Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

installing doors with power windows on truck that had manual windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:23 PM
blazinjames
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing doors with power windows on truck that had manual windows

hey im wondering how difficult it is to install doors with power windows on a 86 f250 with manual windows

Old 03-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Phy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't done it, but it should be pretty straightforward (with a good wiring diagram...)

Old 03-02-2012, 05:45 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm not entirely sure on any possible body style issues, but:
Remove hinges, or hinge pins on current doors and remove doors.
Place new news on truck, replace hinge pin or rebolt hinge.

Ohhhh you mean the wiring part.... Like Phy says, check a wiring diagram. I wouldn't at all be surprised if much of the wiring is already in the truck, like there is a whole mess of cruise control stuff under the hood of my truck, but it doesn't have cruise control.

Most power windows and door locks work be reversing the voltage to the motors (solenoids for locks). Voltage one way makes it go down, reverse it (negative) makes it go up. If the wiring isn't there, you'd need a fused 12V and good ground feeding the switches. The drivers side door probably has provisions to control the passenger window, so that would be two more wires going from the switch on drivers door, through the cab (dash?) to the passenger side door.

The switch is a momentary double pole, double throw. Meaning that power comes into the middle of the switch and go out at the two ends. Push it one way, its a straight connection. Push it the other way, and the power and ground switch spots reversing the motor.

At least I think thats how it would work off the top of my head. If you have a donor truck, it will likely be plug and play although you may need to swap some wiring harnesses depending on how cheap Ford was in the factory.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
tecgod has the wiring summed up pretty nicely.

If you are looking at adding it to existing doors, it's a bolt in as far as the 87-91 body style doors, and I expect it would be for the earlier and later series too. (Actually power door locks can be done as a bolt in swap too.)

Old 03-03-2012, 12:28 AM
dieselsupercab
New User
the power window and lock harness is a seperate harness from the main dash harness on these trucks. i installed power windows and locks in my 85 f250 by using this harness and all door parts from an 86 bronco. it was somewhat easy. there was one blue/black stripe wire that i did have to cut off. that was for the bronco rear window. harness plugs into your fuse box. just 2 wires and 2 circuit breakers.u-pull it junkyard is your best bet. hope this helps.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselsupercab
the power window and lock harness is a seperate harness from the main dash harness on these trucks. i installed power windows and locks in my 85 f250 by using this harness and all door parts from an 86 bronco. it was somewhat easy. there was one blue/black stripe wire that i did have to cut off. that was for the bronco rear window. harness plugs into your fuse box. just 2 wires and 2 circuit breakers.u-pull it junkyard is your best bet. hope this helps.
This is spot on. You need to remove the dash pad to run the wire harness. If you have a parts truck it is all plug and play.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:51 PM
oldkountryboy
Elder User
how hard would it be to just get the power window unit and install in a manual door ?

i would love to upgrade mine but i dont want to have to change out the entire door

Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 PM
dieselsupercab
New User
you don't have to change out the door, but you will need all wiring, switches, etc. you will need the power window regulator&motor assembly as well. for the job to look factory, also grab the door trim panels. you will also need to drill out the rivets holding the regulator/motor in the donor door, and drill out the rivets holding the manual regulator on your door. takes a 1/4" bit.I have seen some people use bolts when re-assembling, but the rivets are easier to use in my opinion. if you want the power locks as well, you will need to drill the rivet that holds the actuator to the door and grab the rod and clip that goes with it. hope this helps.

Last edited by dieselsupercab; 03-06-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 PM
oldkountryboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by dieselsupercab
you don't have to change out the door, but you will need all wiring, switches, etc. you will need the power window regulator&motor assembly as well. for the job to look factory, also grab the door trim panels. you will also need to drill out the rivets holding the regulator/motor in the donor door, and drill out the rivets holding the manual regulator on your door. takes a 1/4" bit.I have seen some people use bolts when re-assembling, but the rivets are easier to use in my opinion. if you want the power locks as well, you will need to drill the rivet that holds the actuator to the door and grab the rod and clip that goes with it. hope this helps.
sounds easy, now the hard part finding a donor in this area, lol

thanks
jeff

Old 07-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Joshs 93
New User
Originally Posted by blazinjames
hey im wondering how difficult it is to install doors with power windows on a 86 f250 with manual windows
i have a 93 f150 i just got a new door thats a manual to replace my auto . Can i just swap the auto internals to the manual ?

Old 07-06-2016, 11:44 AM
awhtx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joshs 93
i have a 93 f150 i just got a new door thats a manual to replace my auto . Can i just swap the auto internals to the manual ?
Yest, that's all there is to it.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:31 AM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a power lock/windows harness forsale in the classifieds. Check it out. It looks good. I was going to get it but can't at this time.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:46 PM
Building_Fords
Senior User
Its Really pretty easy

I switched my Manuals for power in an 84 F150 I had and did just the opposite in my current truck. The regulator was held in by three rivets, I just hit them with the grinder and removed the hand crank regulator. Then I put the motor in, lined up the holes and used small bolts wth lock washers and Loc-Tite to mount the motor. I got the wiring harness from a salvage yard, ran it into my fuse box and pugged it in. It wasn't all that bad.... I actually did the reverse on the truck I just built, and have now decided to put power doors back in... I needed new doors and most that I have seen have power so I just said the heck with it, Ill put the new doors on then get the wiring harness. I actually think I have an extra one.... Good luckhttps://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/images/smilies2/thumb.gif