1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

I want some help & advice about the 1973-1979 trucks.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want some help & advice about the 1973-1979 trucks.

In my search for a Ford Truck I came across this in a local craigslist...

1979 Ford F250 4x4 Flat Bed

Would this be an ok truck to invest in ?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
What exactly do you mean invest in? Is seems to be a nice truck, how does it run? How is the ride? If you like the truck and want to get it to fix it up, sure. It all depends on what you want and are willing to pay. Are they tought trucks, sure are, thats why there is this forum and tons still being driven around. To flip and make make a profit, probibly not. Most people here have spent more money than the truck is probibly work, But that is because they had one in the past and want another, or like mine it belonged to my father in law, my best buddy before he passed away, or they are so darn cool. I will spend no matter what to get mine to restored condition because my father in law and I went fishing in this truck. No amount of money can replace good memories.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ChiefM
What exactly do you mean invest in? Is seems to be a nice truck, how does it run? How is the ride? If you like the truck and want to get it to fix it up, sure. It all depends on what you want and are willing to pay. Are they tought trucks, sure are, thats why there is this forum and tons still being driven around. To flip and make make a profit, probibly not.

I'm looking for a work truck/daily driver/long term project. There is absolutely no fliping it (should I acquire it). My plans for the truck are hauling scrap metal, towing a trailer in the future, make through the snowy winters (hence 4x4), & the aforementioned daily driving.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:13 PM
BignastyGS
Junior User
Looks like that's what the PO is using it for. If it runs well and isn't rotted out all over I say try to bargain him down to try to get a better deal,But,I am a cheapskate...lol Looks like a 73-74 type grilles on it as I thought the79 had black around the headlight area..I am doing my dad's truck over and like Chief,wont stop till it's like I want it. I am sure I'll have more in it than I could sell it for but hey,that's life of an auto enthusiast..If it seems to be what you want,get it..

Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 PM
NW 150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly yes. Other than not having a bed (the bed that came on it), it LOOKS to be a pretty solid truck, especially for ohio. I bought mine up in cleveland and it has some weak spots in the frame and has had the floorboards patched up. If you go to look at it, look at everthing, crawl underneath it look at the mounts and everything. Listen to see if the engine is making any funky noises, tranny shifts correctly, etc. From the pictures though, I'd buy it. I'd probably start at 12-1300 and see where it goes.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 PM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts
What exactly do you mean invest in? Is seems to be a nice truck, how does it run? How is the ride? If you like the truck and want to get it to fix it up, sure. It all depends on what you want and are willing to pay. Are they tought trucks, sure are, thats why there is this forum and tons still being driven around. To flip and make make a profit, probibly not. Most people here have spent more money than the truck is probibly work, But that is because they had one in the past and want another, or like mine it belonged to my father in law, my best buddy before he passed away, or they are so darn cool. I will spend no matter what to get mine to restored condition because my father in law and I went fishing in this truck. No amount of money can replace good memories.
Or because they are f***ing awesome. I say go for it. Maintain a good car buyer posture... Don't be all excited or giddy. In fact act like you have a little sincere disinterest. Tell him your more of a Chevy guy but need a cheap work truck. Ask to come look at it and if its solid ask what he will let it go for. He will say what will you offer and you say $1200 and he will respond with a $1300 counter offer; take that. I did.

Last edited by crazy96863; 03-05-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Thanks for everyones' help. I'll use this advice well. I know that I want that truck but it is about $600 out of my budget without adding fuel costs to get back to NE Indiana. Is it entirely possible that I can get the truck for under $1k by the way it looks now ?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:41 PM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts
Thats up to the current owner. The most likely way to get a truck like that under $1k is if its not running. But then you never know what your really getting. At least if it drives on its own, you know you are getting a complete vehicle no matter how worn it may be.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 PM
74 F350 SCS
Elder User
I don't know if I'd call it an investment vs. a labor of love or passion but you will spend money on it. A lot of folk buy one and then realize they can't afford to fix it up the way they wanted or don't have the time. I love my trucks and I spend money and time on them and never think about whether or not I will ever get my money back. I do it because I love it and memories that I had as a kid, growing up with them. Priceless.

In regard to the price tag...just tell the guy that all you have is $1K, take it or leave it. I doubt the truck is going to be sold quickly with rising gas costs, etc. and he can think about it. One of my golden rules is "always ask". You will be amazed at what you can get if you just ask. Good Luck!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 PM
NW 150
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just remember, especially if the guy isn't a jackass cause some can be, you want to pay YOUR price, but NOT low ball him at the same time. I wouldn't pay under 1,000 I'm pretty sure he won't take it, but maybe you'll get lucky. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by crazy96863
Tell him your more of a Chevy guy but need a cheap work truck.
Hey, I own a 96 Z28 Convertible, nothing wrong with Chevys.

King- it does have a lot of potential and it would be an awesome truck fixed up. They are no honda's on MPG. But the parts are fairly reasonable and I think they are the coolest looking ford trucks made

Like crazy said- because they are f***ing awesome.

It starts with one, then you find another and have to have it. IT's A SICKNESS I TELL YOU !!!

Last edited by ChiefM; 03-05-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: can't type
Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmm. I'm thinking it's priced kinda high.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks pretty good. Could use some TLC, and that old 351m could use a good wash! Priced too high, though. I only paid $200 more for mine.

Hey, I own a 96 Z28 Convertible, nothing wrong with Chevys.

King- it does have a lot of potential and it would be an awesome truck fixed up. They are no honda's on MPG. But the parts are fairly reasonable and I think they are the coolest looking ford trucks made

Like crazy said- because they are f***ing awesome.

It starts with one, then you find another and have to have it. IT's A SICKNESS I TELL YOU !!!
So true. The mileage sucks, but parts are CHEAP. Also get the occasional wave from a fellow FORD fan.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 PM
2506deer
Junior User
not

well that is not a 79 not even close that I believe is a true Hi boy it has the wrong hood grill and mirrors to be a 79 but it does have the right gtill hood and mirrors to be a 74......... Bought a 77 150 4X4 like that for $400.00 a little over a year ago I would say $1000 is more then enough dont mention it is a high boy or the price may not change Does have a 4 speed so that is a plus in my book and looks to be an XLT model so that is another plus $1200 max though good luck keep us posted box will be hard to find if you want one

Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 PM
2506deer
Junior User
not

well that is not a 79 not even close that I believe is a true Hi boy it has the wrong hood grill and mirrors to be a 79 but it does have the right grill hood and mirrors to be a 74......... Bought a 77 150 4X4 like that for $400.00 a little over a year ago I would say $1000 is more then enough dont mention it is a high boy or the price may not change Does have a 4 speed so that is a plus in my book and looks to be an XLT model so that is another plus $1200 max though good luck keep us posted box will be hard to find if you want one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I want some help & advice about the 1973-1979 trucks.