Sponsored by: Moser

78' F150 xlt. Replacing Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Idaho_truck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
78' F150 xlt. Replacing Engine

I have a 1978 F150 xlt which had a 400 big block in it. I have had the pickup for a couple years and it has had no problems what so ever. Recently, on a trip back from school to home the engine took a dump on me and now I need to replace the engine.
I do not know much about the different engines for this pickup, but I have done some research and I think i am between the 460, the 302, or even the 300.
The 460 is what I want to put in it, just because I am a college student, and I will do anything to get more power in my rig ... but i know that the mpg would kill me in the long haul. The 302 I do not know much about, A buddie of mine had one in a newer 90's ford and that thing was in the shop more than on the road... And the 300 i know nothing about...

So I know that everyone on here has some great input and ideas that could be very helpful. . .

What engine would you replace my old 400 with?
Roughly how much does it cost to buy a rebuilt engine, and install it myself.
any other input, problems ?

Thanks a lot

~ Poor college kid

Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 PM
FineSeventyNine
Tennessee Hillbilly

Doing it on the cheap.......find a good used running 400 or even a 351 and go back with it.

A 460 will eat your fuel budget alive....especially when gas goes to $5 a gallon.

Changing size will require changing other stuff...motor mounts, etc...which will all add up to $$$$$ in the end, plus if you don't have the experience or skill to do it, then you gotta find some help or pay...

Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with Fine 79, Go back as stock as possible,then a few years from now upgrade when your pocket can afford it.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 PM
mjshagnasty
Senior User
Ive heard that the 302 are not that great of a truck motor to begin with, but i feel you I'm in college too and i know what it means to be on a budget. I recently just blew some funds on a truck that im going to take what i need and try to flip the rest. If i were you i would try to find a cheap 400m replacement and if your other one had any go fast goodies swap those parts over. Then find a decent 460 and very slowly start the engine build.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM
thekingofcows
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
302s 300s and 351ws would not be a good budget swap. They require a different bellhousing not to mention motor mounts and all of that headache.

While I agree with fineseventynine about keeping it stock, I do disagree with the MPGs, I have seen no real drop in MPGs between a 351m-400 or 460, and have owned all of them, and compared, but that has just been my experience.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM
FineSeventyNine
Tennessee Hillbilly

!

Originally Posted by thekingofcows
302s 300s and 351ws would not be a good budget swap. They require a different bellhousing not to mention motor mounts and all of that headache.

While I agree with fineseventynine about keeping it stock, I do disagree with the MPGs, I have seen no real drop in MPGs between a 351m-400 or 460, and have owned all of them, and compared, but that has just been my experience.
I guess what I was tryin' to say was that when you build a good stout 460, if you're like me, you like to push down hard on the skinny pedal....THEN is when the MPG goes down the crapper.....!

Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Swapping in a similar motor like a 351M or back to a 400 will be the quickest and simplest IMO. A reman 400 long block could run you a ? Here is a quick internet search.

Advanced Auto
Spartan/ATK Engines Spartan Remanufactured Ford Engine Part No. DFE4 Long block $1,480.00

"Block Cast # D1AE, D4AE, D7TE; Crank Cast # 5MAB; Left Head Cast # D1AE, D4AE, D5AE; Right Head Cast # D1AE, D4AE, D5AE; NO VALLEY PAN GASKET; NO SMOG IN HEAD. Must Verify VIN Before Ordering. Call Spartan at (866) 360-4101 With Any Questions."

All you outer stuff (intake, carb, distributor, water pump exhaust manifolds ect....) will have to be moved.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Idaho_truck
New User
Thanks for all the information.

So im guessing a 460 would mount up differently ?
My 400 only got around 9 mpg so i am not too worried about a low fuel milage motor...

Are the 400's well built engines?
the one I had seemed to be fairly well built, it was dependable everyday, fired right up and had no problems no matter what I did to it... it seemed to lack in power but that might have been because it was running on its last days....?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 PM
mjshagnasty
Senior User
the 400 was a smog motor so with a cam swap and a strait up timing chain it should waken up some

Old 03-06-2012, 05:34 PM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Surprised this didn't become a debate as to whether the 400 is a big or small block. Haha. I suggest Pick n pull'n what ever you go with... Way Cheaper than the rebuilt ones from the parts store.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:17 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
The 400 transmission should bolt up to a 460 but you would need different "towers" and motor mounts I believe? Also make sure its a truck 460 (rear sump oil pan) and the correct exhaust manifolds (car 460 ones are different) and cause people to think they need to notch the top of the passenger side frame rail DUH.

Also if you get a pick n pull moter make sure it comes with a 30 or 60 day run warranty? How bad did your old moter "dump" on you? Rod thru the block, death rattle, just die?

Maybe it can be rebuilt, I would talk to a machine shop and see what they think, it should be free to ask questions about the possibility.

300/302 it and you will be probably not be so happy as far as power at the pedal, or the pump as both have to work pretty hard due to there size.

Just some more ideas to ponder.......

Old 03-07-2012, 07:45 AM
mjshagnasty
Senior User
Dang no one suggested a rebuild yet except for you... What were we thinking lol. Yea go check on the rebuild and throw on some milled 351c heads that way you can run the cheap pump gas or if you don't mind paying for premium gas throw on some Aussie heads. Then you have chi 2v heads and the classic edelbrock. For a good reference if you plan on rebuilding talk to the guys over at TMeyer, Inc. Precision Automotive Machining then look at this article 351M/400 Performance Build Up

Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had three 79 sc in my construction fleet for a number of years . One had the 351 m,one the 400 and one with the 460 . All were f-150s, all used about the same amount of fuel,but the 460 would walk off and leave the other two with the same amount of tools ,lumber or what ever on them. They are all three good truck engines ,but i liked the 460 the best. All use the same c/6 tranys ,but the 460 had different mounts and towers . I had the 300 inline 6 in a smaller f-100 which i changed to a 302,best move i made in the small f-100. The information i give you is from operating these trucks for over ten years ,not just reading about them . Like i said ,they all got about the same mpg that was with ever day use on the job. Not trying to pass everybody ,hill climbing ,running though mud holes ect. I later pulled the 400 out of my 79 bronco and dropped in a 460,best thing for the bronco and the mpg stayed the same. Ran it 15 years,then sold it,sorry i did. So by now you can guess I like the ford 460 , L.O.L.---

Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Idaho_truck
New User
I guess I should have refrased how it "Died" ...
Blown head gasket, and 2 cylenders have very low compression. When I bought this truck 2 years ago, the guy I bought it from said that he believed that the guy before him rebuilt the 400... I figured with the little time I get on weekends to get home and work on my pickup that it would be quicker to get another rebuilt engine instead of trying to rebuild the engine myself and tune it properly...

@ Jim Collins... What mpg would you say you got with those engines on your construction fleet ??

Thanks again for all the help

Old 03-07-2012, 01:54 PM
mjshagnasty
Senior User
Originally Posted by Idaho_truck
I guess I should have refrased how it "Died" ...
Blown head gasket, and 2 cylenders have very low compression. When I bought this truck 2 years ago, the guy I bought it from said that he believed that the guy before him rebuilt the 400... I figured with the little time I get on weekends to get home and work on my pickup that it would be quicker to get another rebuilt engine instead of trying to rebuild the engine myself and tune it properly...

@ Jim Collins... What mpg would you say you got with those engines on your construction fleet ??

Thanks again for all the help
Is the truck your primary transportation. I'm in the same boat as you. I pulled my 390 a month or so ago and started the whole rebuild process.im still not done. I go to college almost 2 hrs away so getting time to build the engine back up is scarce. Lol I'm almost done degreasing the whole thing. Worst part is when you order parts and when you finally get the time to see if they sent you the right part you find out you are missing a couple pieces that you ordered. It's all part of life though. Again I would stick with the 400 rebuilding it into a powerhouse would be the same if not cheaper than swapping in a 460. Kids like you and I need to remember books first, then budget, then choose between spending time with girls or with the truck.

Quick Reply: 78' F150 xlt. Replacing Engine