6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:51 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I have the fix all for all you guys!

LOL

Ol Reliable..

that would be sweet to see someone swap one in a 2008 + truck.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I'm working on a project right now, and it might be ready in a few days for pictures, and a trial run.

It is essentially a mesh "sock" that fits into the fuel filling hole, and it is comprised of copper wires wrapped in nylon thread, formed into a long sock looking thing.
It's a lot of work to make so far, but it should work.

I have a circuit set up on an old electronic breadboard kit, and running the wire sock connected to a capacitance circuit, water seems to be easily detected.

My plan is that this would stay in the filler neck, and when you fuel up, if theres any water, it would beep. That way you know before you fill up on bad fuel.

Once i get further along here, i'll post up some pictures and findings. So far it's looking really promising though, seems to detect the water before it even goes past the wires.

I wonder if it will give different readings for different quality fuel as well? Man, that would be awesome. Kind of like a fuel fill analyser ...

Old 03-08-2012, 10:46 PM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
that would be sweet to see someone swap one in a 2008 + truck.
Much like harnessing some Clydesdales to the front tow hooks and going back to old fashioned horsepower. But fortunately this isn't the 7.3L forum and therefore it's not a relevant idea to prevent HPFP repairs.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by PITS
Reminds me of the old hydrogen generator days, lol.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Much like harnessing some Clydesdales to the front tow hooks and going back to old fashioned horsepower. But fortunately this isn't the 7.3L forum and therefore it's not a relevant idea to prevent HPFP repairs.

You and your logic ruining everything.

Can the 6.7 be ran on lower fuel pressure and tuned for the change?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm working on a project right now, and it might be ready in a few days for pictures, and a trial run.

It is essentially a mesh "sock" that fits into the fuel filling hole, and it is comprised of copper wires wrapped in nylon thread, formed into a long sock looking thing.
It's a lot of work to make so far, but it should work.

I have a circuit set up on an old electronic breadboard kit, and running the wire sock connected to a capacitance circuit, water seems to be easily detected.

My plan is that this would stay in the filler neck, and when you fuel up, if theres any water, it would beep. That way you know before you fill up on bad fuel.

Once i get further along here, i'll post up some pictures and findings. So far it's looking really promising though, seems to detect the water before it even goes past the wires.

I wonder if it will give different readings for different quality fuel as well? Man, that would be awesome. Kind of like a fuel fill analyser ...
Hummm, I wonder if this could be installed between the LPFP and HPFP? Then if you hear the beep, stop the engine, open the valve on the in line "T" then flush the bad fuel out with the LPFP untill it quits beeping.
I have no clue, but.................

EDIT: I posted to be subscribed to this thread. lol

Old 03-09-2012, 10:06 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Hummm, I wonder if this could be installed between the LPFP and HPFP? Then if you hear the beep, stop the engine, open the valve on the in line "T" then flush the bad fuel out with the LPFP untill it quits beeping.
I have no clue, but.................

EDIT: I posted to be subscribed to this thread. lol
It could, but I'm thinking it would be more useful in the filler neck?

My thought process is that if any large amounts of water are prevented from going in the tank, any small amounts from condensation etc would be easily stopped?

What you think?

Plus this wouldn't require taking any fuel system apart ....

Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
You and your logic ruining everything.

Can the 6.7 be ran on lower fuel pressure and tuned for the change?
Thats what I was also wondering.

Do a tune that run bigger pulse width and less pressure, unless required for high power.

Reduce the average PSI by half or so.

And also, if you put bigger injector tips, you should be able to reduce pressure also.

I think most of the pressure is more for emissions than power, while 30,000 PSI atomises fuel good, 15,000 should also work a bit, lol.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:27 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
There should be more options for these newer engines in the near future, the price on standalone engine and powertrain controllers is going down fast.

These stand alone units are not hard to program like the stock ones, expect to see forums pop up and lots of tune sharing to start happening.

They also can control ever part of the truck any way you could imagine, there are no limits or ford presets, just whatevers programmed in.

Destroked - THE Cummins Conversion Company : Zeus One unit for the cummins engines.

There are a lot popping up lately, I expect within the next 3 years, these may easily overtake tuners. Most are open source, so you can share tunes, modify tunes, etc.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:33 AM
GoCamping
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in what you find. How little water does it take to trigger, does it detect water in "solution" (mixed in with diesel) etc... But neat idea

Last edited by GoCamping; 03-09-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: can't quote right
Old 03-09-2012, 11:22 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by GoCamping
Interested in what you find. How little water does it take to trigger, does it detect water in "solution" (mixed in with diesel) etc... But neat idea
It detects any moisture, however right now it consists of a frequency loop generator, and an audible tone through a speaker, which is altered by the fuel & moisture.

Right now, depending on your ear to decipher variation in fuel quality.

It could be very possible to alter the circuit a bit to do much more advanced analysis.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
I think you guys will not even see it till version 2 is under way , lol...

Old 03-09-2012, 01:13 PM
farmerdave
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about trying to get a better diesel fuel? I sent an email and promptly got a call from some guy who basically told me I could use an additive.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:12 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I'm thinking most of us want better fuel, but this device i'm talking about, along with the other stuff in this thread, is mostly aimed at a "what if" scenario.

Like you could go years putting good fuel in, then what if you fill up one day and get a gallon of water from your usual station....

Do you trust the stock system to alarm you and clean out the water?
Maybe you think that rare case is not worth doing anything about.

I think that because of the expensive fuel system on these newer trucks, extra steps could be taken to insure this doesnt happen.

Quick Reply: Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs