6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Interesting how warranty claims are spiking within the last 3 years.

Automotive Warranties, 10 September 2009

Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 AM
jim48
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem rises to a "major problem" until it happens to you.

The term insignificant is in the eye of the victim, I think. Hopefully we can all learn things we can do to lessen our chances of being one of the "insignificant" numbers.

At the very least a discussion of preventitive steps we can all follow is helpful and worthwhile. And we are sure learning about each other here....aren't we??

Jim

Old 03-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Do the newer fords (6.7) have the fuel mixer in the fuel tank? If so I would remove it and do the strait tube mod to get any air bubbles out of the fuel system. Like I mentioned pressurizing the fuel at 30,000psi will make ANY air bubble detonate in the fuel pump causing failure.

Like I see others have mentioned and done I would also have a very good aftermarket or big truck fuel filter and water separator system on the frame somewhere.

Is it possible to add something like 2 cycle oil in the fuel with the 6.7 or does it not take to kindly to stuff like that? Would help to lube the pump. I run it in my 7.3 to help lube the injectors.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmerdave
True! I still think we need to lobby for a higher quality fuel. At least Canada's specs for down here in the US.

Side note: I have a friend whose brother in law used to buy fuel, refine out the excess lubricants, resell the fuel. Then sell the lubricants. Sounds very shady to me.
Not sure about needing a lobby, but agree that the fuel quality/regulations between Canada/US should be considered.

For my Northern Friends -- what is the average price of diesel? And how much are you taxed per gallon?

I am going to assume that the regulations will mean more $ at the pump. We'll see.

I am wondering (convinced) that more regulations (scar rating, etc) will have a bearing on the price --- hope I am wrong.

I am doing business with the 3rd largest refinery in the U.S. and can assure you that there is no H2O in the fuel when it leaves.

Same applies to every refinery that I have been involved with for 25 years.

I suspect that the distribution system (condensation, poor filters, unclean transporter, etc) may need to be looked at.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:25 PM
hw713713
New User
After reading this I am thinking a AirDog with a DAHL 150 on the return side of the AD going back into the filler tube on the truck. And continue to add Ferd's additive. O and keep it routed though the factory water separator for my WIF notice if for some reason I fill up my truck with H2O. Anyone see a problem with this set up? May be a little overkill but $10,000 fix has me scared.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:09 PM
rpbf350
Junior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Do the newer fords (6.7) have the fuel mixer in the fuel tank? If so I would remove it and do the strait tube mod to get any air bubbles out of the fuel system. Like I mentioned pressurizing the fuel at 30,000psi will make ANY air bubble detonate in the fuel pump causing failure.

Like I see others have mentioned and done I would also have a very good aftermarket or big truck fuel filter and water separator system on the frame somewhere.

Is it possible to add something like 2 cycle oil in the fuel with the 6.7 or does it not take to kindly to stuff like that? Would help to lube the pump. I run it in my 7.3 to help lube the injectors.
AirDogII (DF-165).

Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 AM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Well Ford Has treated me very good as a customer. Thats why I have a new Ford in my driveway. They are Quality in my mind wouldnt buy anything else for a truck. These forums are one sided you dont what these customers do with the truck, but Ford does they have a black box that knows all.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 AM
farmerdave
Senior User
I'm know where your headed Adobe. And I agree with your logic.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FONRDAY
Well Ford Has treated me very good as a customer. Thats why I have a new Ford in my driveway. They are Quality in my mind wouldnt buy anything else for a truck. These forums are one sided you dont what these customers do with the truck, but Ford does they have a black box that knows all.
Now that there is some funny stuff...How long does one need to be a Loyal Ford Owner to be treated "good". Is 59 years of never driving or owning anything but a Ford long enough? Does the quality of the truck include the quality of the treatment given to the owner when there is a problem?

Your comments lead me to believe you are new enough to this scene to not have followed the story that lead to this and other threads like it. Impeccable maintenance always performed at a dealer did nothing to ensure the quality of service part of the story.

If you had been following along, you would also know that the black box does not know all...but after my HPFP failure, it does know more. Prior to my failure, the computer did not store WIF indication information. If you had a WIF indication, and I never did, and the light was reset...the data was gone...Ford actually told me to prove I never had a WIF light knowing it was impossible to prove the point in either direction.

