6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I think that technically, the only way to stop an HPFP from destrying the fuel system is a high pressure filter.

However, if a larger company seemed to remedy the issue with a bolt on water seperator, I think we need to look at this VERY hard and close.

Can we get any more technical information about that engine, issues, etc so we can pick apart some information?

Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by farmerdave
John Deere ran into a similar problem a few years back. They are using high common rail pressures and EGRs in the 2009ish models.

Here is a picture of their solution. This is a dealer installed option. It is a 60micron filter/water seperator. It is mounted outside the frame, before the two factory filters.

this looks like a gascolator on the firewall of piston aircraft.

not a bad idea. simple pull of a handle during preflight and any water is dumped.

as for the trucks, ford says filters at 15K. i do mine at 10K.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 AM
farmerdave
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
. Just got off the phone with my JD service tech. They have two 6.7 Ford trucks with tool boxes/small cranes. . They changed fuel suppliers. I will definitely get more information Monday.

That water separator is mounted to an 8530 and my tech thinks it wouldn't help my Ford.

Last edited by farmerdave; 03-18-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: i need more info/proof before posting
Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Attachments, water separator, severe-duty

The severe-duty water separator factory-installed option or field-installed kit is available for locations where fuel quality can at times be in question. This kit will extend service intervals and help protect the tractor fuel system from damage if the fuel contains more water than the base filtering equipment can handle on a continual basis.

The 60 micron constructed of stainless-steel filter element must be backflushed whenever the bowl is half full of water. The filter can be backflushed up to five times before the filter must be removed and cleaned. Filter element must be replaced when light is no longer visible through the filter. The replacement interval will vary depending on fuel quality.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Can anyone come up with any numbers regarding pump life without water?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 AM
farmerdave
Senior User
My mechanic might be full of it. I will get the whole story Monday morning. I don't know who changed the pumps (JD or Ford) or why exactly yet. Don't jump to conclusions.

That 8530 is a 9L with 25 to 29,000psi.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:03 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
Can anyone come up with any numbers regarding pump life without water?
1200 hours and 34950 miles...no water found in the fuel system...verified by several Ford diesel techs and 3 diesel engineers...

If a large quantity of water gets through the DFCM and destroys the HPFP annd the owner did nothing to mitigate the damage potential, I would agree that Ford has no reason to warranty the HPFP...but that much water can likely be assigned a culpable party.

The discussion needs to include the failures of the pumps due to other causes...not just water. The real concern is that it does not take much of anything to destroy the HPF system.But it takes a bunch of money to fix it.

Regards

Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 AM
farmerdave
Senior User
I just got off the phone with JD... My mechanic was confused. The pump change was on a 6.4L.

I repeat. A 6.4.

I apologize for false info.

The service manager had nothing but good things to say about the 6.7L

Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 PM
los341
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been away for a while... I see a lot of discussion has taken place here. Many great ideas for reducing the risk of a failure, but only 1 idea for containing the damage. Like Parkland, I am looking at this more from the perspective that like all mechanical things, the pump will fail, it's just a question of when. What I don't like is the >$10k bill for when that failure occurs because of all the collateral damage.

It seems like a hundred ideas have been presented to lower the risk of a failure, from inspecting the fuel before it is even put into the tank, to an independent water separation system. The graph of MTBF vs fuel lubricity says a LOT. Maybe it makes sense to put in more PM-22A than is recommended. But yes, there have been a lot of GREAT ideas in this thread on how to improve the fuel quality before it gets to the pump. Thank you!

I sent an email to Norman Filters about their 30k filter. I asked them if there is any way they can guarantee to stop fuel flow when the filter becomes clogged. Here is their response:

"At this point we do not have a method to prevent the element from collapse above 4500 PSI delta-p. Another way to look at it is the fluid flow will virtually stop before the 4500 differential is reached. The injectors will be starved for fuel and not operate as the element becomes clogged over time."

So apparantly the filter can handle 4500psi delta-p, not 100psi as was previously mentioned. This is very impressive for a filter!

I agree with Norman on their point, but there is a problem. If you're driving down the road at 75MPH when the pump fails and the filter fills up with metal fragments, yes the injectors will become starved for fuel at the same time the pump is failing, but the engine is still "motoring" due to the vehicle's momentum, and may continue for quite some time before coming to a stop. The filter must withstand this pressure without collapse.

It would be nice to see a pump volume vs. pressure output curve during a failure, but someone would have to sacrifice a pump to do that! I'll guess that the pressure drops off very quickly as the pump begins to fail, and once it gets into a state such a rickatc's, it probably could no longer put out more than 1000psi, but how long does it take to get to that point?

Carl

Old 03-19-2012, 01:01 PM
rpbf350
Junior User
Originally Posted by los341
Been away for a while... I see a lot of discussion has taken place here. Many great ideas for reducing the risk of a failure, but only 1 idea for containing the damage. Like Parkland, I am looking at this more from the perspective that like all mechanical things, the pump will fail, it's just a question of when. What I don't like is the >$10k bill for when that failure occurs because of all the collateral damage.

It seems like a hundred ideas have been presented to lower the risk of a failure, from inspecting the fuel before it is even put into the tank, to an independent water separation system. The graph of MTBF vs fuel lubricity says a LOT. Maybe it makes sense to put in more PM-22A than is recommended, as it appears that lower scar ratings. But yes, there have been a lot of GREAT ideas in this thread on how to improve the fuel quality before it gets to the pump. Thank you!

I sent an email to Norman Filters about their 30k filter. I asked them if there is any way they can guarantee to stop fuel flow when the filter becomes clogged. Here is their response:

"At this point we do not have a method to prevent the element from collapse above 4500 PSI delta-p. Another way to look at it is the fluid flow will virtually stop before the 4500 differential is reached. The injectors will be starved for fuel and not operate as the element becomes clogged over time."

So apparantly the filter can handle 4500psi delta-p, not 100psi as was previously mentioned. This is very impressive for a filter!

I agree with Norman on their point, but there is a problem. If you're driving down the road at 75MPH when the pump fails and the filter fills up with metal fragments, yes the injectors will become starved for fuel at the same time the pump is failing, but the engine is still "motoring" due to the vehicle's momentum, and may continue for quite some time before coming to a stop. The filter must withstand this pressure without collapse.

It would be nice to see a pump volume vs. pressure output curve during a failure, but someone would have to sacrifice a pump to do that! I'll guess that the pressure drops off very quickly as the pump begins to fail, and once it gets into a state such a rickatc's, it probably could no longer put out more than 1000psi, but how long does it take to get to that point?

Carl
I agree that this is the only way to prevent the extended damage to the system.

how about adding an electrical circuit to the filter. A control box with a built in "kill" circuit to tie the trucks ignition to, 2 pressure switches and a dump valve to a vented canister.

when the circuit senses a pressure differential (user set) between the incomming and outgoing side of the filter, the circuit activates a built in "kill" circuit and opens the dump valve, thus releaving any pressure to the filter. The canister would not have to be much bigger than about 1 gallon I would think.....whatever the pump is putting out for 30 seconds or so for the engine to die......and since it is vented....if it did fill up - it would just leak some fuel out....big deal..

Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I looked into it in depth, the problem is that 30,000psi is way above what 99% of available off the shelf items.

One interesting idea, is to find a special metal detecting circuit, and put the sensor on the lines after the HPFP. Such sensors exist, and can sense types of metal right through other metal. I haven't found any information regarding price, so i'm assuming that would be the problem.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Snakedriver
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Parkland,

What your looking for is a chip detector. These can be found on turboshaft engines and helicopter gearboxes.

Leo

Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Snakedriver
Parkland,

What your looking for is a chip detector. These can be found on turboshaft engines and helicopter gearboxes.

Leo
Yes, very similar idea, except there ARE ways to detect also non ferrous metal.

And the more I think of it, this might really be the way to go, possibly being able to install it without voiding warranty even.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
2nd Fuel Filter ??

Can a 2nd fuel filter / water sperator be added inline with the stock one to add additional water seperation capability ?? Well, I really mean... without Ford yelling void Warrentee.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:06 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Can a 2nd fuel filter / water sperator be added inline with the stock one to add additional water seperation capability ?? Well, I really mean... without Ford yelling void Warrentee.
Any modification to the fuel system would raise an issue with warranty.

Ford should have a "heavy duty fuel package" as an option, for guys that don't treat their trucks like a highway princess.

It seems a real issue here might be the water detection on these trucks, maybe it just needs to be a lot more sensitive.

Quick Reply: Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs