1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mustang II power rack replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 AM
RLanni
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang II power rack replacement

My mechanic friend replaced the power rack and pinion on my 53 f-100. We didn't realize the original rack had a 4 inch extension from Fatman on it. We purchased and installed a new 4 inch extension on the new rack - but the wheels are still not aligned right. Are there differenct tie rods that are required to make this work? Any suggestions would be great.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
well there are two different arrangements of the rack.. centered, and offset

on centered you need TWO extensions, or two elongated tierod ends
on offset you need ONE extension..

I have centered on both my trucks.. one has the extensions, (three different below)
Inner Tie Rod Extention Kit - Speedway Mustang II Manual Rack - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop
Mustang II, T-Bird Inner Tie Rod Extension - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop
Garage Sale - 2 Inch Tie Rod Extensions, Mustang II/T-Bird Power Rack - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop
and one has the longer tierod ends..
Mustang II Extended-Length Outer Tie Rod End - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop
sounds like you have the offset type rack if u have only one extension.
A centered rack will NOT work on an offset rack chassis (and vice versa)

Sam

Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 AM
RLanni
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks sdetweil. Can you tell me how to identify\confirm that I have a centered or offset chassis? My mechanic called Fatman and they told him that the rack part number is correct for their mustang II. Apparently they never mentioned center vs offset options. Thanks again for all your help. If possible can my mechanic call you with a question (if not, I understand) - he is pulling his hair out on this one.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:53 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by RLanni
Thanks sdetweil. Can you tell me how to identify\confirm that I have a centered or offset chassis? My mechanic called Fatman and they told him that the rack part number is correct for their mustang II. Apparently they never mentioned center vs offset options. Thanks again for all your help. If possible can my mechanic call you with a question (if not, I understand) - he is pulling his hair out on this one.
as I understand it, the mount points on the centered rack are centered on the cross member, while the offset version has them offset to one side. I have never seen an offset version myself, but there was someone here that had one.
this is that thread, and a set of measurements I (and others) made
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9147582

Sam

Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by RLanni
and yes, I will talk to whoever.. my email is this same userid on gmail.

you don't have 25 posts on FTE yet, so you cannot send or receive private messages here, or send email thru here (prevents spam bots from abusing FTE)

Sam