Someone might need a little more research....

Now, how about a return to the original points of the thread...

Regards

Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 AM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't done the exact math, but I'd guess its $5-5.50/gal on average in Canada. $1.10-1.40/L or so depending on where you are.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
You know what really pisses me off, our fleet has a 2012 and yea so far it's doing great, so I called to talk to a service manager to ask him about these hpfp issues. His response was, I've never heard of that! It must of been due to the owner not taking care of his maintance like he should. I said well, what do I need to do prevent this from happening to me? He says, read the owners manual and do as it says, and use oem filters and oils, especially fuel filters! He sai the aftermarket filters didn't have the protective lining around the filter to keep the water from passing through it. The part that upset me was he defended ford in saying there is nothing wrong with the truck or pump, but it was the owners fault! Seems like if it happened to one truck a bulliten would be posted at the dealers to watch for this of share the word of how to avoid this catastrophe from happening.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bulla
Seems like if it happened to one truck a bulliten would be posted at the dealers to watch for this of share the word of how to avoid this catastrophe from happening.
The bulletin thats been out for some time shows us how to accurately see fuel contamination damage. Complete with q and a. Such as " Can fuel contamination happen without a wif light, and what will cause it?" Then it proceeds in explaining how it might happen.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bulla
You know what really pisses me off, our fleet has a 2012 and yea so far it's doing great, so I called to talk to a service manager to ask him about these hpfp issues. His response was, I've never heard of that! It must of been due to the owner not taking care of his maintance like he should. I said well, what do I need to do prevent this from happening to me? He says, read the owners manual and do as it says, and use oem filters and oils, especially fuel filters! He sai the aftermarket filters didn't have the protective lining around the filter to keep the water from passing through it. The part that upset me was he defended ford in saying there is nothing wrong with the truck or pump, but it was the owners fault! Seems like if it happened to one truck a bulliten would be posted at the dealers to watch for this of share the word of how to avoid this catastrophe from happening.
It is painfully obvious that you know a bunch more than that service manager...but he was spouting the company line

Regards

Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was able to hold out and not read this thread until yesterday. Wow, lots of stuff.

Unfortunately, it is my opinion that the saying "chicken or the egg". Comes to mind.

Here is my thought:

1. HPFP failure has nothing to do with water, dirty fuel, operator error, fuel scar rating.
2. Nothing wrong with working at it though.

What the core of the problem is? Certain service advisors don't know how to deal with their jobs, get in warranty trouble with ford, and then make bad decisions trying to cover their behinds.

Bosch or anyone else can't make 300,000 precision devices without a few of them failing. It just happens.

Now, if someone does get a ton of water in their fuel, draining it from the separator repeatedly, then driving on and has a failure, that is different. So the talk of protection is cool if you think you need it.

But, 99% of the energy in this topic is mis-directed. Warranty spike? Yes, look at the complexity of the engines. Goes hand in hand. Same thing with race cars. The more you push the tolerances, the more maintenance and repair is required.

Just my opinion, I'm not important enough for y'all to go nuts if you don't agree. Have fun with the projects!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:17 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Here is my thought:

1. HPFP failure has nothing to do with water, dirty fuel, operator error, fuel scar rating.
If none of these factors are contributors to the small but growing number of Ford HPFP failures and the prevailing reason for failure is an occasional "bad" HPFP, why has Ford decided to audit all HPFP failures and not warranty any that have even the slightest chance of emulsified fuel infiltration?

If poor scar ratings are not a contributing factor to the pump failures, why is there a significant decrease in the HPFP failures in Canada where the fuel is mandated to be 460 Scar?

I agree that a certain number of a high volume complex assembly like the Bosch CP4 series HPFP will fail. If my pump, which did just fail due to poor fuel lubricity, had been replaced under warranty as it should have been, we would likely not be having this discussion. GM has decided there is enough potential for poor fuel lubricity related HPFP failures to warrant replacing these pumps under warranty coverage. With a problem just as large as Ford's, GM has avoided the bad publicity.

Regards

Quick Reply: Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs