Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser
Old 11-18-2014, 01:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

3 inch body lift are they sought after? Or bad news?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:47 PM
BignastyGS
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 inch body lift are they sought after? Or bad news?

I have a brand new 3 inch body lift for a 73-79 Styleside pickup that my dad bought to put on his truck. We never installed it and it's brand new in the box. I know some people think of them as a bad idea,but I'd like to sell it so I can scrape up some extra cash for my project. Another item is a non lighted visor. I have a real nice one and wont be using it as well. It would be a huge pain to ship though..Are they worth putting in the for sale forum?

Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
In what way have you heard they are bad news?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:01 PM
BignastyGS
Junior User
I have allot of buddies who are off roaders and a few have hit things kinda hard and the body shifted forward making some problems. I have this kit and a brand new setup for a Toyota pickup that I never installed on my Toyota..Hate to throw them out or get 20 bucks for them as they are brand new and complete..

Old 03-09-2012, 07:08 PM
crsweet78
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 3 inch body lift and have never had any problems. Dont do much off roading though. Any problems I had were with the stock body bushings, changed those out for polyurethane.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:32 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BignastyGS
I have allot of buddies who are off roaders and a few have hit things kinda hard and the body shifted forward making some problems.
OK Gotcha.
I don't think that is the kits problem.
Sounds like someone might have gone beyond the capabilities of there application.
Example would be choosing a 3 inch lift 'cause it may be a bit cheaper when you really need a 6 inch lift to negotiate the chosen terrain.
I run a 3 inch and have no problems.
However when I flex the front hard I do rub when turning.
But that is not the kits problem.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My opinion is they are bad news. It's been beaten to death on here & other forums so I'll leave it at that.

Some people use them & like them & they are fine. I will not put one on anything I own again (put one on my 1st truck years ago).

As for selling them - it's always worth a try. Throw them up on the classifieds here for a fair price & they should sell.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:55 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
It's been my experience every argument against body lifts, can also be made for suspension lifts as well. The bottom line is, if the complete kit is installed properly, there's no problems. I've beat the crap out of trucks with 3" body lifts and never had one shift a millimeter. That includes crushing cars and dancing sideways across ruts in mud pudding.

Any proper lift installed correctly will be fine. If you try to take short cuts on anything raising the center of gravity on the truck will create problems.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
CRAP
I read lift.
Not body lift.
My bad.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 PM
76Hauler
Elder User
eeeeewwwww

Old 03-10-2012, 04:38 AM
stephen.south
Senior User
I bought mine with a 3" body lift already on. PO had the front bumper off bc it wouldn't fit with the body lift. Plus he mutilated the fan shroud and the fan would still rub everytime I made a turn over 20 mph. I still clear 33" tires with no lift

Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Put them on the FTE classifieds and get you some truck cash. The guys that do not like them won't buy it, same goes for the visor (rust magnet IMO).

Your parts, your decision to sell, there's to buy, I think you should be ok and shipping on the visor is not that bad a deal.

Just have a price in mind to include shipping.....

Local "Craigslist" with do away with the hassle of shipping.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:28 AM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
Generally the idea is a 1-2 in body lift is not bad but anything over that cause certain issues to arise.

Mind you opinions are like .....

Old 03-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
My opinion is they are bad news. It's been beaten to death on here & other forums so I'll leave it at that.

Some people use them & like them & they are fine. I will not put one on anything I own again (put one on my 1st truck years ago).

As for selling them - it's always worth a try. Throw them up on the classifieds here for a fair price & they should sell.
That is 100% what I was going to post.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:41 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I like using body lifts for a few reasons. First of all there pretty easy to install. Second there cheap. Third they don't change your ride quality. And fourth it gives a little more room to work on your truck (things like bell housing bolts are easier to get at).
Now there's a couple of down sides to them (like most modifications). You will have to cut or lower your fan shroud. You will have to raise your bumpers, some kits come with brackets. And there will be a gap between your body and your frame witch some people don't like the look of. Also you will have to deal with things like tranny linkages, wires, and hoses.
Ive installed body lifts on three of my trucks and have never regretted it. Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:25 PM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by J ballan
I like using body lifts for a few reasons. First of all there pretty easy to install. Second there cheap. Third they don't change your ride quality. And fourth it gives a little more room to work on your truck (things like bell housing bolts are easier to get at).
Now there's a couple of down sides to them (like most modifications). You will have to cut or lower your fan shroud. You will have to raise your bumpers, some kits come with brackets. And there will be a gap between your body and your frame witch some people don't like the look of. Also you will have to deal with things like tranny linkages, wires, and hoses.
Ive installed body lifts on three of my trucks and have never regretted it. Hope this helps and good luck.
Pretty much covers most of the problems I was alluding too

Quick Reply: 3 inch body lift are they sought after? Or bad news?