1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Super Duty Platinum Revealed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:58 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
Noticed a lot of posters talking about price...there's no shortage of people with the funds needed to buy one of these trucks...also consider the value of the truck at the end of the loan say it was 60k initially 5-7 years later its reasonable to see the truck having a market value of 35k,40k,45k??? So then what was the true cost of ownership those 5-7 years...so while certainly not an investment to make money on you could make the case for 15-20k being a reasonable amount to pay to drive a NEW rig every 5 years or so...not to me tho cause I'm po
Yes, there are plenty of people out there that have more than enough money to afford a truck like this. However, people don't buy these type of trucks because of what they might be worth in a few years. They buy trucks like these because they can, no different than say a Mercedes or BMW. They are just a status symbol, most of them will never actually get used to do any real work.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:01 AM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd trade them 5 lbs of 'unique wood grain appliqués' for some decent rustproofing.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:59 PM
smcox1
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hell yeah that's nice!! I know what I will be buying now!!

Originally Posted by RAPR
meh, I still have that truck beat when it comes to Chrome
I think I have you beat on Chrome! LOL!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:27 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Smcox1 and rapr,
It's got you BOTH beat on SATIN chrome. Beat that!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:38 PM
rob7.3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

So I have my first two sons and my last daugter up for sale. Anyone interested. Just spec'ed out my new truck. HOLY CRAP $82,847. Looked at the dealer and told him to forget and went and bought a new 2000 bed and tailgate for 1100.00 and I will keep running my 396,532 mile 7.3 with everything factory except the water pump. Told my wife I would rebuild my 7.3 before I buy a new one. So now I am looking for a 7.3 to put in the barn to start rebuilding that way in another 400,000 miles I can just swap it our. GIVE ME A BREAK $83,000. DO I HAVE STUPID ON MY FOREHEAD

Old 03-13-2012, 06:44 PM
dejr2000
New User
^
I don't doubt that you got to that number but I doubt you were pricing a comparable truck to your 7.3. There are so many features available on the new ones that weren't even available 10 years ago. There are 65k trucks on the lot with a ton of options that are luxury options and nice but non-essential. How did you spec 83k?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MRyanF
Anyone remember what MSRP was on the top model in 1999?
I had an 02 with every option you could get except adjustable pedals and the sticker was about $44k IIRC. Comparing an 02 with a 13 platinum is apples to oranges though.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Originally Posted by MRyanF
There are things on it that I do and don't like, but I know I will never buy one. I know it will be at least $60,000. And I like lifted vehicles so add lift, wheels, tires, add $10,000. So your at $70,000 minimum. I don't know how anyone justifies that. I make good money, but that just doesn't make any sense. Even if you gross $100,000 per year, that makes about $80,000 best case after taxes, so $6500 per month, your payment on that vehicle is 21% of your net pay if you finance for 5 yrs! That percentage is closer to what your house payment should be by most financial guides. I see guys that I know making less than me driving these and I just shake my head.

Reality - buying a vehicle at this price is FINANCIAL SUICIDE for most people. This is why we have such a hard time getting a head in this country. We keep buying what we cant afford. Even if you can make the payment, that does not mean that you should buy this. Are the rest of your bill in check? Do you carry any credit card debt? If you lost your income for the next 6 months could your really make the payments and all your other bills too? For most people, me included, the answer is no. So I am not going to buy one. But many will.

I don't mind that Ford has been using the same basic cab structure since 99, but that fact should help REDUCE not increase pricing. Anyone remember what MSRP was on the top model in 1999?

I don't like being forced to buy option "packages" either. Let me pick what I do or dont want!
Thanks for the nice summary of my perception of how the Super Duty is heading off the financial cliff! I like my 7.3 but since driving my wife's 2010 F-150 Lariat I now realize I missed the mark and should've, couldah wouldah gotten the 2003 KR or Lariat at least. sigh...but I don't want it that (70k) bad! If I had that cash it would be in a 401 considering the direction of our nation.

Guess I'll lower the bar and settle for an 07' and mod the bugs out like the EGR and move on ....

Old 03-14-2012, 12:46 AM
ns870
New User
I'm sure that the Ford designers and engineers look at this site, so here's my opinion:

I could go either way on the front end/grille. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I think the tailgate on the truck in the photos is awful. Lose the white inset.

Finally, and most importantly (IMO): Please lose the plastic bed rails! If you do nothing else for the exterior styling of all future Ford trucks, for the love of God, please get rid of the plastic bed rails! I prefer spray on bedliners, and I use my truck as a truck. I carry heavy things and dirty things, odd shaped things and bulky things... I would prefer to have bedliner go over the rails and down the side of the bed a few inches to provide the best protection for my truck and my cargo.

As for the price, what can I say...Too Much! But I'm sure a comparable duramax or cummins would be the same. It would be an interesting economics study to see how many more units they would move if they could keep the price in the mid 30K range for a well equipped, nicely appointed truck. I'll tell you, I would be awfully tempted to trade my '04 if I could get a new one for 31K

Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
after adjusting for inflation, how does the price of a PSD XLT compare against a 2002 PSD XLT?

The sticker shock of the 2012/2013 models is bad, but is it really that bad once you equate the inflation?
Originally Posted by ns870
I'll tell you, I would be awfully tempted to trade my '04 if I could get a new one for 31K
as if Ford would ever do that

You can't even get into a F-150 XLT for that price unless you get the bare boned version

Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Tylus
after adjusting for inflation, how does the price of a PSD XLT compare against a 2002 PSD XLT?

The sticker shock of the 2012/2013 models is bad, but is it really that bad once you equate the inflation?

as if Ford would ever do that

You can't even get into a F-150 XLT for that price unless you get the bare boned version
is it that bad???? ah YEAH! my pay has not come close to inflation and hope no one here is naive enough to use the official gummet standard because those goobers leave out FOOD & FUEL out of the inflation index equation.... yeah anything for a vote ah huh....

Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 AM
sergbaja5t
Junior User
Originally Posted by kd0axs
Looks nice, too bad you will need a 30 year mortgage to buy one.
Yeah right no way in hell could I afford a new one in the wrapper!!!!!!!!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:49 AM
sergbaja5t
Junior User
Originally Posted by Psyclopse
I'm still not a fan of the "floor-to-ceiling" headlights nor the "high-def big-screen" grille.

If I was rich enough to buy this, I'd be paying a good body man to figure out how to do an 07 front-end conversion...
Its not that hard , maybe half days worth of work. I rather spend $3k on a update/remodel than spend the jack on a new one , maybe on a used one with one hell of a esp plan!!!!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 AM
hotrodracer
Senior User
Guess What?

Was, am, and will be a FORD trucker for the rest of my now 80 year life. But what tic's me off is the 'round' rear fender on the newer dually trucks. Look like the dumb Dodges of a few years back. What did FORD do, hire the Dodge design crew? Ridiculous I say. "IF" I was to buy a new one I would buy less the bed. Buy a earlier bed with the nicer looking fenders and mount it...

High price? I stick with the XT and add a few upgrades but still less than the King Ranch. The Platinum, Golden, or whatever they want to call the high end is for the high end buyer, i.e. the ones with the gold.

Still have my '88 F350 cc dually w/ the 6.9 motor. Main ride is '05 F350 6.0, crew cab, dually, that is undergoing Arp, SCT, Edge, BPD, etc, etc, in preparation for towing the race car trailer. As previous others have related, there is / was a great difference between the earlier 6.9/7.3 trucks and the later, like my '05 F350 and newer. I doubt if there is as much difference between the '05 and the 12 / 13's driving and comfort wise. I was amazed at the difference when I bought the '05. Have bought FORD since my first 1950 purchase, in 1950...

Bottom Line: FORD should get back to building FORD looking trucks, not the FORDGE's currently in production.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:39 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by rob7.3
So I have my first two sons and my last daugter up for sale. Anyone interested. Just spec'ed out my new truck. HOLY CRAP $82,847. Looked at the dealer and told him to forget and went and bought a new 2000 bed and tailgate for 1100.00 and I will keep running my 396,532 mile 7.3 with everything factory except the water pump. Told my wife I would rebuild my 7.3 before I buy a new one. So now I am looking for a 7.3 to put in the barn to start rebuilding that way in another 400,000 miles I can just swap it our. GIVE ME A BREAK $83,000. DO I HAVE STUPID ON MY FOREHEAD

Really??? $83k? Gosh...you must have added every single option to get that price. A nice equipt 6.7L XLT can run $45 - $55K....yes they cost...but def not in the $83k range.

Now...I do think you have the right idea if you are going to keep the 7.3L. Def spend that cash on a rebuilt...and have her ready if needed.

biz

Quick Reply: 2013 Super Duty Platinum Revealed!