

(just be sure to put a BIG trans cooler on it, the 4R100 can get pretty warm when working)

Oh and contact Mike @ 5Star for some tuning and maybe a Y-pipe upgrade. (I think the pre04 V10s had some bottlenecked exhaust) You'll thank me

Thanks! Any pointers for a big tranny cooler?

I plan on giving Mike@5star a call. I need my speedo calibrated anyway with the big wheels, figure no better time to get a tune...

Old 03-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
I hear # LPD47391 Tru-Cool does really well, but no first hand experience.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:09 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Wow----that's a nice looking van for the initial price---good going! Sometimes what we want just isn't available locally so a bit of traveling for the right deal is the best thing to do. I'm looking myself for something slightly different than yours but searching online almost daily will lead to something I can't resist soon I'm sure.

Floor wise I'd used nothing less than 3/4 plywood but 1/2 seems to work well too---I like the ability to surface mount lighter duty items to the thicker flooring. Instead of using screws though the flooring through the van floor a few dabs of silicone sealer along the raised ribs worked perfect for me.

Curious what kind of insulation will you use on the upper walls? I used the bubble wrap variety with foil on one side and polyethylene on the other. Link: TempShield Double Bubble White with Foil Reflective Insulation I used a double layer, first cutting sections to go between the vertical ribs then a second layer to cover the sides and roof completely including the open areas just above the rear wheel wells.

All four rear area doors were stuffed full of pink unfaced fiberglass then covered with plywood cut and sanded smooth to fit the middle sections with that slight depression, where the factory installs their fiber board covers. (I simply copied that design but plywood is much more durable for a working type van.)

Along with better control of heat/cold transfer all this greatly reduces road noise. I added a movable curtain between the front and rear areas along with a rear heater, much like the factory uses. The curtain helps to heat and cool the front compartment---if you'll be retaining that extra seat it could be opened as needed. Then again maybe you just want to keep the passengers "in the dark" so to speak anyway?

Anyway nice going on a great purchase----and it looks very cool too!

Old 03-11-2012, 03:11 PM
klinquist
Junior User
Originally Posted by JWA
Wow----that's a nice looking van for the initial price---good going! Sometimes what we want just isn't available locally so a bit of traveling for the right deal is the best thing to do. I'm looking myself for something slightly different than yours but searching online almost daily will lead to something I can't resist soon I'm sure.

Floor wise I'd used nothing less than 3/4 plywood but 1/2 seems to work well too---I like the ability to surface mount lighter duty items to the thicker flooring. Instead of using screws though the flooring through the van floor a few dabs of silicone sealer along the raised ribs worked perfect for me.

Curious what kind of insulation will you use on the upper walls? I used the bubble wrap variety with foil on one side and polyethylene on the other. Link: TempShield Double Bubble White with Foil Reflective Insulation I used a double layer, first cutting sections to go between the vertical ribs then a second layer to cover the sides and roof completely including the open areas just above the rear wheel wells.

All four rear area doors were stuffed full of pink unfaced fiberglass then covered with plywood cut and sanded smooth to fit the middle sections with that slight depression, where the factory installs their fiber board covers. (I simply copied that design but plywood is much more durable for a working type van.)

Along with better control of heat/cold transfer all this greatly reduces road noise. I added a movable curtain between the front and rear areas along with a rear heater, much like the factory uses. The curtain helps to heat and cool the front compartment---if you'll be retaining that extra seat it could be opened as needed. Then again maybe you just want to keep the passengers "in the dark" so to speak anyway?

Anyway nice going on a great purchase----and it looks very cool too!

I picked up some SecondSkinAudio Damplifier Pro & Heat Wave Pro. I may do 1/2" plywood, then screw the e-track down to it, then put 1/4" plywood in between all the etrack so that it is slightly recessed.

The curtain is a good idea... I was thinking an RV-style one to cover the windshield and side windows for when I'm sleeping in the van.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:50 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
That's a great idea about the E Track---will give you a smooth flat floor but still have the E Track in place.

I use something similar to those RV privacy curtains when they're parked, just not as elaborate with the sliding fixed rails etc. A brand of sunshade called Intro-Tech is very heavy duty and cut specifically for your truck works wonders for the front. I then fashioned a pair of door glass covers from my TempShield insulation that installs by simply placing them between the door shell and body before closing the door.

BTW if the Intro-Tech shades are of any interest I've bought maybe 10 of them from this eBay seller: 100 CUSTOM Fit Sunshade - Custom Cut For YOUR Car items in Automotive Style store on eBay! They take your order but they're made and dropped shipped but even so this seller has about the best prices and service I've found on that brand.

Just a few ideas you might find helpful---hope to see your project, either in process or finished.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Motomedic
Freshman User
Hey klinquist- FYYFF!

(the ADV VAN plate gave you away)

And the sticker goes on the OTHER door!

Welcome to the wonderful world of van ownership. I've had my '05 V10 EB for a while- I think I even parked next to your van down in San Clemente when I was trying to decide if the lift was for me (in the end I just went with a < 2" lift).

Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 AM
klinquist
Junior User
Originally Posted by Motomedic
Hey klinquist- FYYFF!

(the ADV VAN plate gave you away)

And the sticker goes on the OTHER door!

Welcome to the wonderful world of van ownership. I've had my '05 V10 EB for a while- I think I even parked next to your van down in San Clemente when I was trying to decide if the lift was for me (in the end I just went with a < 2" lift).

Haha! Small world .

Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
I too am on ADV...

Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 PM
klinquist
Junior User
I too am on ADV...

Nice... I rode to Prudhoe this past summer on my VFR from San Jose..

My SCT programmer from 5star will be here Friday .

Old 03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
You'll be happy with the 5Star from Mike...
how far was that ride?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 PM
klinquist
Junior User
You'll be happy with the 5Star from Mike...
how far was that ride?
8800mi.

Two reasonable guys and one idiot on a VFR have dinner in Prudhoe. - ADVrider