Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Reload this Page >

2012 F250 SuperDuty 6.2L 4.30 -- Ordered

Notices
6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

2012 F250 SuperDuty 6.2L 4.30 -- Ordered

Old 03-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Powelligator
Senior User
Powelligator is starting off with a positive reputation.
My local dealer told me that any SuperCab with an 8' bed is a special order only for them. So I ordered what I wanted. Wouldn't have been a problem but then I found out that the fleet guy (who does the ordering) screwed up and didn't put the order in. Sigh. Looks like I'll wait for a 2013 or find a new dealer or both.

Joe

Old 03-24-2012, 12:59 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Originally Posted by Powelligator View Post
My local dealer told me that any SuperCab with an 8' bed is a special order only for them. So I ordered what I wanted. Wouldn't have been a problem but then I found out that the fleet guy (who does the ordering) screwed up and didn't put the order in. Sigh. Looks like I'll wait for a 2013 or find a new dealer or both.

Joe

Oh man...what a raw deal!

Definitely find a new dealer...but the ordering banks for the 2013 don't open until May or June...so even a longer wait. Although the MyFord Touch option for the 2013 seems really cool.

Good luck...

biz

Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Nadster
Freshman User
Nadster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Powelligator View Post

Joe
Don't get discouraged. Just go to another dealer. With internet pricing they all give pretty much the same deal. When I ordered earlier this month I thought that they would be taking orders for the 2013 by then. Nope not until May or so. I couldn't find anything on the internet about a redesign or major updates for 2013 so I went ahead and ordered the 2012.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:10 PM
powderjunky
New User
powderjunky is starting off with a positive reputation.
So here's the deal...I've ordered a truck that I thought would suit my needs on Feb 22. I still have to vin and no eta. Apparently, the hold up its the 3.73 gears. In my time waiting I have considered going to the 4.30's and also considered going to the diesel. I'm starting to freak out. Give me you're opinions. I use this truck for work and I typically tow a 3500lb trailer 40% of the time.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Nadster
Freshman User
If it were me I would wait for what I ordered unless you need delivery of the truck sooner than later. I would think the delay wouldn't be long unless the 3.73 gears are on a slow boat from China.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:57 AM
2000silverbullet
Post Fiend
2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
I'd have gone with the 4.30's if you're towing that frequently, but that's just me. I hardly ever tow and went with the 4.30's.

The 6.2 will have NO problems pulling that weight (do a search from the last ohio truck meet, you can see me dragging 15k lbs flatout up a long/steep hill). Oh yeah, and it did it in almost the same time as the new 6.7... Just sayin'...

Here's the ohio truck meet thread, the videos and results are in it:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-videos.html

Last edited by 2000silverbullet; 03-25-2012 at 05:59 AM. Reason: added link for ohio truck meet
Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 AM
powderjunky
New User
I agree that it will tow just as much as the 6.7l, but I'm not impressed the fuel mileage! I need to be sure that I prep for the future. This will not be a throw away truck. My first FORD too!

Old 03-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Nadster
Freshman User
Originally Posted by powderjunky View Post
I agree that it will tow just as much as the 6.7l, but I'm not impressed the fuel mileage! I need to be sure that I prep for the future. This will not be a throw away truck. My first FORD too!
My decision to go with a gas engine over a diesel had little to do with mileage cost. I keep my vehicles a long time and consider long term maintenance costs in whatever mileage gain there is in running a diesel engine. I don't need the low end grunt of a diesel since I don't plan to be pulling anything heavy or often enough to warrant the extra 400 lbs-ft of torque. The price difference in oil changes alone would more than satisfy my financial concerns with the fuel cost per mile between gas and diesel over the 10 years I plan to keep the vehicle. The diesel engine option costs more than $5300 over the gas engine. I would have to put around 75,000 miles on the diesel engine just to break even using a 5 mi/gal mileage advantage of the diesel with a 50% cost increase disadvantage for an oil/filter/DEF change over the same mileage interval. There are also other repair costs with diesel versus a gas engine I have to consider once I reach break even at 75,000 miles.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:02 PM
powderjunky
New User
Nadster, I appreciate your reply. The only other reason i'm seriously considering is that they're starting to liquidate trucks on the lot. My ordered gasser is an out of pocket of $39000. I found a similar diesel for $40000. This makes the argument much more difficult.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:06 PM
fordmdb
PREMIUM SPONSOR
fordmdb has a great reputation on FTE.fordmdb has a great reputation on FTE.fordmdb has a great reputation on FTE.fordmdb has a great reputation on FTE.fordmdb has a great reputation on FTE.
hi biz4two
what are you going to tow with your new on order truck?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/5-Sta...92086367552400
Old 03-25-2012, 02:11 PM
snelldawg
Elder User
snelldawg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Powderjunky,
Before I ordered mine the 2011's diesels were 10k off sticker. I had to think about it for awhile. The diesel is complete overkill for me. And a lot of my driving is short trips. But it was hard to not consider since I felt like I was getting more bang for my buck.

I ordered the 6.2 with the 3.73 gears since I wanted the better mpg on the highway.

For stop and go driving, I think the mpg is very similiar between then 3.73 and 4.30. If you are pulling that trailer locally I would opt for the 4.30 gears.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Nadster
Freshman User
Originally Posted by powderjunky View Post
Nadster, I appreciate your reply. The only other reason i'm seriously considering is that they're starting to liquidate trucks on the lot. My ordered gasser is an out of pocket of $39000. I found a similar diesel for $40000. This makes the argument much more difficult.
Yeah, I can see your quandry here. All things being equal I'd be tempted to get the diesel myself. Once it's out of warranty if you don't do the work yourself find a good independent diesel shop to keep your maintenance and repairs up.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Originally Posted by fordmdb View Post
hi biz4two
what are you going to tow with your new on order truck?

Hi...

Great question! I'm going to tow my 7'x20' LOOK Cargo trailer with a GVWR of 7000 lbs. primarily. However...from time to time...I'll be towing a 16ft 14k goose dump trailer...as well.

The LOOK trailer is for pleasure. It houses my 2ea 2-up atv's and 1 sport...plus all the necessary gear. Lots of fun...but long hauls when we do tow. Usually run 2 -- 4 hrs each way...for the shorter trips. When we leave the state...we're looking at 10 hr trips.

I know the 6.2L would handle these weights running the 3.73's...but I opted for the 4.30 due to the extreme high elevations. Going from about 5400 ft ...up to 10,000 and 12,000 ft...is where the 4.30's will shine. Plus...if I decide to plus 1 the tire size...I'll be set.

I'm really excited about it!

biz

Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 PM
biz4two
Post Fiend
Thumbs up 1st week of April

Originally Posted by biz4two View Post
2012 F250 SuperDuty 4x4 6.2L 4.30

--------------
Configuration:
==========

2012 F250 SuperDuty 4x4
Oxford white w/ Pale Adobe (two tone)
6.2L and 4.30 E-lock diff
Lariat CC 156" wb
FX4 Offroad 4x4 Pkg
Camper Pkg
Lariat Interior Pkg
5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Pkg
Bodyside molding
Roof Clearance Lights
Tailgate Step
5" Chrome Tubular Step Bars
18" Cast Alum wheels
Upfitter Switches
Navigation System
Leather Bucket Seats with Console
Adobe Interior Color

====== END ==============

I think I listed everything. SUPER excited to take delivery...

biz

UPDATE:
========

Ok...received a call from the dealer over the weekend...and was told that my truck will be built the 1st week of April.

YIPPIE!!!

Now...I'm actually getting ready to start my minor but short MOD's list.

biz

Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 AM
2000silverbullet
Post Fiend
2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by biz4two View Post
Ok...received a call from the dealer over the weekend...and was told that my truck will be built the 1st week of April.

YIPPIE!!!

Now...I'm actually getting ready to start my minor but short MOD's list.

biz
Nice! Did your window sticker show up yet (online)?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 F250 SuperDuty 6.2L 4.30 -- Ordered

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: