6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

The Coolant Leak Blues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Coolant Leak Blues...

Hey guys- looking for some pointers here.

I've had a slow coolant drip on my truck for a few weeks now, and this past weekend I took an educated shot in the dark and put a new water pump on it sight unseen. Unfortunately, it's turned out not to be my problem as the drip has resurfaced today.

At quitting time today, I am going to change into street clothes and pull the truck into the shop here at work to install a Mag-Hytec diff cover and I'm going to take another peek at the leak to see if I can determine where it's coming from. I'm hoping that maybe you guys can give me some places to look and try and narrow this done.

What I've got is a coolant drip that is running down the front of the motor and coming down the passenger side of the balancer. The coolant trickle is running right over what I believe to be the LPOP on the passenger side of the balancer. It then drips off the front edge of the oil pan onto the ground. With everything being so tight in that engine compartment, I took for granted it was a water pump since I have 100k miles and that's how I ended up replacing it on Sunday (took me under 2 hours- I was feeling pretty good about that!). I've been keeping an eye on the truck and saw no drips until after I got to work this morning.

I went ahead and got under the truck this morning and tried like hell to look up from the bottom (truck has 8" lift so I can get under there), and the farthest point up that I could find fluid was still on the passenger side up near the top of the front cover. Hopefully this evening when I am not wearing a shirt and tie I will be able to look in from the top and maybe see where exactly it is coming from.

Based on this description, do you guys have any pointers on where I should look for the leak?

Some quick facts on the truck- 100k miles, original owner, got the full Bulletproof kit with oil cooler and heavy duty EGR cooler installed 1 year ago(which brought the new blue EGR coolant hose), no codes present, no puking from coolant bottle, no overheating, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, switched to ELC CAT-approved Zerex coolant after Bulletproofing.

As always, thanks for the help!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:59 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Between the blue upper CAC boot, alternator, and oil filter cap you can barely see the hose clamp for the return line from what I think is the EGR cooler. Just outside the alternator is the line to the heater valve, it has a fitting in it. Check those is my uneducated guess. Someone smarter will be around shortly.

Originally Posted by Tampa250
install a Mag-Hytec diff cover

Can I ask you a favor?..... can you put some pics of it once it's installed? Are you using the o-ring, or are you going to RTV it on?

Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel

Between the blue upper CAC boot, alternator, and oil filter cap you can barely see the hose clamp for the return line from what I think is the EGR cooler. Just outside the alternator is the line to the heater valve, it has a fitting in it. Check those is my uneducated guess. Someone smarter will be around shortly.

Can I ask you a favor?..... can you put some pics of it once it's installed? Are you using the o-ring, or are you going to RTV it on?

Thanks for the reply.

Well I took another look tonight and couldn't make anything out. I could see. The red coolant all the way up on the front of the motor when I was standing on my passenger tire. The front portion of the intake was precluding me from seeing high enough on the engine to see where the coolant is coming from. The valley looked dry.

Oh well, guess I will keep on looking

P.S. I will post pics of the diff cover tomorrow when I am at work.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Tampa if its the EGR cooler hose it useally runs off the back of the motor. Just a thought but check your hoses , the big ones upper and lower mine are dripping saw it while looking at my power steering pump hose leak .

Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Change the clamp at the t-stat. I had a leak there that no matter where I looked I couldn't see where it was coming from. I changed my clamp to a worm drive and no more leak. The squeeze type that's there I think may get weak over time.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 AM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Yep what unreal said that where mine is dripping ,also going to worm drive clamp.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:38 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by wulfman
Tampa if its the EGR cooler hose it usually runs off the back of the motor.......
Agreed. Another thing is the donut gasket where the intake mates to the front of the motor. That might be difficult to see regardless.....

Old 03-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Agreed. Another thing is the donut gasket where the intake mates to the front of the motor. That might be difficult to see regardless.....

Is this as much of a bear to change out as it sounds? I am not familiar with this gasket...

Old 03-08-2012, 05:36 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Is this as much of a bear to change out as it sounds? I am not familiar with this gasket...
It will require removal of the intake manifold and everything associated with it. As close as I can tell you it's basically directly UNDER the EGR valve between the intake and the block......

Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Yep it will be a MF

Old 03-08-2012, 06:37 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Well I took another look tonight and couldn't make anything out. I could see. The red coolant all the way up on the front of the motor when I was standing on my passenger tire. The front portion of the intake was precluding me from seeing high enough on the engine to see where the coolant is coming from. The valley looked dry.

Oh well, guess I will keep on looking

P.S. I will post pics of the diff cover tomorrow when I am at work.
Why are you running a red coolant in a 6.0??

Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Originally Posted by 69cj
Why are you running a red coolant in a 6.0??
Zerex CAT approved ELC- known good stuff on this site. When I Bulletproofed the truck last year I ran like hell from the Ford Gold and never looked back.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts