Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RDS Kit install on 2011-12

Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 AM
DrillbitTailor
Junior User
DrillbitTailor is starting off with a positive reputation.
RDS Kit install on 2011-12

I am specifically looking for somebody who has installed a gravity flow RDS 37 gallon or similar tank with the RDS diesel install kit on a 2011 or 2012 set up as the DEF tank and placement of the fuel nozzle is very different than in my 2000. I have a 37 gal RDS tank as it fits undr my roll and lock and consumes very little extra space. The line comes out the bottom corner of the drivers side of the tank. On the 2000, I drilled a hole for the 3/8 line through the very corner of the box, but due to the different fuel nozzle location that looks like a bad location on my new 2012. It also appears there is more 1.5" rubber tube coming from the fuel tank now than in 2000, so it looks like I could simply cut some of that off to install my "T" instead of having to hacksaw off part of the metal filler neck.
So, I would love to hear how anyone else has done it with the same set up. I do not want to make a mistake when drilling holes in my brand new truck or sawing off my fuel filler neck!

Old 03-09-2012, 03:11 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
Sorry, out of my league, but you could always call your rds mfg or look on their website, they might be able to help... especially if you talk to their sales dept

http://www.openrangeowners.com/ORfor...hp?f=26&t=2034

Old 03-09-2012, 04:26 PM
kmrgeorge
Junior User
kmrgeorge is starting off with a positive reputation.
I took the RDS tank out of my 05 and installed it in my 11. Very easy just look at it twice before you drill. I put a fuel water seperator between the tank and the truck tank, just a little insuance to keep any moisture out of the system

Old 03-09-2012, 07:53 PM
jim48
Elder User
jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.
I've done it twice. Once on my 04 F250 and recently on my 2011 F350.

This time I installed a 60 gal RDS tank. I use the gravity feed fitting. However I also use a 12 volt fuel shutoff valve which is hooked to upfitter swithch #3. And I use a Wix fuel filter/water separator and a Airtex fuel pump.

I have an AutoMeter fuel gauge on the dash and it is wired to give me fuel levels in the aux tank when upfitter #3 is energized.

I have a chassis cab. So, with the 40 gal aft tank and the 60 gal RDS the 100 gallons gives me a long range. Like I said I've done this twice and it works great. The RDS dumps into the aft stock tank.

Hope this helps....

Jim

Old 03-09-2012, 08:00 PM
marine57_4
Junior User
marine57_4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by DrillbitTailor View Post
I am specifically looking for somebody who has installed a gravity flow RDS 37 gallon or similar tank with the RDS diesel install kit on a 2011 or 2012 set up as the DEF tank and placement of the fuel nozzle is very different than in my 2000. I have a 37 gal RDS tank as it fits undr my roll and lock and consumes very little extra space. The line comes out the bottom corner of the drivers side of the tank. On the 2000, I drilled a hole for the 3/8 line through the very corner of the box, but due to the different fuel nozzle location that looks like a bad location on my new 2012. It also appears there is more 1.5" rubber tube coming from the fuel tank now than in 2000, so it looks like I could simply cut some of that off to install my "T" instead of having to hacksaw off part of the metal filler neck.
So, I would love to hear how anyone else has done it with the same set up. I do not want to make a mistake when drilling holes in my brand new truck or sawing off my fuel filler neck!
i bought my rds 90 gallon tank for my 05, than installed it in my 08, and now my 11. i used the diesel kit and since the plug is located towards the back of the pickup i drilled a hole about midway of the tank. the diesel kit comes with an adapter which you install on the rubber hose. i cut a piece out of the hose to compensated for the adapter and placed it between the rubber hose pieces. i installed a fuel filter between the tanks. i plan to replace with a water separator/filter in the future. it was fairly simple and easy. good luck.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 PM
DrillbitTailor
Junior User
Thanks all. I got it installed tonight, just a couple of details yet to do. The RDS kit had very crappy crooked cut and too short of pieces of 1.5 inch hose. Cant get my fuel filter to fit due to space limitations with where I had to drill hole. I'll figure out something although in 12 years I never saw water or anything else in the clear glass filter on my 2000.

BTW I used the tailgate step for a bunch of trips in and out of the box. It is great. I thought I did't want it, but I really like it.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Gunny77
Senior User
Gunny77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great timing on this subject. I have been thinking about this setup for a while. With all the HPFP issues being discussed and several comments on how to better protect the HPFP, I think an Aux tank with a better quality in line fuel/water separator is better way to go. Essentially you will never fill the truck through the factory fill neck, run all the fuel into the aux tank and in line filter. Side benefit, more driving range and a tool box to boot.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 AM
jim48
Elder User
jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.jim48 has a good reputation on FTE.
I use a Wix filter/water separator base and a Wix screw on fuel filter. The housing has a manual petcock on the bottom of the filter to drain contents. It is large so I mounted it, 12 volt shutoff valve, Airtex pump all to heavy piece of aluminum plate then made right angle aluminum to mount the whole plate to outside of left side frame member. It is very easy to get to for draining. Never had anything in it, but drain all pet***** into clear Mason jar, leave overnight then check for any contaminents. Same procedure for the factory drains. I've had none, and want to keep it that way.

If anyone wants to know the wix filter base and filter/water separator number, let me know and I'll look for the part numbers and where I ordered the parts.............

Jim

Old 03-10-2012, 05:11 PM
marine57_4
Junior User
marine57_4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jim48 View Post
I use a Wix filter/water separator base and a Wix screw on fuel filter. The housing has a manual petcock on the bottom of the filter to drain contents. It is large so I mounted it, 12 volt shutoff valve, Airtex pump all to heavy piece of aluminum plate then made right angle aluminum to mount the whole plate to outside of left side frame member. It is very easy to get to for draining. Never had anything in it, but drain all pet***** into clear Mason jar, leave overnight then check for any contaminents. Same procedure for the factory drains. I've had none, and want to keep it that way.

If anyone wants to know the wix filter base and filter/water separator number, let me know and I'll look for the part numbers and where I ordered the parts.............

Jim
yes, i am interested in the part numbers for the wix base and filter. thank you

Old 03-10-2012, 05:55 PM
kmrgeorge
Junior User
kmrgeorge is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used a racor setup from Jamestown Dist., its part # is RAC-110a. It was a simple install just 2 sheet metal screws and its ready to hook up.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 PM
jim48
Elder User
Here is a list of items I used:

Airtex Pump--E8153
Wix Filter Mounting Base--24309
Wix Spin on Fuel/Water Separator--33123
AutoMeter Fuel Gauge

RDS provided the electric fuel pickup, fittings, locking fuel cap and great advice on the install. They are great people!!!

I hope this helps, my system works great. Fuel transfer is faster than I can burn the fuel out while towing. And when not towing it is really quick. Like I said I did install a 12 volt fuel shutoff valve as well. I had the first RDS tank hooked up gravity feed. Thou I was happy with that install, I decided to do a fuel pump on this install. I now have positive "in cab" control of fuel levels and transfers.

Good Luck

Jim

Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 PM
bunklash
Elder User
bunklash is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here, but need some help on the same subject. I came into a 36 gallon aux. tank, so ordered the RDS transfer kit. Got the tank installation all set up, but decided to test the transfer kit before installation. Long story short, the shut-off valve did not work with water. I'm going to call RDS tomorrow, but was hoping for some useful info from ya'll.

Added: Would like to learn more about the electric pump installation. I'm worried about accidental overfill with a pump.

'Preciate it!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM
DrillbitTailor
Junior User
No idea how relevant the test was or was not, but i can report mine works great with no pump just gravity as designed. No overfill even with a full aux tank.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 PM
jim48
Elder User
I used the RDS gravity for 7 years on the 04 F250 and it worked fine. However on the 2011 F350 I used an Airtex pump, 12 volt shutoff and AutoMeter fuel gauge. All hooked to upfitters. I've never overfilled, I have a bright LED hooked to the AutoMeter fuel gauge on the dash, you can't miss it when the pump is running the LED is illuminated. Hope this helps...

Jim

Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 PM
bunklash
Elder User
bunklash is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Follow-up on the water tank test. I called RDS speaking to a very helpful Ray. He assured me once installed, it will work. He wasn't wrong! One thing I think they should emphasize to purchasers is that the OEM cap must be kept on. Even though it's a vented cap, Ray said the added back-pressure makes all the difference. I'm wondering if that was the cause of some people's reported overflows.

Anyway, thanks for you input guys. I'm very pleased with the new set-up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RDS Kit install on 2011-12

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: