1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

grill and rims white?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:59 PM
chappys4life
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
grill and rims white?

Did the factory mid fifty f100's come with a almond/white color grill and wheels? I seem to see that a lot so wondering if it was factory.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 PM
BadAss Beaver
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I remember correctly, 53-54 wheels were the body color and the grille was sungate ivory. In 55, wheels and grille were snowshoe white. Not sure about 56.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 PM
chappys4life
Tuned
Is there a close color to this is spray can form? I was going to redo my grill and might paint my rims the same color. Also how close is wimbledon white?

Old 03-04-2012, 06:32 PM
1951flatheaddave
Senior User
I spray painted my grille whimbledon white, its an off white/ creamy white color. Bought it at advance auto in a can about 8ozs, I really like it but I am not sure how accurate it is to the period.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:31 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Not that anyone asked specifically but for future reference the F250+ were all painted black in the mid-50's. As for the grille I used IH White it has a slight creamy white appearance.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:31 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Not that anyone asked specifically but for future reference the F250+ wheels were all painted black in the mid-50's regardless of body color. As for the grille I used IH White it has a slight creamy white appearance.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by BadAss Beaver
If I remember correctly, 53-54 wheels were the body color and the grille was sungate ivory. In 55, wheels and grille were snowshoe white. Not sure about 56.
You are correct. The 56 wheels and grille were like the '55, unless of course the 56 came with the optional chrome grille.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it a concours show car ???? if not get as close as you can or whatever you prefer and leave the nitpicking of " you have the wrong antenna mast for that year " stuff to the vette crowd . my 53 has a white grill and rims . in fact the whole thing is gonna be the jade metallic green , white and chrome where i can afford it when she goes back together . it ain't bout being correct or pleasing others , it's what makes you happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 AM
chappys4life
Tuned
Not a concors or show car at all its a driver but if I can get it close to stock and some changes here and there I like I am cool with it. Thats why i was curious if there was any rattle can that is close. How close is wimbledon white to sungate ivory? More than likely I will go wimbledon white but I was curious how close it was.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 PM
fastphil
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wimbleton white actually has a little yellow tint to it. I work at Napa, and at our store we can mix automotive paint and put it in spray cans here in the store. I mixed some wimbleton white for a '66 Ford F100 a few days ago.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:01 PM
KJLYPW
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 55 f350
is it a concours show car ???? if not get as close as you can or whatever you prefer and leave the nitpicking of " you have the wrong antenna mast for that year " stuff to the vette crowd . my 53 has a white grill and rims . in fact the whole thing is gonna be the jade metallic green , white and chrome where i can afford it when she goes back together . it ain't bout being correct or pleasing others , it's what makes you happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll second the Jade metallic green, my grill and wheels are standard brown #1, more beige and very close to original color for Canadian built truck.

Last edited by KJLYPW; 03-05-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling typo
Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM
chappys4life
Tuned
My 53 is that color what did it come from? Its not bad but someone did the respray before I got it.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:42 PM
BadAss Beaver
Senior User
Originally Posted by chappys4life
How close is wimbledon white to sungate ivory? More than likely I will go wimbledon white but I was curious how close it was.
I looked a several websites that show a picture of Wimbledon white. It looks a little "whiter" than what I think Sungate ivory was. It's really hard to tell with different computer monitors and the lighting of the pictures. I have an old paint chip chart with a sample of Sungate but it too is very faded. Look at Abe's gallery and his 54 Old Betsy. He's also a member here and posted a reply to this thread. That color looks as close as you'll get to Sungate ivory.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 PM
chappys4life
Tuned
I looked a several websites that show a picture of Wimbledon white. It looks a little "whiter" than what I think Sungate ivory was. It's really hard to tell with different computer monitors and the lighting of the pictures. I have an old paint chip chart with a sample of Sungate but it too is very faded. Look at Abe's gallery and his 54 Old Betsy. He's also a member here and posted a reply to this thread. That color looks as close as you'll get to Sungate ivory.
I really like his grill color I want something close to that for my grill and wheels. That is why I am trying to find a match up.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Yes Sungate Ivory is more cream colored than wimbledon white. When I needed to match paint I sent a self addressed stamped envelope to this place in CT and they sent me a chip of Sungate Ivory and of Meadow Green. I think the paint place made mine a little too cream colored. I bought NOS parking lights and my painted grille does not match the parking light housing exactly.

Go to Earl's World website done by George. George posted on a thread today and can find the link at the bottom of his page. He has pics of paint chips.

Quick Reply: grill and rims white?