6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2012 F350 Pulling to Right when Braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 889 Likes on 322 Posts
Based on your comments, maybe something changed. I guess keep an eye on it. If it starts again, demand they do something, as it is dangerous if it pulls at much as you say above 25 mph.

if you were driving on icy roads it would be more dangerous yet.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:58 AM
New Ford Man
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My New F350 6.7 pulls to the left continously I am betting on a hung caliper when I drove it home the first time I could smell brakes I just assumed it because it was new but now I have 1400 miles and it tugs the wheel to the left every time.... I will take it in to the dealer and I will get a fiesta to drive home and pull my trailer with in return.... LOL

Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 AM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jaybread
Park your truck at an Obama rally and it will quit pulling to the right!!
Now that is funny, I had a good laugh there.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 PM
FishingNut
Elder User
Well guess what?

The damn thing was pulling right...hard enough that if I let go of the steering wheel it pulled me over to the next lane on the highway!
So I stopped on the side of the road and checked the heat of all the wheels and they were hot, but not too hot to touch. Fronts were a bit warmer than the rears which is typical so I carried on driving home. On the way I waited until there was no one around me before attempting the following:
Tap the brakes fairly hard to see if that corrected the problem....no
My wife witnessed this and was also convinced it was not normal.

Since the issue in the early days it never really reared it's ugly head after the visit to the dealer for the no fault found, so I passed it off as a fluke. Well based on some of the other posts here (searched for "caliper" on the 6.7 forum) this is not a fluke and I will get it in to be looked at ASAP. Need an oil change anyway

Keep you all posted!

Trent310, Michael53 - how are your brakes doing?

Anybody else lately?

Left Front

Right Front

Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM
FishingNut
Elder User
Bump...Anyone have any comments on the how the disks look?

Old 06-27-2012, 01:17 PM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribing. i have a left pull and my front end shop took out some right caster to make the truck track straight. I haven't looked at my disks, but may do that this weekend and see if they look similar to yours.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:03 PM
FishingNut
Elder User
Originally Posted by jlalanas
Subscribing. i have a left pull and my front end shop took out some right caster to make the truck track straight. I haven't looked at my disks, but may do that this weekend and see if they look similar to yours.
Just scheduled it in tomorrow AM, will post outcome.

But I am still looking for feedback from those more knowledgeable than me on the subject so I can be well informed before dropping it off.

An additional note: I have to drive several miles in city traffic to get it to do it, so heat is definitely a factor

Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 PM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FishingNut
Just scheduled it in tomorrow AM, will post outcome.

But I am still looking for feedback from those more knowledgeable than me on the subject so I can be well informed before dropping it off.

An additional note: I have to drive several miles in city traffic to get it to do it, so heat is definitely a factor
Interesting, I don't think that is the case with mine. Mine just seems to have a left pull all the time. On local two way roads, the truck holds the crown or may ride down the crown, but in the left lane on a highway, it always wants to go left.

Good luck at the dealer with this.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:04 PM
FishingNut
Elder User
Originally Posted by jlalanas
Interesting, I don't think that is the case with mine. Mine just seems to have a left pull all the time. On local two way roads, the truck holds the crown or may ride down the crown, but in the left lane on a highway, it always wants to go left.

Good luck at the dealer with this.
That was kinda what I noticed with mine when it was pulling to the left initially, so I thought it was just the road pitch doing it.

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It hasn't done it again for me but I still have a new caliper on order and they will change it out under warranty for me once it shows up. It got hot enough to turn the rotors a blueish hue and the dust cover over the pistons is melted but so far the seal has been holding up and not losing brake fluid.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:39 PM
FishingNut
Elder User
OK here is the update.

Picked up the truck yesterday afternoon and it no longer pulls to the left

They basically greased the pins (there was verbiage about removing clips and so forth - did not want to bore you with what was removed as it was obvious it was to remove the the caliper).

But I have noticed that it appears I am back to the initial problem of it pulling slightly to the right.
It is more evident the harder you brake (bear in mind that it is much easier to tell if you are not holding tightly onto the steering wheel).

Now I did ask them to check both fronts....but the paper work did not indicate that they did the passenger front, just said that a test drive confirmed that it no longer pulled to the left.
It could be that they can only do one thing at a time on a service ticket maybe?

Anyway, It is no where near as severe as the pulling left problem was, so I want to get a little more seat time first before I pass judgement if it is just normal or an issue.

Here is the rub....truck is in tomorrow for the air bags and compressor and then tuesday it's off to the cabin in the mountains.
Luckily I am not towing or hauling anything (again ...but maybe that's a good thing at the moment) up or back.

BUT....I might just haul that big azz 14' boat....should I be concerned????

Seriously...Everybody have a nice holiday weekend(s)

Old 06-29-2012, 02:48 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,969 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Originally Posted by FishingNut
BUT....I might just haul that big azz 14' boat....should I be concerned????
Provided the console safe arrives before you put the boat in there, I'm sure it will be safe. That safe looked pretty secure.

P.S. Glad the truck is no longer pulling and I hope the bag installation goes smooth tomorrow!

Old 06-29-2012, 03:20 PM
FishingNut
Elder User
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
Provided the console safe arrives before you put the boat in there, I'm sure it will be safe. That safe looked pretty secure.

Now that there was funny.....

P.S. Glad the truck is no longer pulling and I hope the bag installation goes smooth tomorrow!

Thanks Savage!

Too hot to mess with loading and weighing Sunday...gonna wait until it is below 110 at least
10 Characters

Old 06-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Michael53
Senior User
FishingNut,
I had pretty much the same issue as you a few weeks ago- pulling hard right. The dealer found one left caliper piston cracked and the other one leaking- 5 month old truck, 10K miles. They checked the right side front caliper which also appeared to be defective. Replaced both front calipers and turned the rotors on the truck. All has been fine since.

Here is the thread on this I started: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-problem.html

Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 AM
onealsf350
New User
mine too!

I've taken it to Ford twice about this same issue. I took delivery of the truck 4 weeks ago, and noticed that it pulled to the right when I brake maybe a few days after I got it. (only 200 miles on it at that time)
The first time I took it to the dealer, they said "yep, it a stuck caliper, we replaced it with new pads, that was the first we've heard of that issue"
So for a few days at the most, it was fine, I didn't notice it pulling. Then it started again while I was pulling a trailer (only pulling like 7-8,000 lbs.)
I took it to them this week and they are saying that it's just a characteristic of the truck and that it's sensitive to the crown in the road. ????? hmmmm, not sure what to do or think. Maybe get another dealers opinion??
I notice my fuel mileage went down too! Even after I reset and watched how I drove.

Quick Reply: 2012 F350 Pulling to Right when Braking